I'm making a holster. What frame size is this Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
I was asked to make a holster for this New Model Blackhawk. Being an Old Model fan, I'm not sure what frame size this is. Is it the same as my 1969 Blackhawk .357, a bigger one like my Super Blackhawk, or like the NM Flat Tops? I can't tell at this slight angle if its flat. Can you tell by the info with the gun or just by looking at it what frame size is? And is the frame of the new Flat Top .44 Specials about the same as a Colt New Frontier? Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:
New model 45 Colt so it is a large frame Blackhawk.same size as 44 mag just without the dragoon grip frame. If it were one of the new flat top 45 it would be on the midsized frame similar to the original 357 flat tops and Blackhawk.

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
Question Sir. Any pictures of holsters you have made for USFA shop keepers with 31/2" barrels?
Thanks for the info on the frames. 90% of holsters I make are for Colts and S&Ws revolvers, but only in old western styles. Your gun probably fits a colt holster perfect, right? Here's one I made for a Colt Sheriffs Model some years back, but requested with a very open toe so a longer barrel Colt could be used in it, too. This photo sent to me by the buyer.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I agree with Robb Barnes: that it is the large frame, same as the Super Blackhawk (and old model large frame).

All the Ruger Flat Top Blackhawks including the .44 Special are built on the old model mid-size frame except the .41 and .44 Mag New Model Flat Top Blackhawks which are large frames.

The Ruger mid-size frames are larger than the Colt New Frontier as well as the Colt SAAs. And the Ruger mid-size cyls are ~1.675" diameter, ~.020" larger than the Colt cyls.

USFA cyls are also~.020" larger diameter than all the Colt cyls, with the exception of the USFA "Old Armory Original" model, intro'd around 2009 which is true to the original Colt cyl dimensions of ~1.655".

USFA also sold 'Old Armory Original Model' Colt replacement cylinders of 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen dimensions which are what I've used to replace my 2nd and 3rd gen Colt cylinders because USFA cyls have authentic 1st gen size flutes, and black powder chamfers at the front end of the flutes.

So Ruger and the standard USFA with ~.020" larger cyls and frames are a bit stronger than Colt's.

Last edited:

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
I agree with Robb Barnes: that it is the large frame, same as the Super Blackhawk (and old model large frame).

All the Ruger Flat Top Blackhawks including the .44 Special are built on the old model mid-size frame except the .41 and .44 Mags New Model Flat Top Blackhawks which are large frames.

The Ruger mid-size frames are larger than the Colt New Frontier as well as the Colt SAAs. And the Ruger mid-size cyls are ~1.675" diameter, ~.020" larger than the Colt cyls.

USFA cyls are also~.020" larger diameter than all the Colt cyls, with the exception of the USFA "Old Armory Original" model, intro'd around 2009 which is true to the original Colt cyl dimensions of ~1.655".

USFA also sold Old Armory Original Model Colt replacement cylinders of 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen dimensions which are what I've used to replace my 2nd and 3rd gen Colt cylinders because USFA cyls have authentic 1st gen size flutes, and black powder chamfers at the front end of the flutes.

So Ruger and the standard USFA with ~.020" larger cyls and frames are a bit stronger than Colt's.
Thanks, Hondo, AND Robb Barnes. Hondo, as usual you're my "Phineas J Whoopee" to come to when asking about Colts, S&Ws, and now Rugers. Among a few other guys on other more specific topics. and I bet you even know who Phineas J Whoopee is.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Simple way to look at it is the serial number.
2 digit prefix is a large frame . Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Bisley or Vaquero. Same frame size does not matter .
3 digit prefix is a mid-frame gun Blackhawk , Bisley or Vaquero.
Oddball is the oldest 3 screw 357 which is closest to the mid-frame.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
And Uberti " Clones since 2005- ish are also a hair larger diameter than Historical Colt , albeit more or less historical external frame dimensions .

Ride1949

Hunter
I think your frame size question has been answered, but I just wanted to compliment you on your top notch stamping and carving. Are you hand stitching? Nice looking rigs.

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
I think your frame size question has been answered, but I just wanted to compliment you on your top notch stamping and carving. Are you hand stitching? Nice looking rigs.
Thanks, and yes, I hand stitch. I'm just finishing up a Colt buntline special slim jim holster now and it was a little trickier than most holsters.

1651941069543.png

Last edited: