Injury Potential From Revolver Cylinder Gap

Help Support Ruger Forum:

In teaching firearm classes, I will fold a paper target tent like over the cylinder/frame/barrel and fire a shot. The holes and burn marks on the paper make the point pretty well. Also, I agree with rugerguy's post above. Ruger has gotten sloppy about the gap in recent years. I asked them to take back and fix a new .32 H&R Mag stainless Bisley with a gap considerably larger than it should have had and they refused saying it was within their specs. Disappointed.

The whole reason I shoot with my left hand cupping my right hand is secondary to having my gun bag ripped by blow by from my GP 100. When I got semi autos I got “bitten” by a Beretta 950 .22 short.
gramps

Mike J

Hunter
Okay not really a revolver guy but I did manage to get to close to the barrel cylinder gap on my old Dan Wesson .357 once. It didn't do any serious harm just stung a little but I've never forgotten to keep my hand away from there.

Chief 101

Hunter
I have a Max with a really tight gap that rangerods nicely but I haven't shot it but the other Max revolvers I have had had a huge blast , always careful when at the range not to blast anybody...

3manfan

Bearcat
I once shot a 38 revolver out a door way and my girl friend at the time was standing about 3ft off to the side.... topless ... and she was not happy.
That was the first time I realized that the round is shaved off in the forcing cone....

Many years latter I purchased my first revolver... a Colt trooper with a 6" barrel. Sportsmans guide had an 8 inch barrel on sale and I bought it and tried to shim it to get the right gap but it was still pretty big. shooting at night fire would come out of the gap about 2ft on both sides. I put the 6" barrel back on.
Everyone wants to know if there's photographic evidence of the event with your girlfriend......

AJGUNNER

Hunter
I can tell you from a recent incident that when you are shooting a 4 inch 357 with a full book load of Lil gun, you better keep the cylinder gap up on the leather part of your range bag. A friend was testing some loads and wanted a solid rest to shoot off of, so used my range bag. As he was firing he worked his way back to where the cylinder gap was off the leather and above the cordura. I did learn what these bags are filled with---walnut media. All we had with us was the blue masking tape so did a quick fix. We also learned that masking tape over the leather is also no match for the cylinder gap. It shredded the tape with each shot. I can see a full duct tape wrap coming in the future. My buddy did replace the bag even though I told him not to worry about it.

eveled

Hunter
What is common sense to us, is unknown to others. Bringing new shooters to the range is always interesting. They seem to look for ways to get hurt.

The last bit of advise “Don’t put your hand were it doesn’t belong” is certainly good advice and not just for revolvers.

Latest posts