Important information on the Ruger SP101 327 Federal.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rcdoma

Bearcat
the 41 Magnum Man":17zl2ss4 said:
rcdoma":17zl2ss4 said:
A newbie question about this revolver... Could someone please tell me how long it takes before the cylinder timing gets off in this revolver, assuming I shoot about 100 rounds a month. Am planning to take it overseas where there are no precision repair facilities. I'll use it the US for atleast a year to resolve any issues before taking it overseas.

Thanks,
Ram
In most quality revolvers, an individual would need to fire several thousand rounds per month for years b4 the timing crapped out. With the problems involved with the SP's, I wouldn't take one overseas. I would get a different weapon.

Thanks for the info 41 Magnum Man! The QC issues with SP101 and lack of readily available spares made me select a .40 Glock with .22 conversion kit. I will be ordering a .30 Luger(sleeve a 9mm) conversion barrel for it to use with the local ammo as .40 or 9mm won't be available to me.

Wonder how the other .327 revolvers are doing. Any recommendations or should I just wait a few years?

Tom M

Bearcat
Just an update. I sent my 327 in to Ruger on 4/21/09. I told them in my letter of instruction that they had 30 days to repair the gun, or issue a refund. I called the CS supervisor last week, and left a message, but got no return call. Yesterday, I called the general CS number and asked the rep who answered if I could get a resolution. She said she would discuss it with the supervisor. Supervisor called me at 9:30 this morning to say the gun was being repaired (new cylinder) as we spoke, and I'd have the gun back in a week, after testing. Not 30 days, but better than the 6 months I figured I was going to have to wait. Hopefully, they've now resolved the problems with these guns.

Madman

Bearcat
I've been following the posts both here and on that "other" Ruger Forum regarding the .327 SP-101 because I bought one a short while ago. After reading about the bulged cases and sticky extraction, I wasn't eager to try it out. I called Ruger customer service today about the nasty looking crown on the barrel (off center and lop sided) and threw in a few questions about possible problems with the .327's cylinder. The lady said "a few" had experienced problems. So, it's safe to shoot I asked. Absolutely!! was her reply. I explained that I had read about serious problems on two Ruger Forums and she said "don't believe everything you read on those sites". She also said that Ruger has never agreed to replace any SP-101's or refund anyone's money because of the cylinder issue. Golly! I guess I must have misread all of the posts!! At first she wanted me to send the gun back on my nickel but after more discussion about my concerns, she agreed to send a UPS call tag and have the gun picked up on June 1st. They will look at the muzzle problem and inspect the cylinder. She did admit that there had been some recent design changes made to the cylinder. It seems to me that Ruger is making a real effort to avoid admitting that the issues are anything more than isolated instances even though they went back to the drawing board to fix the non-problem. I hope it all gets sorted out.

Madman

RugerRover

Bearcat
I ran my SP-101 .327 Fed Magnum -- an early model -- through the hoops, firing the following ammo types:
  • Federal Premium .327 85 Gr Hydra-shok JHP PD327HS1
    Speer LE Gold Dot .327 115 Gr GDHP 32914
    American Eagle .327 100 Gr JSP AE327
    Master .32 H&R Mag 100 Gr JHP MC32M
    Georgia Arms .32 H&R Mag 100 Gr JHP G32MA
Besides a little stickiness in all charge holes, one in particular -- which I labeled #6 -- has a significant problem with cases bulging and being hard to remove (particularly with the 85 Gr .327 ammo).

I emailed Ruger on Friday and requested a slip to return it to the factory.

It looks to me like my particular SP-101 has a problem with a charge hole out of spec (it may be "belled" a little bit) but it also seems like this is a problematic cartridge. Tolerances are less for a round that has a high ratio of case length to bore, a relatively small bore, and is generally operating under very high pressures. Not that this detracts from the effectiveness of the round or invalidates the gun/round combination. And shooting .32 H&R magnums in these guns is pure fun, as it is very mild (and pushing a 100 Gr. bullet out at 1100 fps makes it reasonable enough, without resorting to the 1500 fps of the .327 Fed).

MTF. (I also posted this on the Sig Forum, where there has been some discussion of the .327 Fed round).

RugerRover

Bearcat
Ruger authorized the return on my SP-101 in .327 to the factory at their expense (UPS pickup at my house) yesterday.

The solution, the lady told me on the phone, is installation of a new "redesigned" cylinder.

More to follow...

Tom M

Bearcat
Well, got the 327 back this morning. The work order says they replaced the cylinder and internal components, and repaired the barrel, cylinder latch, and crane. The gun is spotless, cleaner than it was when I bought it, brand new. We'll see how she shoots this weekend.

If there was ever a gun that needed trigger work, though, this is it. Feels like the innards are filled with sand. I also need to find a beter grip. Not doing anything, however, until I make sure they actually fixed the cylinder problem. Will report back after the range trip.

Madman

Bearcat
Tom M":56dul0wr said:
Well, got the 327 back this morning. The work order says they replaced the cylinder and internal components, and repaired the barrel, cylinder latch, and crane. The gun is spotless, cleaner than it was when I bought it, brand new. We'll see how she shoots this weekend.

If there was ever a gun that needed trigger work, though, this is it. Feels like the innards are filled with sand. I also need to find a beter grip. Not doing anything, however, until I make sure they actually fixed the cylinder problem. Will report back after the range trip.

I'm glad to hear about the fast turnaround time. My SP-101 was supposed to be picked up on 6/1 but UPS didn't show. After calling UPS and Ruger I determined that Ruger issued the call tag for South 9th St instead of North 9th St. so it was picked up on 6/2 and was delivered to Ruger the following day. Hope that slip up is not an omen of things to come!
Do you have a way to check the uniformity of the chamber diameters on the replacement cylinder? I checked mine before shipping it and found a spread of .0045 in the diameters at the rear of the chambers and only .001 at the front.
Hope they got yours fixed up.

Madman

donutsrule

Bearcat
Tom M":1cp1smx3 said:
Well, got the 327 back this morning. The work order says they replaced the cylinder and internal components, and repaired the barrel, cylinder latch, and crane. The gun is spotless, cleaner than it was when I bought it, brand new.

Any notable visual difference with the new cylinder?

Tom M

Bearcat
donutsrule":26zmz8p4 said:
Any notable visual difference with the new cylinder?

Looks no different than the old one. No extra markings, or anything to indicate it's not the original part.

Tom M

Bearcat
Madman":24xy6vy4 said:
Do you have a way to check the uniformity of the chamber diameters on the replacement cylinder? I checked mine before shipping it and found a spread of .0045 in the diameters at the rear of the chambers and only .001 at the front.
Hope they got yours fixed up.

Madman

Unfortunately, my measuring tools consist of one of those roll up metal carpenter's rulers and a plastic ruler from a Kmart pharmacy. :( Next time I go to my gunsmith, I'll take the cylinder and have him run a gauge through it.

Tom M

Bearcat
Just got back from the range, and the gun appears to be "fixed". No sticking/bulged cases, and the charge holes all seem to be of the same diameter. Accuracy is about as good as I can do with a new 3" revolver at 30'. I put a Hogue Monogrip on the gun, and it helps quite a bit. I have a wide hand, and my pinky dangles off the bottom of the factory grip. Will do an action job this evening, and get rid of the gritty feel, and lighten the trigger pull just a mite. I think I'm going to like this gun. Too bad I couldn't like it when I bought it on April 16th.

mncarpenter

Bearcat
Ruger has had my 327 for 2 months, was told it was getting a new cylinder. When I called them originally(aprox April 20 09) the service rep said he had never heard of this issue. I said that was kinda odd, it was all over the forums and elsewhere. I had actually listed my gun on Gunbroker and had gotten so many e-mails asking if casings were sticking I pulled it off. One email suggested visiting this site,after reading the posts here, I realized it wasn't peculiar to my revolver.Ruger had UPS pick it up, I called them after three weeks, a woman called back and said it woud be 2 more weeks, as they were replacing the cylinder. I didn't realize it took that long to replace a cylinder , but I guess with the incompetency they are displaying it is probably a pretty involved process for them. :roll: I still haven't gotten my gun back, they received it April 27, its June 25-unreal.

Buddy in FL

Bearcat
Ruger has issued a pickup for my 327 for tomorrow Friday 6/26. When I called customer service after explaining the extraction issue-Michael immediately requested my info in order to do the pickup. I'll post as the process develops.

mncarpenter

Bearcat
I called today to find out where my gun is, it was at the range being checked out after the cylinder was replaced. Hopefully have it home next week. Probably go right back on Gunbroker.

Ronnie J

Bearcat
Well Ruger has held up their end well. I bought my 327 mag in Nov. 08 but had not had a chance to shoot it due to a couple of broken legs-so when the grand kids were in--off to the range we went--now also I had not been much to look at the computer while the legs were going wild on me. The next day my call to Ruger lasted about 5 min's :) two days later UPS shows up with a pre paid label-yes I do want to keep my 327 even if it may be come only a novel gun to have but we do have 4 more 101' between us. What can you expect from some one who is all ready in a wheelchair and still manges to break both legs :x

Best to all
Ron

peyton

Single-Sixer
No report on S&W 632 yet, they are like unicorns, often talked about, never found!!

mncarpenter

Bearcat
this is getting to be beyond ridiculous-still no gun and no word from Ruger-I wonder how many 327 sp101's they have confiscated-apparently they aren't making them at all now, I haven't seen one on Gunbroker for a while now. It's officially been 3 mths + that they have had this gun.

RugerRover

Bearcat
peyton":2deqacm5 said:
No report on S&W 632 yet, they are like unicorns, often talked about, never found!!

Edited:

The 632's do seem to be out of stock everywhere -- even Gun Genie. Hmmmm. Wonder if the .327 is causing problems for S&W too...

Jeff Quinn did a write-up on the 632 last February. http://www.gunblast.com/SW-632CCP.htm

If .327 is not a snake-bitten round, I'd like to see S&W make and sell a 632 that isn't a Carry-Comp, e.g., for a price closer to the 442 or 642 (e.g., the .38 Centennials). I see that the old 432 is currently not offered for sale, but that should be offered in .327 as well -- which would be great.

But most of all, I'd like to see my SP-101 .327 Federal back from Ruger with the replacement cylinder...

Latest posts