Interesting Bearcat from dad

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gizmo1964

Bearcat
My father passed away recently and among several NIB Bearcat was a .22 cal with LR and Mag cylinders SN 93-007XX. In the box was a letter from Ruger requesting that he send back the Mag cylinder and they would refund him $40. Being who he was he replied no and saved all the paperwork. He had told me of this years ago and I looked into it. I guess it was a timing issue with the cylinder but neat anyway to have saved it all NIB. Do you think it adds any value? Another was a 1964 bearcat that he bought when I was born. That's the one that means the most.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Sorry for the loss of your Dad.

As noted,, the convertible Bearcats are quite valuable. Your having the paperwork adds to it a bit.
Sounds like your Dad was a very smart gentleman!

Gizmo1964

Bearcat
Yeah he was pretty smart about what he collected. I found another thread that gave more info on one they were selling back in 2020. It suggests that 1000 were made, the first 500 reserved for Ruger subscription holders and did not leave the factory and that as many as 400 Mag cyl were returned. I guess I'm glad he was a rebel and held on to it NIB. I will post some pics tomorrow when I get it out of the safe.

Gizmo1964

Bearcat
Thank you, We had a lot of good years. So here is the Bearcat. Its such a nice piece for someone who collects Ruger revolvers. But that's not me. I'll keep the family treasures like the 1964 Bearcat that he carried on his side but the NIB Bearcat and Single Six's will get sold. Combining his with mine just is more than I want or need. And I will have the dozens of conversations we about this recalled Ruger to remember.

Attachments

• bearcat recall.jpg
    bearcat recall.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 244

KIR

Sparks, NV
Old girlfriend gave me her Bearcat she got from a pawn shop long ago. When she was down on her luck I let her and her G'daughter stay with me until they could get situated again. Right before she left, my B-Day came up and she gave me her Bearcat as she knew I collect and go shooting. I cleaned it up real good so the Bear and the cougar could be seen on the cylinder again. My son and G'daughter came for a visit and we all went to a local firing range. I am not partial to .22 LR and prefer .22 Mag. The bearcat is also a little small for me. Both my son and especially my G'daughter loved it and asked me for it. Since they would have inherited it anyways upon my passing, I figured they could enjoy it now rather than later.

Gizmo1964

Bearcat
Glad they will have one to shoot and make memories with. Some of my best memories are shooting with family. My dad carried the 1964 Bearcat on every hunt and that picture of him with it really stands out when I think of him. Its great that we as a group that share the same love of firearms attach so many memories with guns, family and friends.

Firsttimegrampa

Single-Sixer
Thank you, We had a lot of good years. So here is the Bearcat. Its such a nice piece for someone who collects Ruger revolvers. But that's not me. I'll keep the family treasures like the 1964 Bearcat that he carried on his side but the NIB Bearcat and Single Six's will get sold. Combining his with mine just is more than I want or need. And I will have the dozens of conversations we about this recalled Ruger to remember.
Have you sold the Bearcat and other Rugers yet ? I'm always interested.

Gizmo1964

Bearcat
Still holding on to them. Not sure yet. Cant go wrong sitting on them. I really need to get out and shoot the 1964 Bearcat. That's the only one I will shoot. All the NIB need to stay that way.

Gizmo1964

Bearcat
Oddly there was another Bearcat convertible posted in Guns & Ammo Nov 2022 edition identification and values section. Someone wanted information on theirs and it had gold filled engraving and serial numbers. They believed it unfired but had no knowledge of the gold accents. Has anyone seen this before? Maybe its a DIY thing that someone thought was cool?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
That would be the SBC4-50 model with "50th Anniversary Bearcat - 2008" (1958 to 2008) on barrel and RUGER BEARCAT on frame; both gold filled also with two gold bands on cyl. 2500 made.

Ruger has produced 50th Anniversary versions of their guns actions once they're 50 years old, and used the gold inlay.

Last edited:

Gizmo1964

Bearcat
I was not aware of that edition. But by the S/N given it is the same as mine, a 1993/94 Bearcat Convertible 22lr/22mg with two cylinders and under a recall. SN 93-008XX. Was the 50th Anniversary Bearcat - 2008 with the 22 mag cylinder? His has a picture with the Mag cylinder with gold filled engraving. Now I am curious.

or even 'electrolosis', seen some gun parts over the years appear gold plated, and as for the inlays Bonanza made fillers in various colors, so would not be hard to have it pseudo customized......we had a Bearcat last year we sold that this was done, someone
"pimped their ride".............;)

Gizmo1964

Bearcat
That's what I thought, a DIY job. But man what a crazy rare Ruger with the 22mag cylinder to chose to jazz up on your own. It would have to de-value it I would think.

well that "spare" ( extra) Ruger .22 mag cylinder would be worth a BUNCH to anyone who may have the original convertible New Bearcat, missing one or that was sent back or the 'mag' cylinder disposed of back then,. hell a $40 'rebate' return, offer, was pure BS........

Gizmo1964

Bearcat
Yeah I thought that was funny. So did my dad. I remember him when he told me about the $40 to return it. Said "like Hell I will". He was something. So Glad that I got the 1964 Bearcat that was his carry piece while hunting for 50 yrs. We all have memories that stick out, that's mine.

Terry T

Buckeye
In 2021 I found a loose factory Bearcat .22 mag. cylinder on e-bay for less than $100! Unbelieveable!
I bought a new Bearcat and had my local gunsmith fit the .22 mag. cylinder. Shoots just fine!
My first gun was a Bearcat I bought in 1960. Taught my kids to shoot with it. I still have it with it's box.
Bearcat with 22 mag cyl installed making a convertable.jpg

Last edited: