Is anyone buying revolvers these days?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I called a guy on the GB transfer dealer list last night. He's never done an outgoing transfer so I described the process and he's going to study up and get back to me.

contender

Ruger Guru
One of the biggest things that creates an expense is the method of shipping. USPS Priority for a handgun is the cheapest,, and actually fairly secure as compared to other services.
Have your dealer look into that as well.

jdowney

Bearcat
Second on the USPS, that guy I liked in Alamo told me once that he just filled out a form and brought a license copy with him to the PO and that it was routine. I never had to bring him packing materials since he did a lot of transfers, but that's another thing you can do easily to help out the FFL.

If you want the cheapest, usually standard priority (non-flat rate) is it. I usually went with medium flat rate though, made shipping cost predictable for the auction (I only sold on GB, I liked the format) and I could pre-pay my FFL to help keep the arrangement simple for him too. I thought it was worth spending a couple extra bucks for simplicity, everyone gets to make that kind of call for themselves.

Back in the old days, I had an FFL and was a Postmaster as well. I did LOT of firearms shipments and even authored a "cheat sheet" for counter persons to use for handling firearms shipping by USPS.
Some dealers are either uninformed or overly cautious when they choose to not accept a shipment from a non-FFL. Their business, their choice. I do have to say that an insured package addressed to a store front or known FFL is a "target" for unscrupulous/criminal minded employees.

Mobuck said:
I do have to say that an insured package addressed to a store front or known FFL is a "target" for unscrupulous/criminal minded employees.

I have always assumed that to be the case . . . particularly with a relatively heavy for its size "gun-shaped box". :roll:

I got a response from a local FFL who will do the transfer/shipping. He actually wants to learn the legal/proper way to handle this sort of transfer.
I'll let you know when I get ready to post the guns on the classified page.

jdowney

Bearcat
Ale-8(1) said:
Mobuck said:
I do have to say that an insured package addressed to a store front or known FFL is a "target" for unscrupulous/criminal minded employees.

I have always assumed that to be the case . . . particularly with a relatively heavy for its size "gun-shaped box". :roll:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

jdowney

Bearcat
Mobuck said:
I got a response from a local FFL who will do the transfer/shipping. He actually wants to learn the legal/proper way to handle this sort of transfer.
I'll let you know when I get ready to post the guns on the classified page.

Sounds like you found a good one :mrgreen:

Apologies for explaining the obvious a few posts above, in retrospect that must have been annoying....

tinman

Buckeye
Gimme a good price or list something I'm particularly interested in, I'll at least give it a look ....... revolver or semi ...... does not matter. 8)

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
If you don't think the revolver market is hot try buying a new S&W short barreled .22 revolver on Gunbrokers.

PM9

Bearcat
I figure a revolver will be the last on the gun grabbers list. I just bought a SP101 .22 because of the abundance of 22 shorts I have seen on the shelves of some LGS.
It is a good shooter that can be made into a really good shooter with a tiny amount of work.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
My last Purchase was a wheel gun I've been shooting for about 55 years and started with a revolver and have loved them ever since.