Inherited an Old Shotgun, FW Heym?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hello, normally I'm at the revolver section. However in the lounge area there was a thread about shotguns. I thought I'd ask for some help here. I inherited an old shotgun from my uncle a few years ago. I know he was in the service in Germany, not sure when, 1960's or 1970's perhaps.

My Question:
Anyway, I'm looking for information about this shotgun. If anyone might know about this or where I could go for more information I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

It sure looks like an FW Heym, but as you can see the top strap is stamped "Crevna Zastava" (currently a large automobile company) and "Kragujevac" (city in Serbia) But in the other pic it says FW Heym. I guess I hope it's a Heym shotgun, perhaps they just imported it, the way many of today's shotguns are made in Turkey?
P1060630.jpg

P1120695.jpg

P1120691.jpg

16guage.jpg

P1120686.jpg

It's a 16 guage with a 27 3/4 inch barrel. and all the parts are clearly marked with the same serial number 4157. It also has a distinctive German cheek piece, inleted sling swivels, steel grip cap, and also the screw heads are all orientated the same. These are features you might find on an expensive European shotgun.
P1120693.jpg

I did take it out to Cabelas to see if they knew anything (But it's not for sale). They said it might be worth only $400 or $500. Clearly the shoulder pad on the stock is not original. The wood is joined together as you can see. It's nicely done, but ugly nonetheless. I have though about getting it re-stocked someday. I've shot it perhaps 100 times. I think I might have been the first to shoot it.

P1120685.jpg
[/img]

TDF

Single-Sixer
Which 16 ga is it chambered for? You might want to have a gunsmith take a look at it to make sure. On the bottom of the barrels towards the back it says 16-65. The 65 probably means 65mm which would be 2-9/16ths which is pretty common on older and european 16's. But farther forward I see it says 16/70, that looks like it was stamped in at a different time. That could mean that at some point it was opened up to accept the 2-3/4 shells as they are 70mm long.

TDF

Wow, thanks, I have searched the internet in the past, but never came across this shotgun world. Very interesting. I will have it checked out before shooting again.
-Kevin

RJ556

Buckeye
Zastava is an arms manufacturing plant in Serbia (formerly part of Yugoslavia. You've got some fine craftsmanship there. They made and are still making the absolute best quality/most accurate Kalasnikov varient firearms available.