Inherited revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sweetlysavage84

Bearcat
I have inherited a Ruger single action .22 revolver. Stainless finish best I can tell. The only markings are on the barrel (top) "Sturm, Ruger, & Co. SouthPort, Conn. USA"
A d on the left side, beneath the revolver chamber says " Ruger .22 cal. Single-Six " with the Ruger emblem engraving. Then on the right side beneath the revolver chamber is the # 92500. Those are the ONLY markings on it. And I cant find anything with that exact model number anywhere. Any ideas??

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum. (y)

You have a picture?

If it's serial number 92500 it left the factory as blued in about 1958.

It's possible somebody re-finished it, or plated it or just removed the blue finish.

I think if it were a factory stainless gun, in would be from the early 70s or later and the S/N would have a prefix like 62-92500.

How long is the barrel?
We love pictures here. Did I mention that?

welcome to the Forum, and good info above, YES if the left side of the cylinder frame would have been stamped "New Model" it could be stainless but NOT with those markings or that serial number that you noted above.........saw the same thing last weekend, two different Ruger revolvers both in the white, ( finish removed,polished off) and they were NOT stainless, in fact a touch of cold blue on a 'Q-tip' darkened the the surface immediately, we told the guy keep it oiled or get it finished ( reblued)
A picture of your gun would really help a lot.........(y)

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
Silly me ….. I forgot a NM is stamped New Model On the left! :rolleyes:
That tells you how little attention I pay to the newer guns.

hey, all too many folks ,even these days have NO clue as to "3 screws" or "two pins" ( Don W. and Bob C. liked to call all the New models "pin guns")...its true
yes thats why the pictures can tell us all so much more than what is written down or even noted by the "new" owners..............let alone ANY 'old model' that has been "safety updated"..............;)

sweetlysavage84

Bearcat
Here are a few pics for reference...I really appreciate the replies! I was thinking I was told it was from the 50s so that made a lot of since...It was my gpas

Attachments

• 20221017_084525.jpg
    20221017_084525.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 216
  • 20221017_084453.jpg
    20221017_084453.jpg
    779.8 KB · Views: 229
  • 20221017_084309.jpg
    20221017_084309.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 242
  • 20221017_084301.jpg
    20221017_084301.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 225
  • 20221017_084408.jpg
    20221017_084408.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 220
yessir, that is a nice RSS 5,,,,,,,,,,the barrel is actually 5 1/2 inches, has the later round loading gate, and obviously three screws (old model)not the original grips, but from the picture it came out so "shiney" it almost looks like the barrel ( which by the way has the NON "Inc." rollmarking, again sign of an early gun) the finish is "chromed"???, they did polish off the finish on the aluminum grip frame, so its in the white.............a softer lighting, indirect or even outdoors out of direct sunlight, will give you better non glare pictures, and use a "matte" setting or "macro" I believe its called.....again NICE gun, and yes a keeper..........(y)

sweetlysavage84

Bearcat
yessir, that is a nice RSS 5,,,,,,,,,,the barrel is actually 5 1/2 inches, has the later round loading gate, and obviously three screws (old model)not the original grips, but from the picture it came out so "shiney" it almost looks like the barrel ( which by the way has the NON "Inc." rollmarking, again sign of an early gun) the finish is "chromed"???, they did polish off the finish on the aluminum grip frame, so its in the white.............a softer lighting, indirect or even outdoors out of direct sunlight, will give you better non glare pictures, and use a "matte" setting or "macro" I believe its called.....again NICE gun, and yes a keeper..........(y)
Thank you!! I will research up on it...thank you for being so prompt and detailed in ur description and assessment! Very much appreciated!!

GasGuzzler

Hunter
It's not chromed. It's merely had all the blue and anodizing removed and the metal polished. You can tell by the distorted lettering. Look at the difference between the grip frame and the cylinder frame. Different metals polish differently and it would have take a lot more time to get them to look the same. The grips are also "hand made" or at least refinished by a human. I wouldn't personally pay for a gun that has had this treatment but as an inherited piece, it's priceless.

jdavis

Single-Sixer
The gun could have been nickeled or chromed. Both as well as a blue job require polishing prior to application of the finish. Nickel was the more common in the 50s and 60s. If the metal had been only polished it would have dulled or possibly be showing rust over the years rather than appear as it does.