Interesting day at the Pawn Shop…

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My wife had to undergo some dental surgery today, so I was left in town with a couple hours to kill. What to do? Visit every pawn shop I could find. I'll only speak to that which I found interesting. There were several Ruger's, but the only interesting one was a 1957 Flat Top .357 that was beat for $899

One shop had a US Arms Abilene. I know that's a "cheap" gun, but boy, was it smooth, well finished, and good looking. $649…I thought that was a bit high.

But- I stopped by one last shop before going back to the dental office. They had a few Ruger's, several Colts, but what caught my eye was some beautiful guns marked CWA on the tag. From what I can determine they are Standard Manufacturing guns- and they were gorgeous. Smooth actions, beautiful case hardened frames, and honestly they could pass for a Colt at a glance. They were priced at anywhere from $799 to $1199. They were used but looked like new. Any thoughts on if these are worth the $$? I may go back next week and take a closer look…

Cholo

Staff member
I just checked and the price has increased from $1,899 to $2,199. They're pretty nice SA's, maybe even nicer that some Colts I've seen here and there. Their case colors have varied quite a bit.

I think they're well worth the prices you quoted. You can see and feel them. If all's good I'd buy one or two. Make certain they're Standard Manufacturing.

I don't understand the CWA on the tag, though. Here's the standard model:

Well, if it's too good to be true, it probably is. I remember seeing "Peacekeeper" on the tag. So I did some research now that I'm home. They're not Standards, they are made by American Western Arms. A clone of the Peacemaker. Possibly Italian parts assembled in the USA? The Peacekeeper was their top of the line revolver…and Colt sued them and won.

Sorry, guys. I'm guessing the tag said AWA. For some reason I did a search on CWA and Standard came up- and they looked the same. Purdy- but I'm not buying.

Good article. Looks like around 2k were made before the lawsuit? I'd buy for the price you were talking.
It's interesting. Those guns have been on my mind all night. They were beautifully finished with smooth actions. They also appeared to have minimal usage. There's definitely a unique background story with minimal production. But it's still an Italian replica. A good one though.

So…buy it as a collectible? Will it ever really be worth more than I paid? I'd probably be better off spending that on a nice OM Ruger, or doubling the investment and buy a Colt.

Buy it as a shooter? Heck, I prefer the Rugers that I already own. For that money I could really trick out one of my New Models. And the factory Gripframes really don't fit my big hand that well, so what's the point?

No, I think I'll pass. If it gets to the point that I feel the need for something like that, maybe I'll get my stainless Vaquero engraved and worked over. Now that would be something.

I found 2 of them on auction from the pawn shop. Here's the GB links-

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
One shop had a US Arms Abilene. I know that's a "cheap" gun, but boy, was it smooth, well finished, and good looking.
I had an Abilene in the 1970's, bought it used, .44 Mag, looked like a Super Blackhawk but with a better finish. The story I got at the time was that it was some Ruger engineers who didn't like the direction Ruger was going (I guess with the New Models and sloppier tolerances and lower quality finish) and decided to start their own shop. Not sure how true that was. Anyway, I really liked that Abilene, fit and finish were great, and it was very accurate. But it wasn't long before an internal spring broke. As I recall, it was a leaf spring with a fork/split and one side operated the cylinder stop and the other was the trigger return. I made a new spring out of the solid end of a radiator hose clamp and continued using the gun, but eventually I sold it after buying a used 1968 Super Blackhawk.

I had an Abilene in the 1970's, bought it used, .44 Mag, looked like a Super Blackhawk but with a better finish. The story I got at the time was that it was some Ruger engineers who didn't like the direction Ruger was going (I guess with the New Models and sloppier tolerances and lower quality finish) and decided to start their own shop. Not sure how true that was. Anyway, I really liked that Abilene, fit and finish were great, and it was very accurate. But it wasn't long before an internal spring broke. As I recall, it was a leaf spring with a fork/split and one side operated the cylinder stop and the other was the trigger return. I made a new spring out of the solid end of a radiator hose clamp and continued using the gun, but eventually I sold it after buying a used 1968 Super Blackhawk.
I was impressed with both the finish and feel of the one I saw.

Johnnu2

Hunter
A few years ago, I took a chance on this Uberti (El Patron) in 45Colt. I just wanted a COLT clone that I could shoot the snot out of and not worry about resale value. Turns out it has the best fit and finish I've ever seen. The action is like butter right out of the box.
Bad news: It came with a rather surprisingly good, discreet safety mechanism.
Good news: I was able to buy a brand new, non-safety trigger and hammer which is just as smooth, and light as the original.
Bad news: Like many fixed-sight single actions, it shoots a little low (easy to fix) and a tad (2-3 inches) to the left. No biggie.
I made some new grips for it and I really love this $450 gun; I aim at 'one o'clock' on the plates at 25yds and never miss.
Here it is.........You likey?

AND WITH THE ORIGINAL GRIPS:

J.

A few years ago, I took a chance on this Uberti (El Patron) in 45Colt. I just wanted a COLT clone that I could shoot the snot out of and not worry about resale value. Turns out it has the best fit and finish I've ever seen. The action is like butter right out of the box.
Bad news: It came with a rather surprisingly good, discreet safety mechanism.
Good news: I was able to buy a brand new, non-safety trigger and hammer which is just as smooth, and light as the original.
Bad news: Like many fixed-sight single actions, it shoots a little low (easy to fix) and a tad (2-3 inches) to the left. No biggie.
I made some new grips for it and I really love this $450 gun; I aim at 'one o'clock' on the plates at 25yds and never miss.
Here it is.........You likey?

AND WITH THE ORIGINAL GRIPS:

J.
I sort of want a Colt clone too- or a real Colt, just to have one. As far as the AWA pistols go- if it was more in the $500ish price range I'd be a buyer. But not at what they're asking. I'll keep my eyes open, some day something will pop up. There's one at Cabelas Glendale AZ for $599 and another on GB. But there's other Ruger's I'd be more interested in…

Latest posts