In-the-waistband GP100. Interesting finding for me.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
Over 22 years I've carried a 3 inch or 2 1/4 inch SP101 either in my waistband or in a front pocket holster. Never felt under-equipped with 5 rounds of +P loads. I'll admit though that I've also often considered that the extra round of a 6 shot double action revolver would be nice and comforting. Times and concerns do change.
Last night at a dear friend's home as we were waiting post-Mexican restaurant visit for the new year to arrive the host honored a favor I requested. (Disclaimer here: Neither of us was consuming any intoxicating beverage as this took place.). Knowing that he owns a beautiful 4 inch stainless GP100 that's a handsome pre-MIM specimen, and which is one of the most tightly factory fitted GP100's I've ever held, I asked if he's let me try fitting his unloaded revolver in my waistband. I explained that I'd feel ....odd.... asking a sales clerk at a shop or store allow me to tuck an expensive gun in my pants. To my surprise the beautiful revolver fit better than my SP101 in my waistband! I've shrunk 112 pounds over the last 19 or so months. I guess that because of its' smaller frame the SP101 leans into my stomach, under my rib cage margin and sort of digs into my diaphragm area. The grip of the larger GP100 however comfortably rides resting on the outside of my rib cage. The barrel does not poke into my groin as I feared and it doesn't feel like I'm carrying a small tank in my britches as I feared I would feel. What a pleasant finding! Maybe my 6 foot 3 inch 205 pound frame is built differently from many others but I really believe a GP100 is a practical appendix-in-the-waistband carry weapon for me.
Sadly though, I currently only have access to a beautiful, tight and well-fitted 2003-made 6 inch half-shroud stainless GP100. I wish it had a shorter barrel but as it is it's a wonderful accurate and balanced range revolver. I know that for decades the standard issue police revolver was a 6 inch Smith or Colt.
Hmm. As I have the leather the saddle sewing machine and the acquired skills to do so, I'm going to craft an appendix-in-the-waistband holster for my 6 inch half shroud GP100 beauty and try it on for size.
Anyone here ever try appendix-in-the-waistband carry of a 6 inch revolver? I'd appreciate their input.
Thanks and wishing good things for all here in the new year.
Don

What is an AIWB holster? Good job on your weight loss. I have stopped using IWB carry due to putting on too much weight, and I am NOT BUYING bigger clothes!
gramps

Tallbald

Buckeye
I'm sorry. "AIWB" is the abbreviation I've seen and used for a number of years for "appendix-in-the-waistband" (style) carry. I'll amend the original post. Don

If you can't make it fit, Ahlman's gunsmithing department does an excellent job of making a GP smaller and lighter for not a huge amount of $$. You might go to a 3" or 3 1/2" barrel and still have a very potent carry revolver. Or a 4" half-lug.

We all have different builds and different heights we wear our pants but a 6" barreled gun wouldn't work for me. For appendix carry it just seems a little long, maybe uncomfortable for sitting, at a table or riding in a vehicle. I will say 4" is probably max for me and would probably lean toward a 3" for the most comfort. Appendix carry is certainly a fast draw (although I have too much over hang to be comfortable) but requires something over it ALWAYS to hide it. Most men wear their pants higher in the back than the front, which means the front of the shirt needs to be a little longer, to cover things.

After trying the GP-100 4" i found I seldom cared to carry it, but I carry inside the waist from the time I put my pant's on in the morning till I go to bed or put my sweats on to end my day. I found it the most uncomfortable firearms I ever carried with that large round cylinder concentrating all the pressure to that spot.

So, I acquired a 3" SP-101, and felt it was instantly better. But as the day wore on and after a week or so I found that as the day wore on, and the hours of that smaller cylinder sitting digging into me it was maybe worse than the larger diameter of the GP-100. I definitely liked the shorter barrel, but revolvers were becoming the last thing I wanted to carry for any IWB use!

That was when a friend told me he thought as much as I carry the only thing he would recommend was a pistol, as they have no pressure points and are FLAT. But I had carried a XD for a while and hated that, it was just to wide and required to much attention to clothes or it would print. My thoughts about any firearm that prints is, you will be the first target in any situation where you may encounter a bad guy!

So about 15 years ago I started carrying a 1911, single stack, thinner than any revolver, and in the commander size almost as short as most 3" revolvers. I did find it to be the most comfortable firearm I ever carried 12 to 16 hours a day 7 days a week, BUT! I found in shorts and T shirt attire I found it needing more attention to that longer grip printing in some situations.

Finally after a couple months maybe even 6 months after I found how comfortable this was, another friend making a recommendation, a L.E.O. and a ccw instructor, informing me that I would not believe how well bobbed grip on a 1911 made printing nearly non existent. After loaning me his Ed Brown 45 commander sized 1911 I was amazed! It is hard to believe just how huge of an improvement that little corner of a 1911 grip can make when it comes to concealment! In less than a week I started looking at options for a bobbed 1911, even thought maybe an officers model would work with a 6 shot mag knowing it could be less than 100% reliable and picky with some ammo.

Today after carrying about everything imaginable the past 20 some years for IWB carry, I only stick one gun inside my waistband, that's a 1911 single stack commander sized 45 auto. My preference is my DW Valor V-Bob. It is not only more comfortable than a revolver, with 8 in the mag and one in the chamber, it has more capacity, and thinner and flatter than anything I have found.

But we are all different, and all have different bodies and dress. But one thing I was told about carrying a CCW years ago is the most important thing is what is comfortable to you, and what ever you can shoot the best is what should be best for you! If it isn't comfortable, you will find times you don't wear it, that could be the one time in your life you need it! Plus if it is something you cant shoot well, it could be worse than shooting anything!

Tallbald

Buckeye
Thanks for the observations friends. As an experiment I'm crafting an Appendix In The Waistband holster for my 6 inch half shroud GP100. Just to try a while to see if the weight and grip frame work for me for days in a row. I prefer a revolver because that's what I'm most comfortable with from years of woods walking, plinking, and also because of perceived reliability (just my feelings right or wrong. I'll keep my eyes open looking for a tight 4 inch GP100 stainless too. They seem fairly common. As to rebarreling my current half shroud specimen I'd prefer to keep it as it is. A remarkable trainer and range revolver it's quite accurate and fun to shoot at 100 yards with light cast rounds. There are some other things that can serve as trade fodder if a 4 inch version is decided upon.
A heavy gun, the GP100 should still be supported well by a 1 1/2 inch laminated belt of my own crafting too.
Thanks again all. Don

I found the easiest way to carry an GP-100 with a 4 inch barrel was with an Uncle Mike's vertical SH. I am 5'10", and 190 lbs. I am not a fan of appendix carry. Dr Spencer Reid on Criminal Minds carry's in that fashion, and it seems ungainly to me. Plus it is pointing/poking my privates. Good luck!
gramps

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
A few general observations :

Depending upon individual builds , potentially a revolver cylinder can fit comfortably into the hollow in front of the hip bone .

Indeed , sometimes a longer gun is actually more comfortable to carry than a shorter gun . In the slightly different context of behind the hip IWB , for Me , a 5 in 1911 will comfortably rest along side the whole length of my hindpart cheek , while shorter guns will uncomfortably did in on one end or the other .

IWB holsters with clips/ loops both in front and behind the gun And designed with flat section of leather ( or whatever l closest to the body , and be quite comfortable , in the context of the gun digging into the body . Potential design trade offs are overall bulk , taking up a lot of real estate on the belt , and sweating where holster contacts the body . YMMV

Further FWIW , I generally prefer a good close fitting Pancake over an IWB , but that's a topic further afield, and as always , YMMV .

ADDED - Even in casually tucking in waistband w/o holster , a 6.5in is noticeably long and awkward , compared to up to 5in - ish , and I'm a fairly big guy .

As noted we are all built differently. Some have short waists, others longer. Same with legs and arms. Then personal preferences in dress come into play. That my friends is why we all have a box full of holsters. :mrgreen:
gramps

JStacy

Blackhawk
I carry a SP101 , 2.25 or 3" in a belt slide that hugs the gun into my side . I wear a tee shirt and outer shirt loose over the gun so it does not print . There has been a lot of discussion about how many rounds you "need" in a carry gun ! The FBI statistics on gun fights says that the average number of rounds fired is 1.6 rounds . Friends ask "what will you do if attacked by multiple assailants" ? if you are alone and attacked by more than one person you should choose your shots carefully and you still will probably die because one person stands little chance against multiple attackers. If you kill the closest attacked the others will probably run away , if they don't you are in serious trouble.