In a thrift store just now

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was in a thrift store just now, it’s pretty nice and clean.

But two people, I assume they were married, but not sure. Man and woman anyway. They wanted to buy a sofa, it was $150. But they couldn’t afford it.

The way thrift stores work around here, some of them anyway. After two weeks they mark the item down in price, then two weeks do it again etc. until it sells.

Anyway, the store wouldn’t lower the price because they just did last week. It went from $250 to $150. I was eves-dropping on the conversation as best as I could.

I guess I’ve been in that situation too when I was first married. We had a very cheap futon sofa and a used hand me down television.

When I first entered the store, I heard the man say: “Let’s ask if they would take our sofa in on trade.” I thought he was joking, I guess not though.

I couldn’t figure out a graceful way to give the couple $50, without embarrassing anyone, and then they left right away.

mistermills357

Blackhawk
I’ve given people money and I asked them before hand if they needed some. It is the most graceful way that I could figure out, to phrase it.

Nice of you to be willing to help, but it sounds more like some Snowflakes trying
to get someone else to help them furnish their place.
I can see why this comes to mind, but I don’t really think so. It was obvious they had looked at the sofa before. And they sounded pretty genuine to me.

It just really made me stop and realize there are people struggling every day, for basic necessities.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
When we first bought our place in 2007, I went to the local Salvation Army Thrift Store in Tampa and ended up with a nice 3+ place sofa, a 2+ sofa and a big nice Easy Chair for around $150; we hauled all home in a rental trailer. I cant say the sofa color/pattern was on I loved (a green tone with big roses) but it has lasted all these years.

Thrift stores in my town won’t even accept furniture. And $250, or even $150 sounds pricy for a “thrift store” sofa.
It’s actually pretty average for a thrift store sofa around here….if it’s clean and in good condition.

But why don’t they accept furniture in your town? 98% of the furniture in my house is from a thrift store.

I think it’s a lack of display space combined with the expense of hauling rotten sofas to the landfill. People think dropping their nasty old furniture off as a “donation” is a legitimate way to get rid of something that should really be in the dump.

blackhawknj

Buckeye
Here in fairly affluent Central NJ I am amazed at the quality of items people leave by the curb. Got my recliner 11 years ago that way. Don't care for the fabric but the price was right. Had an S-spring break, thanks to the web I found a quick and effective way to repair it.

BearBiologist

Blackhawk
Being retired and my wife still works, I read at least 6 books a week during snow season. I buy at the Veterans Thrift Store (I get a vet's discount) and recycle the books after I read them. That way I make a donation, enjoy the books, and everybody benefits.

My entire wardrobe (except socks and underwear) comes from thrift stores. I've seen several nice pieces of furniture, but don't need any more.
Same here. Although I can't pass up nice furniture at decent prices. Right now, I've got a spare dining room table in my computer room. It's Maple, and for the $59, I couldn't pass it up. As soon as it warms up just a bit more, I'm going to refinish it out in the garage.

My wife doesn't like it, but she will admit it's a pretty nice table.

Markbo

Bearcat
I've paid it forward at checkout numerous rimes. Don't make a big deal. Just say "I'm gonna get that for you today. Not a big deal... just paying it forward. You just have to do it for someone else." Every time they are shocked, thankful and promise to pay it forward. I dont doubt a single one

I've paid it forward at checkout numerous rimes. Don't make a big deal. Just say "I'm gonna get that for you today. Not a big deal... just paying it forward. You just have to do it for someone else." Every time they are shocked, thankful and promise to pay it forward. I dont doubt a single one
This is the best idea yet. To just play it off like something I have to do because someone did me a favor earlier.

I’ll try it…thanks!

BearBiologist

Blackhawk
My neighbor refinishes furniture and collects antique toys. He and his wife go daily to thrift stores. He sometimes finds classic furniture to restore or sometimes scrap for the good wood in it (He builds wooden models of cars!). He sells them at garage sales=we've picked up several really nice pieces. He's also the neighborhood handyman and he put together a workshop for me this past fall.

Latest posts