Improving Ruger 77/357 Performance

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GeezerD

Bearcat
gramps said:
GeezerD said:
Today I did some shooting with my 77/357 using Lil-Gun powder. The temperature is 90+ degrees with high humidity so high pressure loads are more likely to show indicators of excessive pressure.

Load 1 - 158gr XTP, Sig brass, Win SPM primer, 20gr Lil-Gun, 1.650 COL - No Excess Pressure Signs

Load 2 - 180gr XTP, Sig brass, Win SPM primer, 18gr Lil-Gun, 1.720 COL - No Excess Pressure Signs

Load 3 - 200gr RN Sierra Pro Hunter .358 dia., Win SPM primer, 17gr Lil-Gun, 1.870 COL - No Excess Pressure Signs

These loads were fired in my 77/357 which has a cylindrical throat that is .358 dia. and is .450 in length. All loads are well in excess of Hodgdon data. Load 3 is 2gr more than the maximum load suggested for 180gr XTP but uses a 200gr bullet that is .358 in diameter.

Now I need to chronograph these loads and do some accuracy testing. ----------- GeezerD
It bothers me that you are over max with your powder charge, and aren't using a chronograph. You may find the only indication you get of overpressue will be BOOM!
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=239550
Good luck.
gramps

Gramps - I did cronograph load #1 at - 1972 fps avg with an extreme spread of 87 fps. I did a substantial amount of research on this before I started this project. The freebore in the chamber allows loading to an overall length that is longer than the 357 Maximum which in a T/C can be loaded with 21.6gr of LilGun behind a 180gr XTP.

None of the loads have a compressed powder charge or use a heavy crimp and freebore has the effect of lowering the pressure for a given load. I have also checked all of the cases for head expansion and loose primers - nothing.

A fellow over on the Marlin Owners forum has been using 19gr behind several different 158gr bullets with good results in his 1894 levergun which requires a shorter COL and has a much shorter throat.

It is good to hear that Ruger is returning the 77/357 to production status so if I blow this one up, I can get another one. ------------------- GeezerD

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I had a 77/44 blue walnut. Enjoyed shooting it at the range but sold it to get a 77/357 synthetic stainless which I now have. I still miss the 77/44 and even have thought several times of building a 357 Bain Davis but dreaming's cheaper than doing.... lol. As successful as the Ruger American is I wouldn't be too surprised to see it come out in 357 Mag, possibly even 357 Max. Be nice if a 357 Max version would cycle 357 Mag or even 38 Spl ammo!

GeezerD said:
gramps said:
GeezerD said:
Today I did some shooting with my 77/357 using Lil-Gun powder. The temperature is 90+ degrees with high humidity so high pressure loads are more likely to show indicators of excessive pressure.

Load 1 - 158gr XTP, Sig brass, Win SPM primer, 20gr Lil-Gun, 1.650 COL - No Excess Pressure Signs

Load 2 - 180gr XTP, Sig brass, Win SPM primer, 18gr Lil-Gun, 1.720 COL - No Excess Pressure Signs

Load 3 - 200gr RN Sierra Pro Hunter .358 dia., Win SPM primer, 17gr Lil-Gun, 1.870 COL - No Excess Pressure Signs

These loads were fired in my 77/357 which has a cylindrical throat that is .358 dia. and is .450 in length. All loads are well in excess of Hodgdon data. Load 3 is 2gr more than the maximum load suggested for 180gr XTP but uses a 200gr bullet that is .358 in diameter.

Now I need to chronograph these loads and do some accuracy testing. ----------- GeezerD
It bothers me that you are over max with your powder charge, and aren't using a chronograph. You may find the only indication you get of overpressue will be BOOM!
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=239550
Good luck.
gramps

Gramps - I did cronograph load #1 at - 1972 fps avg with an extreme spread of 87 fps. I did a substantial amount of research on this before I started this project. The freebore in the chamber allows loading to an overall length that is longer than the 357 Maximum which in a T/C can be loaded with 21.6gr of LilGun behind a 180gr XTP.

None of the loads have a compressed powder charge or use a heavy crimp and freebore has the effect of lowering the pressure for a given load. I have also checked all of the cases for head expansion and loose primers - nothing.

A fellow over on the Marlin Owners forum has been using 19gr behind several different 158gr bullets with good results in his 1894 levergun which requires a shorter COL and has a much shorter throat.

It is good to hear that Ruger is returning the 77/357 to production status so if I blow this one up, I can get another one. ------------------- GeezerD
Different guns, different pressure curves. Good luck.
gramps

GeezerD

Bearcat
I did some more testing w/158gr FP-XTP. Using 19gr Lil Gun powder w/ CCI small rifle primer, and a moderate crimp. It produced 1917 fps with an extreme spread of 52 fps.

There were no signs of excessive pressure. This load was very accurate, producing groups at 100yds of less than 2 inches. The overall length allows them to feed through the magazine and the FP-XTP should perform better at these speeds. This may well be my standard deer load but I will do some additional testing with the 180gr XTP. --------------- GeezerD

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
Sounds like very good performance for deer. I'll be curious as to your results with the 180's as they seem to shoot best in my rifle. I've not tried Lil Gun but it's on my short list.