Inferior firearms vs function and reliability

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I just picked up one of these Turkish 1911's. The Turks are turning out an awful lot of firearms of all descriptions lately and the price point makes them very interesting. I would have preferred a Ruger 1911 but this will do.

My initial impression of the fit and finish was that it rivals any of the better American brands. Everything was very tight and stiff. Due to the weather, I was only able to get it out and put a few magazines through it. Function was great except for one style of older handload that won't reliably function in my Sig 1911 either. I cannot comment on accuracy since it was 30 degrees and I was just banging at the steel plate. I think that this will be a great pistol.

I bought this RIA 1911 new in 2008. Was totally blown away how well it shot and handled, not one hiccup. After all these years, and thousands of rounds, it's still one of my all around favorites. BTW, Colt is still my 1911 of choice. ;)

13A85854-9054-4289-ABDD-AA7834A562D5.jpeg

F66B6729-03D2-4E8D-AFC7-39B349E910DB.jpeg

47A6B1F9-49CF-4712-8899-C91597C4FB68.jpeg

Ride1949

Hunter
I bought my RIA 1911-A1 FS in 2013. Never a hiccup, eats everything I feed it, and accuracy was everything you'd expect from one of the more expensive offerings. I made two changes on it. Replaced the ful length guide rod with a GI guide rod and Wolf spring (I got tired of crawling around on the shop floor looking for the plug I just launched.) And switched out the ambi safety for a GI safety. I'd definitely buy another one if I get the itch for another 1911.

Last edited:

Springer2

Bearcat
Most of the 1911s I had were good. Strangely the worst one was a Colt 1980s series Gold Cup that I bought new. No reflection on Colt but that just seemed to be a "built on Monday" gun.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
I had an Auto Ordinance 1911 after Kahr began making them. It was a "GI" Government model with parkerized finish. Had about $380 into it. Fit and finish were "okay". Worked like a trooper, never a hitch. Factory loads/lead reloads. Really liked it but It disappeared a few years ago when I fell to the siren call of a Colt new series 70 in Stainless. I wanted a real Colt 1911. And yep, I paid for the real deal and the horsey... But I love it, great fit and finish, it's a real work of art. Shoots great without a hitch... But is it really that much better than my old AO? Not really...But I have my Colt 1911.....

The Preacher

Let me say upfront that I am a Ruger firearms fan, otherwise why would I be signed up on the website?
That being said, I am getting confused regarding the actual quality and reliability of supposed inferior firearms. In this case, I am speaking of Rock Island Armory 1911 handguns. First of all,
they are much less expensive then our Rugers, S&Ws, Kimbers, Springfields, etc. Secondly they shoot and function every bit as well as our favorite "superior" brands. My eyes have been opened to this fact just recently with the recent purchase of 2 RIA 1911 pistols. Both have exceeded my expectations to the point of rethinking future purchases. One is a Mil-spec 1911A1 45 auto. The second is a 1911A1 Rock Ultra FS in 10mm.
I reviewed and posted remarks about the 45 elsewhere in this forum. The 10mm is a recent purchase which has been shot by me and others the last couple of days.

The positives:
100% reliable with mild to +P ammo including FMJ, Lead, and JHP. A little over 100 rounds fired.
Accuracy is very good. Shoots to point of aim consistently. Very comfortable to shoot. I really like the sights, especially the fiber optic front sight.

The only negative to me was getting hit in the forehead by ejected brass a couple of times.

Yesterday, I was shooting at about 10 yards off hand, both braced and free hand. Results of some shots on the target below.

My conclusion is that the RIA performed better for me than the same configuration in my previously owned SR1911, Kimber, Colt Delta Elite, and other 1911 platforms I have owned or shot. Not only is the RIA a bargain, but in my opinion equal to or superior to those mentioned.

This of course is just my opinion. 😉

Dave
I have stopped to look more and more at various listings and auctions for RIA 1911's. Mostly due to the price. I own several colts, kimbers, in 45 and a couple of springfields in 9mm. All of mine are older purchases. At new cost it would really put a dent in my goody bag to buy one. I have lusted after a colt in 38super for several years. But current prices have me at least wanting to try the cheaper offerings. I can't find one from the big 3 for less than a 2k asking price for a plain jane. I hope anyone else who's purchased a Rock Island will comment.

DGW1949

Hunter
I presently own two of the newer RIA 1911A1-FS pistols in .45ACP Caliber (no billboard on the slide). Both have fired in excess of 500 Rds of 230-FMJ ammo without a single mishap....Disclaimer: I've yet to even load either of the 8-Rd (ACT) Mags that they came with. All of the firing I've done has been with USGI Military, SA Inc, or surplus M1927 Argentine mags. Not saying that there's anything wrong with ACT Mags, it's just that I'm not a fan of 8-Rd 1911 mags in general.

When we had our fist shop back in the 1970s, I had a 'Norinco' 1911 and it shot as well , and better at times than ANY 1911 we had, or shot or others shot and had....and it cost $300 with tax, transfer and shipping...it fed and shot anything you put in it.....don;t knock "simplicity" ( yes them darn chinese copied everything, and still do):cautious:

I have the RIA 1911 SF in 40S&w and I am completely satisfied. Very accurate and has not failed in over 1000 rounds of factory rounds and reloads. Cleanup has become a familiar process and I keep the required paper clips in a bag on my bench. I want a 9mm and 45. I have one Colt an a couple of Springfields that are very nice as well. I also have a Dan Wesson Vigil 9mm Commander that is perfect but I can't see dropping that much coin for two more. Also, in December purchased a Girsan commander in 45 motivated by price. After some minor tinkering, and magazine testing, it is completely dependable. I have owned two SR 1911's and was generally satisfied. Front sight broke on one and the sect was fine. Sold it foolishly. I prefer blued guns so the SR line is limited.

Bill

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Honestly, as much of a Ruger fan as I am and owning a pile of Ruger GP100's and Single Actions, a Ruger .45 ACP/LC, etc and having wanted an SR1911 to fill the hole where I no longer have any 1911's .....

I recently started to regret my sale of a Springfield Armory Inc 1911A1 "GI" a few years ago and I want another plain jane, no frills USGI 1911A1, and the SR1911 is not that, Just like the .45 ACP/LC Redhawk was not the S&W 1917 Classic I wanted but in my effort to "ride for the Brand" I went with the Redhawk and I didn't regret it. But I still want a S&W 1917.....

So , I recently saw the Tisas brand 1911A1 for about $380 shipped on Bud's guns. In today's market that's so cheap it's almost free for a forged Series 70 1911A1. It looks like a clone of a 1911A1 and I don't care that it's made in Turkey. Apparently some of the Turkish gunmakers make awesome "sleeper" guns like the various CZ and Hi-Power clones that are cheap, and gun snobs turn away from them because they're not the "real thing".

The Turk 1911A1's get good reviews and for as much as I'd probably actually shoot it, with .45 being about $20-25 per 50 rounds these days, it would no doubt hold up for my intended use. If I were planning to shoot 1000 rounds a month through it I'd probably get the Ruger, and I still may at some point but as an occasional fun blaster I'm ordering a Tisas 1911A1 from Bud's . It will definitely fill the role of, a 1911 to put a couple boxes through after playing around with stuff like my .22 SP101 or a couple cap and ballers.

DGW1949

Hunter
Took one of my "inferior" RIA 1911A1-FS pistols to the range yesterday to test out 8 new mags that I recently received....100Rds @ what I call "inside the house distance (21 feet ) using PMC 230-FMJ ammo. My goal was to tear both red X-rings out of the target but as you can see, I pulled too many to the left. Oh well, maybe next time.LOL.

DGW

Attachments

• .45 target.jpg
    .45 target.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 70

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer

I just picked up one of these Turkish 1911's. The Turks are turning out an awful lot of firearms of all descriptions lately and the price point makes them very interesting. I would have preferred a Ruger 1911 but this will do.

My initial impression of the fit and finish was that it rivals any of the better American brands. Everything was very tight and stiff. Due to the weather, I was only able to get it out and put a few magazines through it. Function was great except for one style of older handload that won't reliably function in my Sig 1911 either. I cannot comment on accuracy since it was 30 degrees and I was just banging at the steel plate. I think that this will be a great pistol.
The Turks are making good, all steel firearms and at "impulse buy" prices

I'll probably end up getting a Girsan Hi-Power at some point

cavediver27

Bearcat
I'm a long time solid Ruger fan. That being said, I purchased a Rock Island FS Tactical 2-years ago and it has functioned flawlessly with 1,500+ rounds of various factory ammunition and my reloads. I've had ZERO failures to feed, fire, extract and eject….NONE!! And it's accurate too! I still love my Rugers but I always recommend RIA's to people looking for a solid and reliable 1911.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I hope not. I just got one of the model 3's. It's got the S&W cylinder release.
I had that, whatever it is the 301, the Rock Island 4" .38 based on the Colt action and it went out of time after a few boxes of standard. 38

gunman42782

Hunter
I worked at a gun shop/range for 7 years and sold no telling how many RIA 1911s in that period. The only time I seen anything wrong was a fella bought one, brand new, took it out on the range, and before he fired a shot he put the safety on, and when he went to take it off safe the safety actually snapped off! Obviously a bad MIM part. Other than that one mishap, everyone was always very happy with their RIA. A lot of folks would buy the plain Jane model and customize it to fit their needs. All that being said, a Hi Point usually will run, but who wants a Hi Point? The low budget guns really do not hold value well at all. Not that you usually can get what you paid for a new gun, but with a brand name gun you can get a lot closer than you can with budget guns, as a general rule. JMHO

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
Of all these aftermarket 1911's, how about replacement parts ? I have a Auto Ordnance 1911 and have no problem getting replacement parts that fit. If you buy one of these Turkish made guns, are parts gonna be a problem ? Are they made to the same specs as a common mil spec U.S. made 1911 ?

CHEVYINLINE6.