I'm to dang old allready!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldyeller

Single-Sixer
OK igive up if i wear my glasses i can see the target if i take them off i can allmost see the sights right. I will NOT give up my security six or my blk hk's. i will not scope them..... So gang what do i do?Montana Mike.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Do what you have to do to see the sights. Let the target blur. But wear clear safety glasses in any event. Guns like to spit junk out in various odd ways and you don't want any of it in your eyes.

Snake45

Hawkeye
ChuckS1":1fsytjj6 said:
Get a Merit Dioopter. It'll fix your problem. Here's a link (http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/20 ... -old-eyes/)that explains how diopters work.

While I use the Merit, Lyman has a much less expensive version. Midway sells it.
Those are great on the range, not much use in "real life." :(

The other thing he can do is learn to point-shoot. With some practice, some very impressive work can be done out to 5-7 yards or even more. (This is of course for defensive work, not for target or hunting.)

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
I ended up having to get progressive lenses this year. I hate them. The only thing they did for pistol shooting is make me have to make sure the gun is in the "sweet spot". For rifle shooting they are truly a pain. When I'm not shooting all they did was allow me to read things closer, although I suppose that's good as I was running out of arm.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I tried progressives for a week and could not stand them. They were guaranteed so I returned them for bifocals. MUCH better. You could not give me a pair of progressives.

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
Snake45":3453xsjs said:
I tried progressives for a week and could not stand them. They were guaranteed so I returned them for bifocals. MUCH better. You could not give me a pair of progressives.

if I'd had that same guarantee I'd have done the same thing.

ChuckS1

Bearcat
Remember, it's physically impossible to keep the rear sight, front sight AND target in focus. Your eyes just can't do it. When I really learned pistol marksmanship in the Army, I was taught to focus on the front sight, all else is blurrred. That being said, the diopter on my shooting glasses fixes my 54 year old eyesight so I can focus properly.

tguil

Single-Sixer
Progressive lenses work great for me with a handgun. I have scopes on all my rifles and do not wear my glasses when I'm shooting them. (I only use my rifles for hunting.) With my shotguns, I just "let fly" -- no glasses.

The glasses that I use right now for shooting are WileyX P-17's (wrap-arounds). They have dark lenses. I may buy another set with clear lenses for indoor shooting. The progressive lenses seem to work better on these glasses than on my fancy "good" glasses.

Check 'em out -- http://www.wileyx.com/OUTDOORS/index.aspx I should add that they have a certain "cool factor" for us "old guys". :mrgreen:

I also have fiber optic sights on all of my handguns.

Tom 8)

varminter22

Single-Sixer
I've been using these "stick on" bifocals for a year or two now. They work great.

http://www.eabco.com/BifocalStickOn.htm

Makes Bifocals for Shooters, Reloaders, Fishermen, and Gunsmiths... Close Focus! Add close focus reading lenses to your glasses and see clearly up close!... They look and work like bifocals for a lot less money. And, you can even customize them to suit your special close focus needs perfectly!

Just add water and these soft, flexible lenses stick to eyeglasses, sunglasses, shooting glasses, safety glasses,... you name it! They're easily removable without damaging your eyeglass lenses. And you can position them wherever you want... even trim them to a special size or shape.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I recently added a pair of these to my "arsenal" of "aging tools":

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-CARSON_ ... -2151.aspx

You might want to call them - I believe that they may have them in more than one power. First, you might want to drop by the drugstore and look at their reading glasses, find the "power" that best fits you, then get a pair of the "flip ups" nearest the ideal.

The REAL solution, of course, is just to add a Red Dot sight to your revolver:roll: .

Dale53

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Dedicated progressive shooting and reloading glasses with side shields work great for me. With a handgun a little head bobbing will get the front sight in focus perfectly. With a rifle scope the reticle and view is clear as a bell, looking through the top part of the lenses. And I appreciate being able to read fine print and seeing those little screws. Best investment I ever made. :D

...Jimbo

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
I went to tri-focals and had them grind the center portion so that I could focus on the front sight of my P90, not much differance for any hand gun.

But you have to make them do it. They normally grind the center part to a formula that still left the front sight a little blurry.

The tri-focals work great.

DM

Spike12

Bearcat
Consider changing the color of your sites. If you can get some type of fiber-optic setup - all the better.

I have the same problem and changed the color of the sites to something bright and the problems we all but 100% fixed. A cheap try is to use model airplane paint. I like the front site to be diff color from the rear.

Helped me a lot.

oldyeller

Single-Sixer
OK let me clarify this problem i can se the target w/o my glasses allthough it is slightly blurry however i cannot differentiate the space between front and rear sight side to side if i wear my reading glasses or tri's the target is a forget it. I have about 100,000 rounds thru 1st year sec six's and just bought 2 like new sec six's one unfired.both 1st yr. so i think i do a pretty good of point shooting however sometimes i just like to shoot paper and plastic bottles and cans and it is getting frustrating to not be able to see wehther or not my sight are lined up properly for target shooting,either vertically or horiz. so i need some help on being able to line up sights for target i have and still can do a fair job on cuyotes to 50 60 yds moving. does anyone have an idea what color site variations would give me more definition . as i have a whole s pot full of nail polish to choose from and can experiment until i find the right combo .then i can change the sight color perm. Montana Mike.

Latest posts