Information for Old Super Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pdawg13

Bearcat
I just purchased this today and asking for help on information like year and value. I have searched and getting some conflicting answers and thought this forum could help me out. Elbow are the pictures of the box it came in with extra cylinder and original papers when it was bought in 1970. Both cylinders three numbers match the serial number on gun. Any info and help would be welcomed and let me know if I made a good deal. Thanks in advance.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

hittman

Staff member

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, your gun was made in 1970, according the the RENE Guide. (Better than the factory info on the computer.)
It looks to be in very good shape.
As noted,, the cylinders & box are all correct. It has the manual,,, but I don't see the wax paper, the warranty card or the shipper. Those (3) things would make it a complete package.
RENE Guide lists the collector value at $460.00. The box & papers add to that. I'd consider about $60-$75 for the box & manual.

As for the "good deal" well, that depends.
If you like it, and are happy, then it's a good deal. Money is just paper, with dead presidents on it. Value comes from enjoyment.

pdawg13

Bearcat
Well, your gun was made in 1970, according the the RENE Guide. (Better than the factory info on the computer.)
It looks to be in very good shape.
As noted,, the cylinders & box are all correct. It has the manual,,, but I don't see the wax paper, the warranty card or the shipper. Those (3) things would make it a complete package.
RENE Guide lists the collector value at $460.00. The box & papers add to that. I'd consider about $60-$75 for the box & manual.

As for the "good deal" well, that depends.
If you like it, and are happy, then it's a good deal. Money is just paper, with dead presidents on it. Value comes from enjoyment.
Thank you for this information. It helps me out a lot. And I am very happy with the purchase. Just wanted to know from a collectible standpoint.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
$65 plus tax is a bit steep, but it's your money ;). $65 seems so cheap till you adjust for inflation and realize that's about $500 in today's dollars.

That's a nice looking Single Six!

Snake45

Hawkeye
$65 plus tax is a bit steep, but it's your money ;). $65 seems so cheap till you adjust for inflation and realize that's about $500 in today's dollars.

That's a nice looking Single Six!
Yes it is. ;)

Coincidentally, I paid $65 for my 1969 Single Six in 1975. I gave it to my Dad because he'd purchased one of the very first stainless steel Single Sixes in 1973; I thought the two made a nice set. He sent it back to the factory for the upgrade conversion, but all original parts were returned. With Dad's passing a couple years ago, the blued SS came back to me; my son has the stainless one. Come to think of it, this is the only Ruger revolver I've ever owned.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I have the same model. Mine was made in 1971. It was my first handgun, and the last I will ever sell. I would guess about 5000 rounds down the tube and she still performs flawlessly.

I DO have the box, papers, wax paper and cards. Best $72 I ever spent.

Mine has not been, and never will, have the conversion done.

I have the same model. Mine was made in 1971. It was my first handgun, and the last I will ever sell. I would guess about 5000 rounds down the tube and she still performs flawlessly.

I DO have the box, papers, wax paper and cards. Best $72 I ever spent.

Mine has not been, and never will, have the conversion done.
That is awesome, good for you! :)

Sure wish I had kept my first hand gun, an early Standard with 6" barrel.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Bought mine in 1967, manufactured the same year for $78. The LGS is known for selling at MSRP. Took my then 13 yr. old son shooting. Loaded it with blanks and teased him that he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Reloaded and while aiming at a center can, hit the two can on each side of it with one shot. Don't know how that happened, but my son was impressed. Couple of decades later when he came to visit, I told him if he wanted anything in my house, he was welcome to it. He chose that gun. He said it had a great memory for him. Was happy that he chose it, box, receipts, mag cylinder, etc. However, earlier this year after sitting on a few K of .22 LR, and no pistol to shoot them with, I went out looking for one. The last one I saw was priced at $300. However, I ran into a New Model and bought that one. Either way, it is a great firearm and have gotten a lot of fun/memories with both.