imr 4227

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bearcreek

Bearcat
a buddy of mine been hounding me to try H4227 powder in my 357 and 44, so i went to the gun store and the guy there told me they quit making it 5 years ago, but he had IMR4227(it appairs that IMR,HODGDON,and WIN are owned by the same comp.) so i bought it, now on my burn chart they are next to each other in burn rates. so do you think i can use the same charge weight with IMR4227 as i would with H4227,i know that before you could on some loads and not on others. or should i just start low and work my way up and see how that works?

alaskamace

Bearcat
I recently had the same question. I was told they are basically the same powder. I would start at your minimum load and work up. Don't directly substitute powders without working up the load.

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
Well I do not have a maxi so I cannot comment on that one. I do have 357mag/44mag/454cassull and 30carbine that I use the H-110 in.

res45

Bearcat
IMR-4227 used to be made in Canada the H4227 was made in Australia,the H4227 wasn't as popular as the IMR version so Hodgdon's drop the H4227 name and kept the more popular IMR brand but the IMR is actually the H4227 in and IMR bottle.

I shoot both powders the H110 or W296 same powder different label doesn't have any latitude on reduced loads,I use the IMR4227 with my cast bullets loads more than anything since i have a lot of it.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have used both H4227 & IMR 4227 for several years. I've found it to be very good in several of my guns,,, but I always try different powders with different bullets to find what MY gun likes.
As noted,, start low & work up slowly after talking with the MFGer.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
I really like 4227 for medium level loads as it can be reduced significantly. I have tried full power loads with it, but preferred Lil'Gun at that level. I'll be trying H110 next for the barn burners. I do keep at least a pound on hand though for normal shooting loads; 20 gr under a 250 gr cast is crisp but pleasureable to shoot (45 Colt Load).

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
How is 4227 in the "clean/dirty" side of things? I recently discovered HP-38/Win231, and like it, but I note that my store has a big stock of 4227...

-- Sam

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
It is clean when you are in the 30,000 CUP range. That 20 grain charge is a bit dirty with unburned crumbs remaining. Not a lot of soot though from my recollection.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I find 4227 on the cleaner side. After a 50 round box through the maxi it usually looks pretty good yet. I use it in the maxi after advice from others on the board here about the flame cutting issue. It is the only powder I have tried for the maxi and since I am getting good velocities and accuracy (and no flame cutting) I see no need to mess up a good thing. For my heavy 44 loads I stick with H-110. Gives velocity and accuracy in my SBH and 77/44. Remember that H-110 is not one you want to try reduced loads with.

I haven't tried Power Pistol yet but have some on the shelf. Anyone have any experience with that yet?

DGW1949

Hunter
IMR 4227 is basicly a fast rifle powder.
Way back when I was a pup, I tried IMR4227 for warmish 45LC loads. As I recall, it worked worked perty good once you get above SAAMI pressuires but not as good as Unique for anything up to about 1000FPS.
More recently, I used it while working-up acuuracy loads for the 7.62X39 and found it to be excellent.

Contrary to what Hodgdon may tell you, in my experience their "H" powders are NOT the same as the IMR powders that came in the metal can. I'm not convinced that the new line of IMR powders are the same as they once were either. So to me, that means that I can't use old data for the current version of IMR powders.
On the other hand, most of my experience with IMR powders has been loading for gas operated semiauto rifles, so what I learned from that may not even apply to a revolver....dunno.

Just saying to be carefull.

DGW

Pal Val

Buckeye
I use IMR4227 for my "warm" .44 mag loads. I get good accuracy with jacketed bullets, and don't find it to be dirty at all. Use standard primers. I once tried magnum primers with IMR4227 and accuracy went out the window.

My other powder for the mid-range loads in .44 mag is Blue Dot, and it leaves considerably more soot in the gun than the IMR4227.

Latest posts