"Interesting" Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tslepebull

Single-Sixer
Well I have filled out my Ruger revolver triad this fall. In October I fell in to a really good deal on a stainless GP-100. Earlier this month I traded for a new LCR. Today I found a really interesting 2&3/4" Security Six. What makes it interesting is that it is not origional. Instead it has the grip frame ground to Speed Six configuration and then it was refinished in satin nickle. Sure it is not a collector piece -- it is a shooter but all the custom work is real well done. I am going to see if a set of Speed Six Pachmayr Compacs fit -- and if they do it will be golden.

The battries for my camera are on the charger right now. I will post a photo tomorrow.

Terry T

Buckeye
There was a small run of factory round butt adj. sight stainless security sixes. I would suggest that you call Ruger records to verify your model number. All you need is the Ser. No. The nice ladies there will follow up with a letter, if you ask. If it has an 'R' at the end, it is one of the special ones. They are 'rare'.
I've also seen 'home brewed' round butts so the call to Ruger can verify either way.
Terry T

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Here is a factory one:

GA32RB-151-56039-Left.jpg

GA32RB-151-56039-Boxes.jpg

GA32RB-151-56039-Right.jpg

Ruger may or may not be able to confirm the RB. It just depends on whether it was noted on the invoice.

Tslepebull

Single-Sixer
TerryT this one is home brewed; there was no final polish where the frame was ground and the finish is non standard (satin nickel). I promised wixedmords some photos so here goes.
RugerNov2009006s.jpg

RugerNov2009007s.jpg

As you can see it is not perfect; they plated over some blemishes on the right side of the barrel and there is a little overpolish of the lettering on the right. It also appears to have a taller front sight than yours. However, I wanted it for a shooter and it times up perfectly and the DA trigger is very smooth.

I left it in the Ranger grips that came with it so you can see the different contour of the frame. With a set of Pachmayr Compac grips for the Speed Six it should be perfect. In my opinion all of the 2.75 barrel models should have come with a round grip frame.

Best of all I swapped a Charter Arms Undercover (that I replaced with a LCR two weeks ago) and just a few dollars boot for it.

If it goes off at all, I will be happy.

Terry T

Buckeye
"Tslepebull"
It wouldn't cost anyting but time to confirm with Ruger. Chad has suggested that Ruger was known to 'grind off' sq. butts to meet a round butt contract. Unless you know the folks that did it, I'd call Ruger anyway. After market finish could have been added on top of a factory round butt to restore a "well enjoyed" piece. Might be a dead end, but, what the heck. It woudl be the first with a scalloped recoil shield.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Terry T

Tslepebull

Single-Sixer
Thanks TerryT I'll do that. Based on the serial number (160-series) mine was a 1985 manufacture -- pretty near the end.

Comparing your photographs to mine I need to practice with my camera more.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
I think it looks pretty good Tslepebull.

Thanks for adding the pictures.

It will be interesting to see the fitting of the Pachmayr Compaq's.

That satin nickel is pretty interesting also.

Nice piece.

Tslepebull

Single-Sixer
TerryT, I reduced the size of the page so that I could compare the images your and my revolvers. It really looks like the sight base on your barrel is taller and the actual sight shorter than mine. They must have changed the barrel configuration at about the same time they changed from the non-scalloped to scalloped grip frame. What series (150-, 151-...etx.) serial number is yours? To be honest I think yours is prettier. It reminds me of my 3.5" M27 Smith.

Terry T

Buckeye
"Tslepebull"
First, the other photos and revover belong to 'weaselmeatgravy'. He has a fabulous collection and a light box to take amazing photos.

Second, yes, I've noticed that the top strap on the scalloped frame is a bit thicker making the rear sight a bit higher. In addition, the later barrels are thicker - often called a heavy barrel ( 'H' in the model I.D.). This means that the base of the front sight is not as high.
Hope this helps,
Terry T

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
That one above is a 151 prefix.

Terry T, thanks for the compliment on my pics! But I don't use a light box, just fairly low level indirect incandescent light reflected off the ceiling. Camera on tripod, macro mode, about an F5 aperature, 2 second shutter, trip the shutter with the timer so the camera doesn't move.

Tslepebull

Single-Sixer
Oops, my aplogy to WMG for "awarding" his revolver to Terry T. Whatever photo tricks WMG uses they are great.

The change in barrel contour continues to intrigue me. Does anyone have any idea of when the changes ocurred. If WMG's is a series 151 and mine is a series 160 where in between did the change occur, and why?

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
The sight ramp was lowered to allow for a taller sight blade, which in turn allows room for a triangular red/orange insert, which appears to be painted black on your gun.

According to RENE, the earliest known gun with the front sight insert is 157-27821 (1981 timeframe).

Tslepebull

Single-Sixer
Thanks weaselmeatgravy. That takes some of the mystery out of the different barrel configuration. I still like the shape of yours better but I see their point.

I thought the same thing about the "painted" front sight insert but it appears that it has been fitted with a black plastic insert. I tried to clean it with solvent and even tried to scrape it off with a blade. The white outline in the rear sight has also been painted over. Apparently the previous owner had some reason to change many of the stock features. At least everything seems to be well done. Maybe he/she was taking the two tone concept to its extreme.

speedsixman

Single-Sixer
A question for weaselmeatgravy-

At what series was the barrel changed to the heavy barrel? - or were there some of both made at the same time, and up to what series were the light barrels available?
I prefer the light barrel configuration, but don't know what series to look for.

Myron

Spike

Single-Sixer
weaselmeatgravy":3j9x8yi0 said:
Here is a factory one:

GA32RB-151-56039-Right.jpg

Ruger may or may not be able to confirm the RB. It just depends on whether it was noted on the invoice.

WMG,
Thanks for those pictures.
When my dad passed on, he left to me his old blued finish (pre-151 ser.# prefix) Security Six. He even had the box, manual and all the packaging. I know because I saw it, complete with the little orange plastic cylinder protector.
(ahem)..."Someone" must have tossed it...
Seeing that old Ruger packaging again... I could just cry.
-S

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
speedsixman, the Heavy barrel (H code) was an option on the 4" guns only, starting in about 1978. The Heavy barrel pretty much became standard on the 4" guns by the early-mid 1980's. The short barrels change subtly but not as an option, just by default. The heavier short barrels have a less pronounced angle where the extractor shroud (lug) meets the barrel toward the muzzle. Here is a 3" barrel gun showing the more swept underlug and heavier (late production) barrel:

GS-33PS-162-21553.jpg

Spike, the packageing for a pre-151 (150) prefix gun would not be the same as is shown with that 151 RB gun. Most 150 prefix guns shipped in a white box with a die-cut interior and no shipper:

SDA-32-white-box-1.jpg

Toward the end of the 150 prefix, they switched to a thin orangish-red box with white print and brown cardboard outer shipper:

RDA86-150-91330.jpg

As to the orange insert, here is one that has not been painted over. This is also a fairly hard to find combo, the blue 6" gun with the later long-sweep extractor shroud:

RDA36P-NIB.jpg

Spike

Single-Sixer
Aw, you're killin' me WMG!
The red-orange box and that yellow plastic insert look familiar.

WMG's
SDA-32-white-box-1.jpg

Pop's outfit
dadsrugersdsmall.jpg

dadsmagsepiasmall.jpg

oldruggedcrosssmall-1.jpg

-S

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Spike, that is a good gun, a fixed sight, square butt gun. This was the model that was later to be renamed Police Service Six in the new frame.

Here is the lowest known Police Service Six and also the lowest known new frame gun, this is 150-94446 and was purchased new by my dad in 1974:

SDA84-high-back-150-prefix-1.jpg