Info on an odd Ruger build?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jason280_2

Single-Sixer
I've been looking at an interesting Ruger build, and wanted to see if anyone could provide any information. It started as an early '80s Super Blackhawk .44 Mag, but was converted over to .45 Colt at some point. Barrel was swapped out with a 5.5", with integral front sight/band. Base pin has a set screw, and ejector rod housing looks untouched. Here are the odd things about the revolver, the "Ruger" markings have been remived, and restamped "Ruger USA". The barrel is marked JRH .45 Colt, but I have spoken with JRH, and its absolutely not a revolver he built.

Lockup is tight, with a really good trigger pull. I *believe* it's had an action job, and has the free spin pawl swapped (cylinder spins both directions). Anybody the work look familiar, or anything else stand out about the gun?

IMG_0173_jpg-1819311.JPG

IMG950159_jpg-1819312.JPG

IMG950169_jpg-1819313.JPG

IMG_0160_jpg-1819314.JPG

IMG_0161_jpg-1819315.JPG

flexjr

Bearcat
i am no expert, but several things about that gun have the look of John Linebaugh's work. that would be who i would ask.

Sugar River

Buckeye
I was thinking the same. John Linebaugh used to do what he called a "small" 45 conversion by boring out the
chambers and barrel from a smaller caliber. The chambers were set @ minimum 45 Colt dimensions to minimize case
stretching. It was quite a bit less costly than his 5 shot conversion but was capable of a bit more performance than standard "Ruger only" loads.

JL guns usually have the "Ruger ..... Blackhawk or Bisley" on the Right side below and back of the cylinder. The drilled base pin looks just like mine and those I've seen. The bluing looks a bit too new, as even with normal wear, it doesn't appear to have any brownish, plumb bluing from a gun built in the 80's. The numbers have the original build at 1982 I believe. If it's super tight, has a good trigger and shoots well, that's what counts no matter who did the work on it.