Internet Security

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I know most of ya'll know about being safe on the internet. But last night, I got an email from Microsoft with one of those single use codes for signing into my account on a new device. Only I didn't initiate that. Someone else was trying to sign onto my account.

Then I got this from Amazon about being safe when using Amazon:

1. Never feel pressured to give information (such as your credit card number or account password) over the phone, especially if the call was unexpected. Scammers may try to use calls, texts, and emails to impersonate Amazon customer service. If you're ever unsure, it's safest to end the call/chat and reach out directly to customer support through the Amazon app or website.
  2. Never pay over the phone. Amazon will never ask you to provide payment information, including gift cards (or "verification cards", as some scammers call them) for products or services over the phone.
  3. Trust Amazon-owned channels. Always go through the Amazon mobile app or website when seeking customer support or when looking to make changes to your account.
  4. Be wary of false urgency. Scammers may try to create a sense of urgency to persuade you to do what they're asking. Be wary any time someone tries to convince you that you must act now.
Then, just now, as I turned on my computer and went to my email to copy this text above, I got a Google message about using two step verification when accessing my account.

Not sure what's going on, but it really feels like internet theft and identification theft must be on the rise. Anyway, it's something everyone should think about, that's all.

Been using the two step verification for over a year. Just makes me feel warm and fuzzy when I think of all that internet security going on.
If I ever screw up my cell phone again I'll never be able to log on to anything again. They call it SMS Authentication or Multi-factor verification (MFV)

Chance

Buckeye
Basically DON"T BELIEVE ANY EMAIL CORRESPONDENCE YOU DID NOT INITIATE. Email address lists are bought and sold on the dark web everyday. I run my own mail server and employ a barracuda firewall and email security service. Yesterday I got about 20 emails in the server log that have not been active for close to 20 years. These emails are sent out by the 100s of thousands and even millions. For some reason a lot of folks feel they have to do what these emails tell them. YOU DON"T. The most secure part of your computer is the DELETE key.

Microsoft and Amazon are not going to start an email conversation with you because they love you. This is not rocket science, the scam exists because people do what they are told no matter how stupid it may be.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I hate the emails that look like they come from your bank, even if it isn't your bank. (n)

We get scam attempts over our house phone every day. They claim someone charged $1,000+ dollar items on Amazon or the other is a medicare scam where your doctor authorized some product.

Last edited:

Chance

Buckeye
We don't even answer the phone any more unless a name from our contacts lists pops up. 8 - 10 calls a day wanting to buy (steal) our house. And of course the expired auto warranty on the Explorer we haven't had in over 7 years.

My Barracuda Email Security Service so far this month has blocked 1138 emails, basically 95 a day on average. Unfortunately the same service is not available for phones. NO cell phone firewall exists nor can it exist under federal law. I'm sure most of us are signed in to the "gubments" Do Not Call List which is a total waste, but the phone carriers have stopped any attempt to develop any type of Cell Phone firewall and the Do Not Call List is about as effective as any other "gubment" program.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
NO cell phone firewall exists nor can it exist under federal law.
Yawn . . . . Here we go again.
Set up a unique ring tone for EVERYONE on your contacts list. It can be a unique by user,
or simply one that you like. Make sure the default ring is the ring...ring...ring. When a call
comes in, the ring...ring...ring says you DO NOT KNOW the person calling. You can take the
action YOU decide on. For those that immediately say BUT I GET NEW CUSTOMERS
CALLING ON ANY GIVEN DAY, - - - SO WHAT? DON'T YOU HAVE a phone mail set up
on your phone?!! - - - A new customer WILL leave a message. . . CALL THEM BACK,
after you add them to your contacts list, and assigning their ring tone! Problem solved.

For those that say "I don't have time to do that" I SAY, quit your bitching. Your time,
your problem, quit bitching and solve YOUR problem. The above solution has been
presented no less than FIVE times before this.

As to the E-mails, I run Thunderbird under Linux. My E-mail address is plastered on more
than 250 web pages, yet I have received fewer spams this year than one of the people
above claims in one day. - - - Think about it. - - - For those that whine "I DON'T HAVE
THE TIME TO LEARN", it's your time, which way do you want to spend it?

Kevin: Those are some good guidelines to follow. ;)

Latest posts