Irrational fears

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vito

Hunter
I'm not superstitious and I think of myself as rational, but I guess I am more like the rest of the unwashed masses in that I do have one irrational fear that I cannot seem to overcome. Many, many years ago (like over 50) I stepped out of the house I was living in to let my dog do his business. It was about midnight, raining like crazy in normally bone dry El Paso, TX, and I was wearing nothing but a thin cotton bathrobe over my birthday suit. For some unknown reason my wife decided to join me outside, and as she stepped out the door slammed shut and locked behind her. There we were, getting soaked in the rainstorm, unable to get back into our house. Fortunately this was on a military base, and a cold wet half mile walk took us to the Military Police station where they gave us a lift back home and used their "Master" key to unlock our house for us. I guess I didn't learn my lesson about always keeping my keys with me, and not a year later, this time while my wife was back East visiting family that I ended up locked outside the same house again in the middle of the night. Again the MP's saved the day for me, but it was particularly embarrassing since I was their boss as the temporary Provost Marshal. From that time on I vowed NEVER, EVER to walk out the door of wherever I lived without my keys in my pocket, even for just picking up the newspaper on the front lawn, or going to the mailbox or whatever.

Fast forward to today. My home has several entrances, all with deadbolt locks that cannot possibly lock themselves. Yet even now I cannot step outside my home without my keys in my pocket without a feeling of dread and almost panic. I say to myself that this is totally irrational, that with the door or doors unlocked there is NO CHANCE at all that stepping outside will result in my again be locked out of my home, yet I cannot escape that feeling of anxiety which usually will force me to step right back in and get my keys and then go outside again. I'm pretty paranoid about not leaving the house without my gun, or without my phone (in case of a medical emergency, as I am after all, a senior citizen with some issues) but nothing like the need that I have to keep my keys with me at all times.

I guess that if one needs to have at least one irrational fear this is not the worst one to have, but intellectually it still surprises me how much power this "fear" has over me in my day to day life.

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
I haven't done that (knock on wood) but if I did, I have a key pad for my garage door that would let me right in. Same with my truck. If I locked the keys in my truck there's a touch pad on the door that would let me in.

turd

Buckeye
Not the same, but similar. I cannot leave whatever I am driving without the keys. Been locked out, at night, in weird places, and I just developed the NEED to have my keys with me when I leave a vehicle.

blackhawknj

Buckeye
I developed the habit of carrying spare keys years ago,house and car, a key ring in my pocket, spare keys in my wallet, with my previous car I used the keys in my wallet for driving, the key ring in my pocket was the "spare". A Master Key Ring at home.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I used to hide a car key under the bumper in case I got locked out but since cars don't have bumpers or hardly anything metal for a magnet to latch on to I just make sure I carry my AAA card.

tinman

Buckeye
Your not fooling anyone.......we all know it has more to do with the "birthday suit" portion of the story...... :wink:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
It's not that I 'fear' being locked out but an ingrained distrust of electrical widgets that causes me to carry a spare door/ignition key in my pocket.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Not an irrational fear, but sort of an ingrained habit: When going for a range session, I never shoot up all the ammunition that I carry with me.

Guess that's from "Stagecoach?"

Bob Wright

bobski

Hunter
be careful, irrational fears can become OCD.
but...i have an irrational fear of leaving my credit card in a gas pump or driving away with my wallet on the roof.
done it too many tiimes!

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
About fifty years ago I started the habit of checking for the door key AND the
car key, on my person, before going out the door.

Strange, I have not had a problem in about fifty years. :roll:

Not really a fear but in this same way... years ago I walked outside from our back screened in porch and the little latch thing did not fall put sat straight up by chance and when the screen door slammed behind me it fell down and latched me out.... every time I go out a screen door now I look and make sure the latch is hanging down... also, my wife absolutely insist our front screen door be latched.. often she locks me out and so off to the side I have hanging on a nail a thin piece of plastic so I can slide it in between the door and frame and unlock the screen door.

Latest posts