Inherited 3 screw

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Maverick

Bearcat
Here's a 3 screw .357 mag I inherited. Can anyone provide a link to get what info I can from the serial #. I don't come here all the time so I apologize if I missed it.
4-AEDFF51-0-D61-45-FA-8-D4-D-357541-C2-FAFA.jpg

hittman

Staff member
In our Collecting Section, top of the page.

And for $10 Ruger will tell you when and where it shipped new.

A link to that form is there too I think.

Maverick

Bearcat
Thanks, looks like 1972. I can only assume the jeweling was not factory.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
^
Correct re not factory. The bluing appears much better than factory so I would assume it's been reblued. If so, it's not a 1st Gen Colt or S&W Triple Lock value wise, not as though big $$$ lost. Looks like the way I'd have liked factory to do it in the 1st place.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, as noted,, the hammer & trigger show jeweling,, and that's not factory. The blueing is truly nice & my first thought is also "re-blue." I can't see the serial number,, but if it gets listed here, or even partially listed,, we can check the RENE Guide for the year for you. (Example; 30-123xx)

Often,, the Ruger factory web info isn't "correct" so we only have (2) ways to truly verify things. First,, as noted,, a factory letter for $10, and that is excellent. And the RENE Guide,,, which is often better info with more details too.

Nice looking gun for sure.

Maverick

Bearcat
I don't know if it's been re-blued. I do know it has been in a closet for at least 4 decades and appears in excellent condition.
At one point I was going to send it back for safety conversion but decided against it after reading that original parts may not be returned?
AAD00-A63-BD47-4644-80-BA-A42-B1-A0-E7613.jpg

Nice old model from 1972 and as noted above the "jeweling ( engine turning) was a feature commonly done back in that era when rebluing one of these, I know we did MANY of them in our shop, and the polish is too "polished" NO turn line on the cylinder, and a bit rounded at the screw holes and roll markings,,,you can sometimes spot a reblue by removing the cylinder, look at the ends of the cylinder itself as well as the recoil shield, the most common giveaways ....BUT no matter that is a fine looking old model Blackhawk, even has the proper "squashed chicken " medallions in the grips......
it is a keeper....... 8) :roll: :wink:

And when you contact Ruger for its background, you may discover it was originally shipped as a "convertible" including the interchangeable 9mm cylinder. There were many shipped right in that serial number range. The two closest shown in Bob's List are 31-13819 and 31-14292. If you find this to be true for this one, please let us know. :mrgreen:

Johnnu2

Hunter
DEFINITELY DO NOT SEND IT BACK FOR A SAFETY CONVERSION..... they won't return the orig parts.... besides for many 'collectors' it detracts from value.

I'm no expert, but it does look like it's been re-blued to me.... but then, who cares... just keep it and enjoy owning it.

J.

contender said:
Well, as noted,, the hammer & trigger show jeweling,, and that's not factory. The blueing is truly nice & my first thought is also "re-blue." I can't see the serial number,, but if it gets listed here, or even partially listed,, we can check the RENE Guide for the year for you. (Example; 30-123xx)

Often,, the Ruger factory web info isn't "correct" so we only have (2) ways to truly verify things. First,, as noted,, a factory letter for $10, and that is excellent. And the RENE Guide,,, which is often better info with more details too.

Nice looking gun for sure.

Who knows but it could be both factory blue & factory jeweling.. A while back I sold one very similar with a factory letter. It was made for Stan Terhune so it got some special factory treatment. No doubt others in the management ranks had similar pull and could make special things happen.

I'd spend the 10 bucks for a letter and when requesting it mention the high polish blue & the jeweling as odd features

37fed

Single-Sixer
Man that is pretty. Unconverted preserves those fantastic trigger pulls.

Johnnu2 said:
DEFINITELY DO NOT SEND IT BACK FOR A SAFETY CONVERSION..... they won't return the orig parts.... besides for many 'collectors' it detracts from value.

J.

This is not true. They will return the parts. One can remove them before sending the gun in if they are concerned.

https://ruger.com/safety/announcements.html

contender

Ruger Guru
I'd start with a factory letter. And if I, PERSONALLY were going to send it back for the safety conversion, I'd remove the OM parts myself,, just to make sure I had them. In general, yes,, they do return parts,, UNLESS,, "the parts removed were determined to be unsafe or serviceable."

However,, I've never sent one back for the safety conversion, and do not intend to do so.

There have indeed been a few reported cases of Ruger failing to return original parts . . . a very few. As contender mentions, they will not return aftermarket parts or parts that appear "dangerous" or that have been modified, which might include the engine turned hammer and trigger in this case. I would remove any original lockwork before sending a gun back to Ruger for any reason. You can always swap the original bits back in upon return of the gun. JMHO :)

Maverick

Bearcat
Not getting the jeweled hammer and trigger back were my main concerns. Personally I prefer the transfer bar safety but decided that since I won't be hunting or carrying it for protection I'm not going to mess with it. So it's just going to change closets now that it belongs to me. I glanced at the cylinder for signs of re-blue as mentioned in an earlier post and indeed it does appear to have been re-blued. Thanks again everyone.

Latest posts