Increased capacity magazine for the P95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
Ruger 'validated' the concept with the SR9c… 10 > 17 (flush 10, extended grip 17). Hi-Point has a flush 8 & extended 10 for their (single stack) 380 & 9mm.

My P95 is my HD weapon and it doesn't get carried anywhere except between the safe & the nightstand, so I don't care how long the grip 'grows'. Besides, a longer grip might enable a two hand grip. 15 > 22? Even 15 > 20 might be significant in a HD scenario.

Anyone know of a source?

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
Mec-gar makes 17 round mags that fit flush and 20 round (I believe) that do not fit flush.

P95mags.jpg

GhosT

Blackhawk
MountainGator,

First off.....
"Hi-Point has a flush 8 & extended 10 for their (single stack) 380 & 9mm. "
Never, EVER compare a HI-Point to a RUGER...lol

Second,
Owned the original version of the the P95 for MANY years.

JMHO, But NO aftermarket mags compare to the RUGER FACTORY mags as far as the P95 goes. (MEC-GARS come close)

15 rounds are plenty for standard home defense....

WAY MORE IMPORTANT...is to find THE ROUND That feeds well, hits HARD, and accurate in yer gun!

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
GhosT":32yz7rbs said:
MountainGator,

First off.....
"Hi-Point has a flush 8 & extended 10 for their (single stack) 380 & 9mm. "
Never, EVER compare a HI-Point to a RUGER...lol

Second,
Owned the original version of the the P95 for MANY years.

JMHO, But NO aftermarket mags compare to the RUGER FACTORY mags as far as the P95 goes. (MEC-GARS come close)

15 rounds are plenty for standard home defense....

WAY MORE IMPORTANT...is to find THE ROUND That feeds well, hits HARD, and accurate in yer gun!
First off.....
I can see that you're a "Gun Snob" (and probably proud of it). I wonder how many rounds you have ever put through any Hi Point?

Second,
1) According to my LGS Mec Gar actually makes the magazines for Ruger, so they are really not AM, but rather the real OEM.
2) your 15 is plenty is VERY MUCH YOUR OPINION. You really have no idea of what my HD situation is. But if you think 15 is plenty, what do you think about 10? Is that (10) sufficient? It only takes one "Golden BB", so maybe you think that a 5 round .22 LR revolver should be sufficient to handle ANY home invasion scenario.

and Thirdly (even though you didn't enumerate it)
The answer is obvious (to me) for a 9mm... 147 gr. +P+ JHP. You need all the penetration that you can get, and Buffalo Bore 24C will give the most available (24.5+ ft-lbs/sec of momentum).

Mike J

Hunter
Mountain Gator-I would not believe Mec Gar was the manufacturer of Rugers magazines just because a guy at a gun store said so. It is a bad idea to take much of what employees at gun stores say as gospel without researching it for yourself. I am not criticizing MecGar-they are a quality manufacturer & are OEM for many guns but I have never heard nor read they make Rugers magazines.
I tend to trust OEM magazines more than aftermarket ones. Whatever you buy I would suggest testing it to make sure it works. Most of the time if a semi-auto fails it is either due to bad ammunition or a bad magazine. I would rather have a few less rounds for sure than more that might not feed. Of course I'm the type that carries a spare mag too.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
Know for a fact Mec-gar makes the SR9 mags----wouldn't surprise me they make the P-series mags too. Pretty sure they make the LCP mags too---I'll have to go look again.

I have a couple of the 20's---they don't get used much---since I don't really like how far they stick out---they do hold the slide back when empty.

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
I've never heard anyone say Mec-gar (for any make of gun) are any less reliable than factory mags. I have lots of factory 15 round P95 mags and 17 round Mec-gar mags. I'd rather have the 17 round Mec-gar than the 15 round factory. They seem equally reliable, both fit flush, and the Mec-gar is cheaper. If you prefer to download a mag by one round the Meg-car still has over 15.

Mike J

Hunter
Sounds good Steve. I might be wrong-Mec Gar may make the P-series mags. I just tend to take things said by gun shop employees with a grain of salt until I check them out for myself.

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
Mike J":2gzh6mpf said:
Sounds good Steve. I might be wrong-Mec Gar may make the P-series mags. I just tend to take things said by gun shop employees with a grain of salt until I check them out for myself.

Agreed. I was going on my own experiences and what I've heard people say on various online forums. I've never heard any gun stores employees comments on Mec-gars mags.

Latest posts