Is 40S&W becoming an obsolete caliber?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

...and when buying ammo from anyone, anywhere, anytime on the internet, it's very important to always get a quote on the cost of shipping BEFORE making a bid or commitment - a lot of GunBroker auctions simply say "Actual" or "Buyer pays actual shipping costs for the following option(s)", and the cost they charge (including hazardous materials fees) can be sky high!

JBP

Single-Sixer
...and when buying ammo from anyone, anywhere, anytime on the internet, it's very important to always get a quote on the cost of shipping BEFORE making a bid or commitment - a lot of GunBroker auctions simply say "Actual" or "Buyer pays actual shipping costs for the following option(s)", and the cost they charge (including hazardous materials fees) can be sky high!
I've found most sellers on Gunbroker (myself included) give shipping charges upfront. You certainly can get sticker shock on some ammo sites. I've backed out before completing many a sale when I thought shipping charges were too high. I've found it pays to register for emails on sites such as grabagun.com so you will be notified when they are running a sale. As an example I just paid $12.99 shipping for 10 boxes of Makarov ammo.

kcsteve

Single-Sixer
I'm pretty sure they don't charge hazmat fee for loaded ammo.
Only for primers and powder. They haven't figured out that ammo has primers and powder.
Seriously, primers and powder could explode all at once. Ammo would explode one at a time, theoretically.

JBP

Single-Sixer
Only for primers and powder. They haven't figured out that ammo has primers and powder.
Seriously, primers and powder could explode all at once. Ammo would explode one at a time, theoretically.
They don't. I've been thinning the herd since the pandemic and selling the matching ammo that I have no more use for. Most of the time I use a box that I received ammo in that already has the white and black hazardous label on it. One time though I used a box with an orange label w/o realizing this meant that the material is explosive. UPS wouldn't deliver it until I made a bunch of phone calls and emails. I generated the shipping label at home and and UPS didn't pick up on it when I dropped it off.

... One time though I used a box with an orange label w/o realizing this meant that the material is explosive. UPS wouldn't deliver it until I made a bunch of phone calls and emails. I generated the shipping label at home and and UPS didn't pick up on it when I dropped it off.

So, is UPS still the only option around for shipping ammo? Years ago, I sold a nice Marlin 336 on GunBroker, and the buyer wanted the ammo, so I agreed to sell that also. Shipping the rifle was no problem (USPS Priority Mail), but getting the ammo shipped was a nightmare. The local UPS office insisted they couldn't take it, so I drove around to everybody else (Airborne, DHL, FedEx, etc.) and nobody would touch it. Finally had to call UPS corporate, and get somebody there to walk their local employees through the ammo shipping process. Swore right then and there I would never, ever sell ammo again unless it was "face-to-face"!
:)

DEG1

Bearcat
I buy ammo from Gunbuyer,com, reasonable ammo prices and shipping charges, they always use UPS to deliver. Never any special markings or stickers on the shipping boxes.

JBP

Single-Sixer
So, is UPS still the only option around for shipping ammo? Years ago, I sold a nice Marlin 336 on GunBroker, and the buyer wanted the ammo, so I agreed to sell that also. Shipping the rifle was no problem (USPS Priority Mail), but getting the ammo shipped was a nightmare. The local UPS office insisted they couldn't take it, so I drove around to everybody else (Airborne, DHL, FedEx, etc.) and nobody would touch it. Finally had to call UPS corporate, and get somebody there to walk their local employees through the ammo shipping process. Swore right then and there I would never, ever sell ammo again unless it was "face-to-face"!
It's impossible to ship a firearm in my area unless you are a commercial FFL. I paid through the nose to ship the last two rifles I sold on Gunbroker. I only have a NEF 25-06 left that I want to sell and for what I would get for it I'll probably sell it locally.

pyth0n

Buckeye
May be it changed from when I managed a gun store, a long time ago in a galaxy far away, but I had to do hazmat for all ammo & components I shipped to customers. Even had UPS lose the docs & loaded ammo stuck in Alaska because they could not deliver to the customer with out the paper work. Funny they were able to get it to Anchorage from AZ without a problem.

Have gun-will travel

Single-Sixer
At one time I had about 14 pistols chambered in 40 S&W. I have a Glock 23 that I converted to 357 sig, and one converted to 9mm,a S&W M&P with 9mm,40 S&W and 357 Sig barrels. My old duty pistol , P226 SS in 40S&W and one that my wife bought for me that I can't sell, a Kahr PM 40.
I haven't fired a single round of , 40 S&W in nearly 7 years (except 2 years i qualified with a 40) maybe longer. My department Switched to M&P 2.0 in 9mm. Arthritis is causing pain in my hands and the 40 is to snappy.

... I haven't fired a single round of , 40 S&W in nearly 7 years (except 2 years i qualified with a 40) maybe longer. My department Switched to M&P 2.0 in 9mm. Arthritis is causing pain in my hands and the 40 is to snappy.

if you reload, this article may be of interest - the author mentioned having hand/wrist/elbow issues:

I had about a thousand 180gr cast RNFP bullets on the shelf, so I tried them with the Bullseye, Titegroup and WW231 loads listed, and they cycled & locked back the slide on empty, on all of my .40s (using factory recoil springs). The only exception was a Ruger P91 (factory 22 lb recoil spring, IIRC?) and it also functioned fine when I swapped in a factory P90 spring. The Bullseye load was a bit more accurate than the 231 & Titegroup loads in most of my 40 cal firearms, so that's what I usually load (YMMV). I've loaded many hundreds of rounds of these - the recoil is very definitely reduced, the sights come back on target fast, and IMHO it's pure fun at the range!

Last edited: