Interesting old ad,,

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
While scanning an old magazine on guns,, I found this 1960 ad for Rugers. What made it interesting was the pic of the Flattop 10" 44 mag & the 9-1/2" Single-Six. It also lists the 10" 357 mag but only shows a pic of the 6-1/2" version. Neat old ad!

rugerad.jpg

Chance

Buckeye
Neat Ad

A while back I picked up an early RSS4 #13424x. When I called Ruger the Nice Lady said the gun was a second. I looked at it again and told her there was no S on the frame and she asked me to hold. When she came back she said the gun was not a second but was identified by an S on the paperwork she was looking at to mark it as SHORT barrel (4 5/8").

According to her the very early 4 5/8" and 9 1/2" guns were designated Short and Long respectively. Unfortunately the Letter confirming the May 1959 ship date does not include that info although I requested it.

chet15

Hawkeye
Aha!!!!
I have a copy of a daybook sheet here, a list of something like 30 or 50 .44 flattops, and those are also marked "S" or "L"...what I have also long assumed to mean "short" or "long".....an abbreviation/easy way to write what model it was they were speaking of in the day books. Those without an "S" or "L" notation I always assumed were the in-between 7-1/2" length.
The only flattop in my notes that I've noted which also appeared on that page also matches the designation that was written in.
Later day book pages had the actual catalog number stamped in.
Chet15

americal

Hunter
Seen a lot of Ruger ad's in old Rifleman magazines :) even micro ads for single sixes 8) BUT NEVER THAT ONE! thought I had seen them all ----WRONG :lol:

Thats a nice ad. Unusual indeed.
An oldtimer, well, a little older than me, anyway,gave
me his entire collection fo Americian Rifleman from the
1940's on.
I plan on framing all the ads someday.
I also have most of the GUN'S magazines from the late 50 & 60's.
Wonderful reading material. and the old pricing is a hoot.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yes,, it's a famous ad from The American Rifleman in June 1963.
BUT,,,,,,,,,,, It's an ad for the Carbine 44 mag NOT a handgun!

I'm recalling that ad, which I'm sure somebody will post here soon.

Seems to me it showed a "hunter" holding a .44 Carbine, superimposed over a picture of a rather upset gorilla . . . but no actual mention was made that any gorillas had been shot with the rifle.

Yes? No?

contender

Ruger Guru
Actually,, it's a pic of a guy who had killed a gorilla with his 44 carbine. In the ad,, it appears to have a piece of paper paperclipped to it with a typed note about the hunt. It talks about collecting a gorilla for the LA County museum. It's an interesting story about the guy collecting/hunting a lowland gorilla. With his Ruger carbine 44.

I bought my Old Model Bearcat the same year of that ad (wonder if I saw it; seems familiar) and put Mittermeir stag grips on my granddad's Colt New Service .44-40 about the same time (it was his spare gun in his later life and he had loaned it to his "segundo", but he had carried it in the Phillipines from 1906 to 1910, and may have carried it in Alaska after that. In Mexico in 1916 he was converted to the 1911 auto and never carried anything else afterwards, except a Remington derringer when in court).