I'm now a Vaquero owner

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Anyone who has followed my recent posts will know that for several weeks I have been preparing to buy my next Ruger single action. Well, I finally zeroed in on what I want and then set out to find it. Yesterday I got myself a nice, lightly used KBNV455-I (a stainless .45 Vaquero, 5.5 inch with simulated ivory grips).

The owner was asking $500 for the gun, a leather holster and cartridge belt, about 500 once-fired cases, and a mixed assortment of factory ammo totalling about 100 rounds. This seemed like a reasonable deal, and the gun spoke to me when I handled it (which is important for me in any gun buying decision). Trouble was, I only had $440, even after scraping together everything I could find. I didn't want this one to get away, so I talked him into letting me take the gun for 440, promising to return in a few weeks with the remaining 60 bucks, at which time I will take the accessories.

I haven't shot it yet, but after closely examining it, I am really happy. It's in good shape--not perfect, but appears to have been well cared for, with only a few handling marks. I now have 3 single action 45s, each in a different flavor: the stainless Buckeroo; a 4.75" Uberti Model 1873 Chisholm, which is an SAA replica with checkered walnut grips and matte black metal finish (sort of like a USFA Rodeo); and a Bisley Blackhawk, 7.5" blued. I think all I need to round out the collection is something with a short barrel, like a Montado or Sheriff's Model, and maybe a birdshead or brass gripframe.

So, you may ask, what am I going to do with this latest purchase, aside from shooting it at the range once in a while? Well, I could take it along when I go roaming in the desert, with shot shells in the first 2 chambers in case I see a snake that I want to do away with, and hollowpoints in the rest for critters a lot bigger than snakes who are intent on harming me. I could stoke it up with cast lead bullets and powder charges somewhat heavier than the factories will load, to carry in the mountains for peace of mind in bear territory. (I know... even heavy 45 Colts are not really enough for bears, but they're certainly better than nothing, and even beat 357s and 45 ACPs). I probably won't get into CAS, because I think that game is kind of silly. (Nothing against those who participate, it's just not my thing.) And I probably won't take it on my motorcycle, as my SP-101 fits in the tank bag a lot better. I definitely WILL keep it by my side while sitting around the campfire, just because that's where it seems to belong.

rtl

Single-Sixer
Sounds as if you've been bitten by the SA bug my brother. That's ok, you've got company.

I recently GAVE the exact same model to a friend of mine. He's an extremely successful business owner with a net worth 100 fold that of mine, but he had so much fun shooting it at our last outing I just had to give it to him. I've lived a blessed life and own more than I'll ever have time to shoot, I'm just glad this particular revolver found a good home.

Nice revolver you got there, extremely versitile for pretty much anything you choose to do with it. Be safe, enjoy it, and share the sport.

rt

rtl

Single-Sixer
Don't mean to spend your money, but if you ever get the chance to shoot an OM sheriffs model or birdshead Vaq.... you may find a niche in your lifestile for one or more of those. She-who-shall-be-obeyed and I certainly have.

hisandhers-1.jpg

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Yes, I've had the bug for some time. I don't know what it is about old west style guns- I love 'em all.

I was only able to get this one by squirrelling away $10 here and $20 there in a fund that SWMBO doesn't know about.

I love the looks of the stainless birdshead with black micarta grips. Hopefully some day I can get one. But that will not happen for many moons, since the aforementioned fund is now empty--in fact, it's 60 bucks in the red!

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
I'm sorry bout this not being a Ruger but I love my Thunderer and it is a real shooter. Would like to add a Vaquero with the 5 1/2" soon then the 7 1/2" too.

IMG_0651.jpg