I'm In - P345

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DanAKAL

Bearcat
Just bought a new P345. This is my first Semi Auto and first legitimate CCW. I've got a safe full of Revolvers but no SA. I have been carrying an SP101 and man what a difference this P345 is! While the SP101 is a formable self defense weapon I always felt a little under gunned with the five shot .357. I compared the P345 to a S&W 1911 for nearly an hour before I bought the P345. The Smith was nice but I guess I'm just a Ruger guy. They had a lot of Springfield 1911's along with Kimber's and S&W. I didn't even consider the Springfield as I just can't bring myself to buy a handgun that has "Made In Brazil" stamped on it. Especially in todays economy when American Manufacturers need our support. It came down to the Smith and the P345 and I am happy with my purchase. Now it's off to break in the barrel and start working up loads!!

Dan

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Congratulations DanAKAL. I'm very excited for you. ;)

If I was to go the 45 route, I would have to look heavy at the P345 or P90 to decide which one I would choose. I think you have made a reliable choice, a good choice.

Good man working up your own loads. There is no other way to do it. The best load for your gun. Nice job.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
Congrats on the new gun DanAKAL.

I've owned more than a few 45 ACP pistols over the years, including two Ruger P90's and my current P345.

The P345 is by far my favorite. It does everything the P90 does, only in a thinner, more compact package with better ergonomics.

You have bought an excellent pistol. ENJOY. :D

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Glupy":2pzadj62 said:
If I was to go the 45 route, I would have to look heavy at the P345 or P90 to decide which one I would choose. I think you have made a reliable choice, a good choice.

So how did you guys choose between the P90 and the 345? I assume that the grips are different but the insides are the same.

Dave

Nope, the guts are different......................................

tdyoung58

Bearcat
Have a P345 that has been nothing but reliable for me... recently bought a Sig GSR 1911 C3

of course the Ruger still gets to come out and play every time I go to the range

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
DanAKAL ... Congrats on your new P345. All things considered (IMHO), its the best Ruger .45 semi-auto.

DanAKAL

Bearcat
Thanks for all of the well wishes. I chose the P345 because this is my CCW and it is lighter than the P90. The P90 would also be a good CCW but with all things being equal between the two the P345 just doesn't weigh as much. Some say it has better ergonomics and that may be but I don't find the P90 to be much different than the P345. I'm 6' 1" and 225 lb with very large hands so the ergonomics may be different for me than other people.

Lone Wolfe, I'm really glad to hear your side by side comparison. Just reenforces the fact that I made the best decision.

Dan

mzimmers

Bearcat
How's the trigger on your P345? I got one a few years ago, and was less than impressed with the feel of the trigger. I spent lots of relaxed time in the garage polishing just about every moving part in it, and now it's nice and smooth (though I still have trouble with the take-up, but that seems to be part of the territory with a SA/DA).

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Congrats on the P345 you made a good choice! Mine has been nothing but great, and for its size, it is very easy to carry! I carry mine in a Crossbreed Supertuck.

Enjoy your gun, and shoot safe.

RugerP345-1.jpg

pb

leejack

Single-Sixer
Congrats on your P345 DanAKAL! Very happy for you.

Buckshotshorty, after looking at your targets, I'm sure glad we're on the same side! :D

Lee

DanAKAL

Bearcat
I've had my P345 for almost a week now and I must say I am very pleased. It is easy to carry in a leather belt holster on my right hip. I have just a brown leather holster that goes on the outside of my belt with loops that let the grip tilt forward. Its easy to get too and draw as well as easy to get in and out of my truck and almost any other time I would be standing or seated.

I have made one range trip primarily just to break in the barrel. I'm not sure a full blown barrel break in was necessary with this short barrel but I break in all rifled barrels as though they would be used for 1000 yard Bench Rest competition. Paying attention to what my cleaning rod and jag were telling me the barrel is significantly more smooth now so it must mean something.

After break in I fired about 20 rounds down range. At 30 paces (25 - 27 yards) I was all over the place. If I had to make a guess I would say the gun is shooting low and to the left. However, I expect 95% of any inacuracy was the loose nut pulling the trigger. I'll spend more time at the range before I say anything more about acuracy.

All in all I am well pleased with my P345. It is doing everything that I wanted and then some. I'm looking forward to more range time and working up loads.

Dan

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
Also be aware that the recoil spring has two different diameters, with the larger diameter going toward the muzzle. It is tough to spot the size difference visually.

Should you mistakenly install this spring backwards, it will make a difference in accuracy and you will notice inconsistent grouping, with some rogue shots.

I brought my P345 back to the dealer for them to touch up some bead blasting on the stainless slide. They did this free of charge and blended it in perfectly. I told their gunsmith about the spring, and he just gives me one of those "looks".

Well, got the gun back and went to the range...noticed it was difficult to group reliably. Disassembled the pistol and sure enough the gunsmith had the spring in backwards. Corrected that and was spot on accurate and grouping as tight as it always had.

The easiest method I find to gauge the spring end diameters is to slip the spring over the end of a 45ACP bullet. you will notice which end slips farther over the bullet, hence your larger end.

Regards,

MD