Installed Timney trigger Hawkeye FTW

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I purchased this rifle about 1.5 years ago. Reasons were, wanted a 6.5 CM caliber rifle, bolt action, Left hand bolt. Mainly just to shoot at the range at distances from 100 to 300 yds, or even to 600 yds and elsewhere and enjoy shooting lots of rounds during the day. Scope ended up being 4.5x14 Leupold 30mm tube, wind plex crosshairs.
Shoots fine 3 shot groups under inch, 5 shot groups is what I normally shoot and it is over 1 inch in those.
I have used triggers that broke in oz.'s not pounds in target rifles. This was near 6lbs pull. Heavy but, otherwise not bad. So, being a range rifle not a hunting rifle I got the Timney adjustable trigger. It will adjust from 1.5 to 2 pounds, no weight given to what it will be at. I have it set to break at what appears to be 2.25lbs in the center of it's adjustment.
The 77 triggers are easy to take apart, maybe the easiest of any bolt guns I own. With this trigger install I spend about 4 hours, I work slow and fitting is done a little at a time. I first had to file the trigger vertical shaft, above the trigger pin to pivot freely in the slot. The bottom of the safety needed filed down. Those were done with a flat stone. This trigger has a thicker safety tab than the factory, so thick I used a bench grinder to remove the metal to get a fit. Than double checked it many times and it worked fine. No slam fires, safety works etc. Upon putting the action back into the stock the Timney trigger is so wide that a dremel tool is needed to remove wood only on 1 side to allow a fit with a moving trigger not touching any wood. Using a light it was easy to see what needed removed, than it was just a little work and recheck it. I guess I removed 1/8 wide, 1/8 long slot. It is inside the stock and does not effect the action mounting and cannot be seen when rifle is put together.
I just did this yesterday and have not shot it yet. It is a nice trigger no doubt. As I was doing this I tried the timney trigger spring with all other ruger parts and that was a big improvement. Unknown weight as I did not check it. But, so much of a change I almost stopped to shoot it that way first. That change took minutes not hours.
On my other 77 mark 2, it is a 7mm rem mag hunting rifle with a 8 lb trigger pull. I think I will get a aftermarket spring only for under 10 bucks and try it before spending the 130 for this type of trigger. I would want a 3.5 to 4 lb pull on it as a big game rifle.
Also Timney offers to install their trigger for 40 bucks and shipping. Without tools available I might have gone that route and spend the day doing other things.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
You will enjoy the difference that will make! Next time you want to try a very nice trigger on a range/target rifle try the Timney Calvin Elite! Comes set at 8oz and can be bumped up to 1.5lbs if desired. I have one on a dedicated praire dog rifle and love it! Printed a .2" , 3 shot group at 100 with that rifle! I also have a Rifle Basix 1lb. trigger on another pdog rifle that is a great trigger. This post reminded me that I need to get a couple more triggers ordered!

gunzo

Hunter
Did the Timney instructions indicate that the steps & mods you took could be necessary? Filing, stoning, GRINDING, seem extreme for a "made for the model" replacement trigger.

Yes it explained all I did. Except the need to file the sides of the trigger arm(shaft), I figured it was so close instead of getting another trigger I was up to filing it for 2 or 3 minutes. I was at the range today testing imr4451 powder with 143 gr. bullets. The groups seemed a little larger than with h4350 powder. Could have been the wind, more cross wind today then normal and I shot through it instead of waiting. 5 shots around 1.5 inches at 100 yards. It is a really nice trigger, it may or may not help my groups. Only fired 30 rounds.

Sounds like you covered all the basics. I'm sure you'll notice the results of a reduced and smoother pull when shooting. I've tinkered with many Mauser based rifles and several Savages using various brands of replacement triggers and/or spring kits. Timney was usually the best fix for the Mausers and Rifle Basix has been good in the Savages.
You're obviously well aware of the safety concerns when making changes to the fire control parts and sounds like you're ready for some range time to enjoy the shooting w/o fighting such heavy pull weights.
FWIW, I'm marginally pleased with the factory trigger on my TC Compass2 in 6.5C. I don't exactly like the 'safety tab' trigger. I can live with it but it's not a crisp 2.5# Timney either.

Since I installed the trigger, I have been pleased with how well the rifle shoots. I would need to pull out targets to verify but 5 shot 1 inch groups are normal. I moved 400 miles since that post and did not get the range much in 2020 and part of 20021. But now I spend time once a week or more shooting. I have a FN Mauser that has a timmey trigger in 358 Norma mag. My dad installed that trigger many years ago. It's almost to light for safe hunting. This year I got a used Mauser 3000I in 375 HH mag, in came with a real nice trigger. It's getting a creakote finish right now, but I think it's adjustable trigger. When I get it back, I will be working up loads. I am always tinkering with guns, mainly rifles. The last several years updating scopes, refinishing a few and even new composite stocks on 2 rifles. I have a friend who owns Pendelton Composite stocks. I might even make one myself for the 3000I in his shop, just to do it.