Impulse Hunter buy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
I generally don't make "impulse buys". However.......I walked into the local gun shop last week and the owner said, "Hey Ruger guy....look at this beast." He'd just got in a Super Blackhawk Hunter in .44 Mag with a Bushnell 2-6x32 scope. I've never owned a .44 Mag handgun and have never had a scope on a pistol or revolver so.......I said, "I'll take it" and that was it.

I gave him a near mint New Model .41 Mag Blackhawk and some cash. Took the Hunter to the range today but it was mighty cold and windy. Only got about 18 rounds through it but I'm looking forward to a warmer day with more time to spend getting it dialed in.

What's the protocol on keeping the factory scope rings tight? Check them on a regular basis? Locktite? Other ideas?

Stoots

Buckeye
I had one of those, sold it in a fit of stupidity.

I used blue LokTite. Clear nail polish works good too. Never had a problem.

:wink:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I love mine, though I don't have a scope. Somewhat similar story, in that it was an impulse buy. I'd always liked the look of the gun, but am not a hunter, and really had no need for a .44 mag. At one point I decided I absolutely had to have a .45 Colt gun, and stumbled upon an Accusport convertible for a decent price. The very next day I ran across a SBHH at a really good price. I had never purchased two guns so close together before. And I still can't decide which I like better. ;)

-- Sam

Snyd

Single-Sixer
Hey congrats there on the Hunter w/scope. I'm in the same boat. Just got a hunter in 45 Colt, put a scope on it and am getting it dialed in. My first handgun with a scope. I'm finding I like the scope. Especially for working up loads and seeing how accurate the gun really is.