Installing an Ambi thumb safety on 1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Deltapapa

Bearcat
I tried to find this in the forum but could not. My question is, I bought a Ruger 1911 and the ambi thumb safety from Ruger. It is the pin type and I have not installed one like this before but I have worked on 1911 before. I have also been told that I will have to "fit" the safety to the gun???? how difficult is it to install this thumb safety?? Why does it have to be fitted??

It depends on what you have done to 1911's in the past. If you are comfortable with taking it ALL apart (including the firing mechanism parts) you should be able to do it. It needs to be fitted to insure it makes correct contact with the sear when engaged and that when disengaged it moves out of the way of the sear so that the sear will move. Usually these are cast parts and the portion that contacts the sear may be a bit big and when the safety is flipped up can't engage the sear because of the size, or the indentation on the safety isn't deep enough for the sear to move when it is disengaged. A dremel tool with metal cutting bits, and/or the small stones is enough to do the job. You can also do the work with a good set of metal files. Be very careful and only take a little off at a time, you want just enough off to have it work. You can take metal off, but can't put it on.

When you take the original off, compare it to your new one, you may see the difference. If you can't, install it and see if it functions correctly. If it does, you're done, if not you take off some metal and try again until it functions correctly.

If you plan to do work on your .45 in the future, I would suggest that you get the book: JERRY KUHNHAUSEN THE COLT .45 AUTOMATIC. It is a must have for people who plan on working on their own .45's.

Precision32 said:
Ron, are you sure that you don't have the grip safety confused with the thumb safety?
Duh! Yep, I got a bit of each put into my answer. Yes the grip safety contacts the trigger bow (and new ones sometimes have to be modified also) and the thumb safety contacts the sear (so far I haven't had one that I haven't had to do at least a little work on). I have edited my post so I don't screw people up.

Here's a good presentation about replacing the thumb safety:
http://www.ktgunsmith.com/1911ts.htm