installing Trausch grip on SP101....HELP!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

onfinal

Bearcat
I'm trying to install my new Trausch grip on my SP101, but am having considerable trouble interpreting the directions.

For everyone who has ever done this installation before, what in the world do you do with the 3/16 dismantle pin that is removed from the bottom of the grip frame when the factory grip comes off? Two separate instruction sheets that came with the Trausch say to "place it in the vertical slot on right top of grip" I'm assuming they mean the Trausch grip, but I don't see a "vertcal slot" in either grip that would come close to accepting the dismantle pin.

Could it be that that particular instruction doesn't apply and the pin actually goes back into the hole in the frame it came out of, or is that wishful thinking on my part? The only way I could possibly see it going into the Traush grip at all would be horizontally across the top with one end anchored in the very thin vertical slot there, but it looks to be way too long for that, too.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I stored the factory disassembly pin in the factory grips when I replaced them with Hogues. I never used that pin since a paper clip is handier so not having it with the gun is no problem.

onfinal

Bearcat
Thanks for both replies. You're both right, the only place for that pin is in the drawer with the factory grip.

The Trausch is an outstanding grip, but terrible instructions.

cwegga

Bearcat
You are looking at the wrong pin. The factory dismantle pin is the small diameter pin that lives under one of the stock grip panels. It slides into a small vertical slot in the Trausch grips. The big pin that holds the stock grips on goes into the box that the Trausch grips came in to be stored with the stock grips. :wink:

onfinal

Bearcat
cwegga":240uw97j said:
You are looking at the wrong pin. The factory dismantle pin is the small diameter pin that lives under one of the stock grip panels. It slides into a small vertical slot in the Trausch grips. The big pin that holds the stock grips on goes into the box that the Trausch grips came in to be stored with the stock grips. :wink:

I long ago swapped out the stock grip panels on my SP101 for some zebra wood panels. If there ever was a factory dismantle pin there it's long gone now, so that accounts for my confusion. In any event, the Trausch grip is on and looking good. There are three other SP101s in the family so if I ever do need that pin I know where to look for one.

Thanks cwegga for clearing that up for me.

apex

Bearcat
I just came home with my Trausch grips for my 101. The screw that came with the new grips (The longer female side) does not go all the way through - it just does fit the way the gun was machined. Anyone encounter this one before?

Thanks.

anraith

Bearcat
I just came home with my Trausch grips for my 101. The screw that came with the new grips (The longer female side) does not go all the way through - it just does fit the way the gun was machined. Anyone encounter this one before?

apex,

Was it that the screw didn't reach all the way through or was it because the screw didn't line up with the frame?

I'm currently having trouble with the latter scenario. The grips don't quite seat on the frame and subsequently do not "quite" line up. It's real close, but not enough to get aligned 100%.

apex

Bearcat
anraith - the grips lined up, I just didn't understand that the screw took some wiggling/forcing to pass through. Don't know if that helps...

anraith

Bearcat
Just an update - Mr. Trausch was very helpful and was able to determine that the problem turned out to be with the screw itself. We were able to get the grips installed and they look, fit and feel great.

To anyone else who may have encountered a similar problem, don't hesitate to email Mr. Trausch. He was extremely attentive to the situation and went above and beyond to help me resolve even this minor problem.

Mark

Latest posts