Inert 22 round

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hunter
Pull the bullet, dump the powder, fire the primer or soak the case in WD-40.
Why not just use spent cases at that point?

It would help to know what the purpose for them is.

For a display? Put bullets into once fired brass.

For dry fire drills drywall anchors are far better.

You can also buy .22 snap caps. Much safer than any "inert" .22 round. It would be just too easy to get mixed up with a live round. I can see the display reason, but even then, the "safe" round would have to be marked well enough so it wouldn't be confused with a live round.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
You can also buy .22 snap caps. Much safer than any "inert" .22 round. It would be just too easy to get mixed up with a live round. I can see the display reason, but even then, the "safe" round would have to be marked well enough so it wouldn't be confused with a live round.

This !

Just get some snap caps .

Usless for somethimg like a museum display behind glass ?

eveled

Hunter
What size? Is there only one size drywall anchor? Are they plastic?

I don’t know specifically what size, but look for ones that are .22 sized and try them.

They cushion the firing pin. They do wear out, but are cheap.

Edit to add. YES, PLASTIC WALL ANCHORS.

Last edited:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Be aware that dummy cartridges are available. Those I've seen were very accurate reproductions of blue plastic. They are used in training classes. Don't know the source, but should be easy to find.

Bob Wright

eveled

Hunter
Thats why I mentioned using spent cases instead. They aren’t going to go bang twice. Dummy rounds make a lot more sense. Depending on the purpose of course. But the OP is staying tight lipped.

What is the safest way to turn a "live" .22 round into a dud, dead, unable to fire round?

Thank you
Jeff
I thought for sure someone would have said, "load it in a gun and pull the trigger."

when my brother and I were clearing out my father's shop we inadvertently threw a card board box with some loose 22s in it in the fire we had out back to burn the stuff that was trash... no big deal just a pop ever once and a while.

Bad Barlow

Single-Sixer
They're .22 brass case blanks used in nail guns.

Nail gun blanks still go bang and are LOUD! Empty cases won't feed from a magazine. Snap caps are costly. Yellow wall anchors are the answer,$3 / 100,and feed well.

pyth0n

Blackhawk
Nail gun blanks still go bang and are LOUD! Empty cases won't feed from a magazine. Snap caps are costly. Yellow wall anchors are the answer,$3 / 100,and feed well.
All true. I guess I'm not understanding the op's purpose.

eveled

Hunter
They're .22 brass case blanks used in nail guns.
For clarity and safety. Not what I was recommending at all.

I was recommending The plastic anchors you put into a hole to screw into. Some of them can be used as dummies to cushion the firing pin.

Montelores

Buckeye

Monty

P.S. The OP's wording choice is mixed ("round"?), but it seems like Blume answered the question most concisely.

Not to be too nit-picky, I would also add, "while pointing the gun in a safe direction at a suitable inert backstop, and while wearing eye- and hearing-protection, with no possibility of harm coming to any humans, trans-humans, children, pets, or members of any endangered or threatened species," if "safe" is the primary consideration.

Unfortunately, this does not take into consideration carbon emissions from the ignited propellants, noise pollution to the surrounding community, and psychological trauma to any unwitting witnesses.

Who doesn't want to be "safe?"

;)

He didn't ask directly about dry-firing or Snap-Caps.

Last edited:

Latest posts