Introduction & question about a Tri-color Ruger Lightwei

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hi, I'm Mike from west Kentucky. I have threee great loves in my life- being with my family, restoring old Trans Ams, and shooting sports. That brings me to my question. I have what is called a tri-color Ruger lightweight single-six, as well as the brochure/manual that came with it. Is there a collector market for these guns? My wife and daughter each are wantingtheir own Mark II's and I have a desire for a .45 auto. I never shoot this particular gun (though I have and it is accurate) and I am at the point in my life that I don't care about having a conversation piece any longer. I will post some pics in a couple of days of it if anyone wants to see it. Thanks for letting me in here! Ido also have a Ruger Security Six (the 1976 model) which is a fine gun that I enjoy on occasion.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
kentuckyyeti":zvv5w6gj said:
Hi, I'm Mike from west Kentucky. I have what is called a tri-color Ruger lightweight single-six, as well as the brochure/manual that came with it. Is there a collector market for these guns? I will post some pics in a couple of days of it if anyone wants to see it. Thanks for letting me in here! Ido also have a Ruger Security Six (the 1 model) which is a fine gun that I enjoy on occasion.

Mike, welcome to the RugerForum.

There is a collector market for the lightweight. Pictures are needed and we want to see the Security-Six as well.

popcorn.gif

chet15

Hawkeye
You also happen to live in area where a lot of the dreaded "factory second" Light Weight Single-Sixes were distributed (roughly 300 made). You will want to check to see if there is an "S" stamped after the serial number, or on the bottom of the cylinder frame ahead of the trigger guard. These are highly desired by collectors!
Chet15

KY, welcome to the Forum,,,,yessir, you just may have a "nugget" there, so it behoves you to do your 'home work' on this one, make sure it gets the 'proper' certifications......any box or paper work to go with it, puts "icing on the cake..." and as always said around here, PICTURES please..........

Good luck..............

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey since we are speculating about this "TRI COLOR" why note have it come with a "round gate" too.....lets see an S stamped (on the bottom) with a round gate so it must be an early 2 digit gun and heck lets throw in the "green wreath" box just for good measures :D :D :D

OH YAH WELCOME to the RF Kentucky Yeti......nope no one I know collects these cute little guns.....see ya RR.

I'm looking around for a couple of Mark II's, to trade him, but I come up 'empty'........nah, I already got Laura the ones she needed,but the green wreath box sure would be 'neat'....hee, hee

this was the 'last' one we found for her , over at the Maumee Vally gun show. Nice 3 digit gun, got it at Ohio prices too, ( cost me a trade for a NEW MODEL stainless Blackhawk.....) :roll:

LWAC200470top.jpg

I don't have the box for it. I will try to post pics tonite of the gun, the owner manual and the factory conversion brochure and the factory bag that they put the original parts in. I'm not really into collectible guns (no offense to anyone who is). I want to shoot them. I am aware of the 3 screw guns (years of reading too many gun magazines) but I wasn't aware of flat-gate until someone on Gunbroker sent me a link to a site with a revolver like this one. Someone on Gunbroker also sent me a link to this site- that is how I found it. I looked and there is not an "S" on the revolver.
My best friend's job sent him to Italy a fewe years back, so I keep all his guns for him. He has a Ruger New Model Super Single Six that I occasionally use around here, as well as a Super Blackhawk 44 MAg that he got for graduation (1979).

I am not a good photographer- my close-up pics of the serial number and writing were blurry so I deleted them . I will have to get my daughter to take those pics, I guess. Anyway here are a few pics of it and the papers and original parts bagged by Ruger after the conversion.

lightweight+001.JPG

flatgate

Hawkeye
OK, what I see here is a collectible LWAC, one shipped after early Dec. of '56 since it has a dimpled ejector button. My 203597 was shipped in Jan. of '57 and it has a similar configuration. IIRC, not too late after that date the silver colored cylinder frames were replaced with the "all blue" colors, making your example a sorta scarce variation. All this info is well documented in the Red Eagle News Exchange's Ruger Reference.

Bottom line? Neat gun. Clearer images would go a long way toward allowing the Members here to discern an accurate, current market value. Or, you could just send it to me and I'll give it a nice home!!!! :D

flatgate

PS The conversion kit and it's instruction manual aren't worth $1 to the collectors I know, however the fact that the original parts are there makes the gun, IMHO, worth "full market value" for one in that condition. Again, clear images are paramount.

Hi. A few questions for the Ruger guys.

What is LWAC?

How do you guys think I should sell it? Gunbroker?

I will get someone to get good pics of it and post them. My camera (and likely me too) are photogenically challenged.
Serial number is 204276.

Thank you all for your input.

ltapd204

Single-Sixer
You will probably get a good idea what the gun is worth on this forum. There is a classified section here as well that I would list it under first. You will probably get a buyer here pretty quick if the price is fair on both sides. Lots of collectors on the forum that would like to have the LWAC. I think LWAC stands for Light Weight with Alloy Cylinder.

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey ya made me have to check my "BLACK BOOK"........
I have 204466 and 204467......Thank goodness we didn't have a match I don't think I could stand it.....
L ight W eight A luminum C ylinder :D :D :D
Hey put it on GB with a penny start NO RESERVE.....it's a little scary but it works 96.7% of the time( Yes I made up that number) just make sure you list it on the auction section here on RF......good luck, see ya RR.

contender

Ruger Guru
Posting better pics here will get more info.
LWAC; LightWeight Single-Six Alloy Cylinder.
An auction on Gunbroker will get you good $$$ but some of the collectors here might be able to save ya $$ on listing & final sale fees. Come up with a price & offer it here. Somebody who likes serial numbers may want it bad,,,,!

contender":1welrf11 said:
Posting better pics here will get more info.
LWAC; LightWeight Single-Six Alloy Cylinder.
An auction on Gunbroker will get you good $$$ but some of the collectors here might be able to save ya $$ on listing & final sale fees. Come up with a price & offer it here. Somebody who likes serial numbers may want it bad,,,,!

I'm going to get some good pics of it and post them. I obviously don't know how to take a close-up picture. Maybe then you guys can give me an idea what it is worth. I'm trying to be honest here as I can- I'm like anyone else when it comes to selling something. I don't have to have the absolute top price, but I also don't want to sell something for half of what it is worth either. I want to get as much as I reasonably can to use the money towards a couple of Mark II's, a .45 auto and a Redhawk 454 Casull.

RR- yeah, that wouldn't be good if wwe had the same number! haha