Inherited 'Deerstalker' 44mag Carbine Questino

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cws0008

Bearcat
I just inherited a 44mag 'Deerstalker' Ruger Carbine and Marlin 336 from my dad. I grew up watching him use the Ruger when we hunted deer and I used the 336. We hunted pretty heavy cover in Michigan and my dad never mounted scopes on the weapons. ("I never needed one in Korea" he used to tell me). As I'm now in living in Northern California I'd like to use the 44 for pig hunting and the 336 for my boys for deer or pig. Can anyone suggest appropriate scopes for the weapons? We're rarely shooting any more than 100 - 125 yards particularly for pigs.

By the way, they're both in near perfect condition.
Thanks,

wwb

Hunter
Look real hard at a 1.5-4.5X or a 2-7X..... low enough power to have a wide field of view for close and moving targets, and enough magnification at the top end to go well beyond 100 yards.

Leupold is my personal preference, but there are a bunch of good scopes out there.

TDF

Single-Sixer
Where I to mount a scope on mine it would be one of the fixed power weavers. K2.5 or K3. They just look right on that fine old firearm.

TDF

cruzerlou

Buckeye
you could also try a tasco pdp3 red dot sight .It has a 5 moa dot 1x mag 11 btightness settings and very fast target accuquistion and with the dot only covering 5"at 100 yards is just about perfict for the .44 mag out of this rifle .If you dial it in at 2" high at 50 yards it will be right in the center of the dot at 100 yards .I had one on mine but i needed it for something else.Heres apic of the red dot scope as you look through it
LousPics030.jpg

and heres a pic of my deerstalker with the tasco PDP3 scope on it
LousPics020.jpg

You should check out the Burris (I think it's a Full Field) 2X7X35. I've got one with a German Post recticle - can't remember if it's called a German #3 or #4. Haven't had it hunting yet, just some range shooting. I'm taking mine the next time I get to go hunting, Good Luck, Dave

cws0008

Bearcat
Thanks so much for all the terrific information. Exceptional suggestions and I'll be trying to get the 44mag ready for a pig hunt next week in Monterey County here in California. I'm fairly certain that 44 will have quite an impact on a boar.

Bell Swamp

Bearcat
My .44 Carbine has the front screws on the barrel a little out of line with the rear holes on the receiver. This makes it hard to mount a scope that will point where the gun shoots. I finally quite trying to get a scope to work and just went back to open sights.

cws0008

Bearcat
thanks for the input everyone. I had a Tasco red-dot scope mounted on it and am taking it hog hunting this weekend. I'll post a pic' & comment

mohavesam

Hawkeye
No one said it yet -
IF your 44 carbine has the receiver stamping, it's quite collectible.
Not that you cannot hunt with collectible guns of course, but watch those barbed-wire fences!

:shock: 8) 8)

federali

Bearcat
Bellswamp. It could be that your barrel may have to be screwed a bit tighter into the receiver to bring it into alignment. If not, a competent gunsmith can weld up the two holes and re-drill them. It's pointless not to use a scope on this fine carbine.

As for scopes, both the .44 carbine and the 336 (I've hunted with both) really shine with the low end variable or a fixed 2.5X. The 336 in either .35 Rem or .30-30 can take deer to two hundred yards with a decent scope.

Latest posts