Inert 22 round

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rotor

Bearcat
Pull the bullet, dump the powder, fire the primer or soak the case in WD-40.
This is the only way to do it. Putting the bullet back into the case is questionable. Someone must sell replica cartridges. Wonder why op wants to do this.

caryc

Hawkeye
I never believed that story about WD40 making anything inert. I would not trust it to "remain" inert.

When I was making grips, some of my customers wanted certain caliber cartridge case heads mounted in the grips. So, of course, I had to make the primers inert. Below shows how I did it. To use the case head, I had to cut the rest of the case off so I just put a primer in the cut case and held it between the jaws of a pair of water pump pliers. I just held it over the flame on my gas stove until it popped. You can see the dent on the other case where one primer popped in it. My primers were guaranteed to be inert.

BK4wbI8.jpg

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk

Monty

P.S. The OP's wording choice is mixed ("round"?), but it seems like Blume answered the question most concisely.

Not to be too nit-picky, I would also add, "while pointing the gun in a safe direction at a suitable inert backstop, and while wearing eye- and hearing-protection, with no possibility of harm coming to any humans, trans-humans, children, pets, or members of any endangered or threatened species," if "saf
;)

He didn't ask directly about dry-firing or Snap-Caps.

He didn't ask directly , about what exactly he Did want .

Gutshot

Single-Sixer
Rest of the story: My grandson brought the gun to me with a live round stuck 7/8 of the way into the chamber. It is still live, I measured. The lifter is stuck behind the round.
I would like to deactivate the round before I try to fix the jam.

Thanks
Jeff

NikA

Buckeye
That's quite a different situation. If it were me, I think I'd drill a hole or otherwise puncture the round and dump the powder if possible, then soak in light oil or WD-40 to kill the priming compound.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Ah ! All becomes clear now . ( Also brings up new discussion of what gun , and exact nature of the jamming .)

That said ; my first and second thoughts are to skip deactivating , insert suitable rod from the muzzle , and gently tap the other end of rod/ dowel to free ctg .

Of course eye& ear protection , keep muzzle in safe direction , and don't put hands or head directly in front of muzzle .

This happened to me once. My dad and I stood the rifle barrel up, poured WD-40 down the barrel and left it overnight.

Next day the round had slipped out of the chamber and landed on the floor.

The wooden dowel idea above also sounds reasonable.

Joe Chartreuse

Single-Sixer
Be aware that dummy cartridges are available. Those I've seen were very accurate reproductions of blue plastic. They are used in training classes. Don't know the source, but should be easy to find.

Bob Wright
Yup, cheap on E-bay. If you are using them for dry firing, they only last a few times before falling apart. Best to use the metal dummy rounds

eveled

Hunter
Lol. We weren’t on the same page, not even the same book. Good luck with the jam.

Dave Schwaab

Bearcat
This is what I have been using as "dummy rounds" for function testing and dry fire practice. Work great. Easy to replace when the "rim" gets chewed up in time.

Attachments

• Drywall Anchor .22 LR Dummy Rounds - s-l1600.jpg
    Drywall Anchor .22 LR Dummy Rounds - s-l1600.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 23

eveled

Hunter
Not for hanging sheets of drywall. For attaching something to drywall. Like a thermostat or picture. Screws just pull out hence the need for anchors

caryc

Hawkeye
Not for hanging sheets of drywall. For attaching something to drywall. Like a thermostat or picture. Screws just pull out hence the need for anchors
Yeah, I get it now. Plastic things like that come with a lot of things you buy that may hang on a wall. If you wanted a really solid anchor you would use a molly screw.

Gutshot

Single-Sixer
Got the jam fixed. Remington model 34. Got the gun from my Grandfather many years ago passed it to my Grandson. Put some Kroil down the barrel and every where else last Friday. Worked on the gun today the Kroil loosened up everything and the bullet came out easy. Gave the rifle a well deserved cleaning and ran a full tube of bullets through the action. All worked well.
Thank you for your advice

Jeff

eveled

Hunter
The thread took some weird turns, glad you got it worked out.

Great great grandfather's gun? Thats pretty cool.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Since we've gone around the block a couple times in this thread, I bet that 34 shoots great.

I have my Father's model 341 (replaced the 34 around 1936) My brothers and I all learned with it. When I got older I started searching for one to give to the brother that taught me to hunt as I had inherited Dad's. I quickly learned they were only made a few years, and locally were very hard to come by. I finally found one, bought it and gave it to my brother. Like Dad's, it shot like it had eyes. When I started traveling for work I decided to try and find two more so each of my brothers could have "Dad's" gun. It took a couple years, but they are much easier to find out west than here in MI. Now each of my brothers has a 341, and they all shoot great. I even snagged an extra for me in my searches. ;)

Latest posts