Inexpensive, sturdy, and "camouflaged"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I like to carry a spare mag, simply because it would suck to buy the farm in a life-or-death situation because the one in the gun got kicked out in a struggle or malfunctioned. I was looking at the cost of some of the actual mag pouches on the market, and was a little taken aback at how much a little plastic (kydex) tube or a couple pieces of leather cost. I make my own leather gear, and figured I'd just make one, until I looked at the sheath my Leatherman came in. Hmm...double stack 9mm mag fits like it was made for it, good rivet snap closure, well-made of thick nylon, totally low-key (everyone out here carries a knife and/or multi-tool), and when I looked at the price for one, it was only $10 and available in three sizes. For a couple bucks more, they have a model with an elastic loop that would carry a small flashlight or Sharpie, or even one with MOLLE attachments that could be worn horizontally on a narrow belt. Just an idea for the frugal concealed carrier.
Black_Nylon_Sheath_Front.jpg

Cholo

Staff member
Great timing, thanks! I've been looking for magazine carriers like these for awhile. I currently use flashlight carriers, but I need more.

Here an Amazon link to the Leatherman carriers. They come in 3 sizes. Click the pic. EDIT: Apparently the pic link doesn't work for everyone, though it works on my PC and Cell. One time it didn't work on my cell :unsure: Here's an old fashioned link that leaves the https// off the front of the link. Let me know if it doesn't work for anyone.

www.amazon.com/dp/B07CC425C7/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=B07CC425C7&th=1

Amazon product ASIN B07CC425C7

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sneaky Pete makes discreet carry holsters and mag carriers. Just not cheap, but good long lasting stuff. I carried a mag holder that looked like a knife holder for a few years. In the hot summer temps, while working undercover I carried a glock mag in a Kershaw knife holder. Wearing shorts, flip flops and Tee shirt the gun was carried in a gym bag. Everyone knows guns are carried in fanny bags. Although that was not the best carry but worked great when I was not expected to arrest anyone just getting intel.

Years ago I had a camera bag that held a SLR with a short lens. It easily attached to one's belt. I carried a C A Bulldog in it and never got a second look.

The biggest giveaway that one is carrying is the tendency to fiddle with it. Put it on securely, cover it properly if needed and don't touch it until you need it or take it off.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Great idea. I even love that it has Leatherman printed on it. So (Obviously) it must be a Leatherman. Also if the open top shows a bullet just hand sew a piece of black cloth, elastic ,scrap, whatever to the edge of the pouch. Those nylon pouches are super easy to run a needle through.

sncup

Single-Sixer
Thanks to this thread I started thinking about my needing a double hi-cap magazine holder. I tried putting mags in my cell phone holder and WOW, it was just like it was made for 9mm mags. Plus I use it for my cell phone when not on the range.
1653616617168.png

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I don't like the pouches like the one pictured above because it is partially open on the bottom and will actually show the first round in the magazine.

Since I carry IWB, my shirt drapes over it and hides the Leatherman pouch pretty well. I also asked my wife if she could see the bullet or mag lips through the small gap at the bottom with the pouch fully exposed, and she said all she could see was something shiny, like the tool that normally goes in it. Someone would need to be squatting with their eyes only inches from mine to see that it was a magazine and not a multi-tool.

Just bought several black balistic nylon knife sheaths... one, the #4, is perfect for both my single stack mags for my Sig P239 as well as my Gerber multi-tool. I got this one off Amazon. then I went to the manufacturers web sight and found their #2's which are much smaller and are perfect for my bottle of nitroglycerin pills. these are made by Raine and are actually made here in the USA!

Don't know if they make one that would work with a double stack magazine... will have to check on this.

Amazon product ASIN B00H1XZRZM
Here's a link at the web site that has different sizes for them:

Last edited:

langenc

Single-Sixer
To noahmercy poster #1--
If you make your own leather goods make a mag holster for on your belt--parallel w/ the belt, not sticking up, biting into you.
I have one for a 45 mag and they are neat..
Could send you a couple photos if youd like.