I'm to dang old allready!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ChuckS1

Bearcat
Back to the original post, check out a Merit Optical Attachment. It will fix your problem so you can see both sights clearly.

Here's the website since I can't seem to get the URL HTML stuff to work...

http://www.meritcorporation.com/how_they_work.html

I think there are less expensive versions out there from Lyman and maybe others. Midway sells them, as does Brownell's and other web stores that cater to competition shooting.

Brother_Love

Single-Sixer
I am there at 59 (tomorrow BTW). I have tried the Merit disc. I have tried "readers" that focus the front sight but the target is so blurred I cannot get a good sight picture. I have even tried using my stronger eye, left eye/right hand, better but not good.

I placed a BSA red dot on my ruger 22 auto, 6 7/8 barrel and I can hit with it. Those things look crappy on a revolver though.

I may just sell all my handguns and get rifles w/scopes, I can still hit with them. It is very frustrating because I used to ba able to shoot and shoot well. I was on our police pistol team and placed at severval matches. I shot IHMSA and shot a .338 CJMK and many perfect scores. Now I cannot hit the proverbial barn with a handgun.

Very discouraging getting old but the alternative ain't so good either. Malcolm

Spike12

Bearcat
RE: Red Dot...

Put one on my S&W .22 sem pistol and it worked well.

I think there's a fixed power scope or another red dot coming for my Browning BLR too.

For the revolvers, the colors worked great. If you're looking for a gun to try, look for a Henry youth .22 bolt or T/C .22. They come with fiber optic sites standard.

ChuckS1

Bearcat
Well, red dots are another answer. I have Ultra Dots on my bullseye guns (a Les Baer M1911A1 and a S&W 41). The only hassle is the drilling and tapping for a mount.

On the other hand. the only thing you have to have in focus is the front sight. The rear sight and the target are going to be slightly blurred. Your eyes can't focus on all three clearly.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
I had the same problem but started moving my glasses out further on my nose to focus. I get a decent sight picture this way. The sights are useable and I can still see the target. It's not a perfect solution but it won't cost you anything to try it.

Best Regards,
ADP3

Wobble

Bearcat
Don't know if appropriate for your gun, but I installed a Bushnell Trophy red dot sight on my target pistol and it did wonders for my shooting.

I too, have old eyes and what the red dot allowed was for me to use my "distance" glasses. It eliminates the near-focus problem with the front and rear iron sights. Optically, the red dot is focused at a long distance, not in the sight itself. So, I now see the target and the red dot in perfect focus at the same time. Furthermore, it allows me to shoot with both eyes open, which to me is a huge plus.

ChuckS1

Bearcat
The only problem iwth a red dot is that if your eyes won't let you focus on the front or rear sight, the dot will be out of focus as well. For me, it looked like a small comet. I have to use my Merit to get the dot to appear as a small red ball.

andyo5

Single-Sixer
oldyeller":3hrud8f6 said:
OK igive up if i wear my glasses i can see the target if i take them off i can allmost see the sights right. I will NOT give up my security six or my blk hk's. i will not scope them..... So gang what do i do?Montana Mike.

I have the same issue. My theory is to shoot the way you would in an emergency. If attacked by a thug you will not have time to go and get your glasses. So if you ordinarily don't wear glasses, practice without them.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Shotgun...
Seriously though, I saw a previous post advising to change the color of your front sites. One of my neighbors was having the same issue and he got some of his wife's finger nail polish and painted the front site edge; he swears it made all the difference in the world - not sure if you have to coordinate the color with your shoes though. :p

gunslinger_h

Blackhawk
I learned a lot reading this string. My eyes are getting old also. Will try some of the suggestions and see which helps the best. If glasses, I will have to get two pair as I shoot a handgun lefthanded and a rifle right handed. But I have a place or two to go now. Thanks much, Hank.

Groo

Bearcat
Groo here
Same problem, get a lot of light on the sides of your sight[wider notch]
Stick on reading glasses one on the shooting side other eye clear..
Shoot outside as the light is more even .
SD shooting is close and usually in low light, so bone up on your point shooting.. Hope this helps..