I'm fitting a NM gripframe to an OM

Help Support Ruger Forum:

B.L. Hall

Single-Sixer
I have looked at Flatgate's photos and I'll be making that little brass piece to hold the spring...

unless one of you guys have one already made that I could git off ya.

do you? please...

well, if'n I do have to make one, anyone have any advice for me before I start?

thanks

I'd recommend not using steel as I did. There's a lotta fitting to be done, and softer material like brass or perhaps aluminum would be easier to work. In addition, there's one very small hole to be drilled clear thru the thing that has to line up with frame holes at both ends, so it's nice to be able to drill a straight, small hole. A drill press, which I don't have, would be a great help.

But in spite of my limitations, I did manage to get one made. Go for it.

:D

flatgate

Hawkeye
Aluminum or brass? For certain. Steel is very time consuming.....

I get the adaptor completely fabricated, complete with the trigger spring and plunger hole. Test fit the plunger assembly then remove it, set the adapter in your NM grip frame and adjust it's position so the "front" lines up with the trigger guard, you know, so it looks nice. Now, take your drill and, using the NM trigger spring pivot holes, drill a "divot" in both sides of the adaptor so you know "right" where the holes need to be. With a drill press it's easy but I just drill in from both sides a wee bit, being as careful as possible to get a straight hole. I finally get the holes to meet and then take a look. If alignment is good then pass the bit all the way through. If crooked then take your time and get some sort of a smaller diameter hole through. One can use a small finish nail as the pin if you have alignment trouble. A "good" job permits use of the NM trigger pivot pin....

The trigger spring will probably need to lose a few coils to prevent "coil bind".

:)

flatgate

FWIW I did not have to shorten my trigger plunger spring. This, of course, is a function of how deep you drill the plunger/spring hole and the exact final location of the adapter assembly.

I did use a small finish nail, as flatgate suggests, as I didn't achieve "perfect" alignment of the little hole. Careful trimming of the "head" of the nail allowed it to fit into the "countersink" recess in the frame so the pin doesn't fall clear thru. This is probably not absolutely necessary, however.

An unanticipated benefit of the entire operation is that this adapter positions the plunger a little higher on the trigger than "stock" location. This change in the geometry produces a noticable reduction in trigger "pull" without any adverse effects.

:D

flatgate

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1)":24wa7tcp said:
so the pin doesn't fall clear thru. This is probably not absolutely necessary, however.

Yes, the grip panels keep the pin secure....

I agree with your triggernometry postulate.... :D

flatgate

B.L. Hall

Single-Sixer
that is a great buy! I am buying (gotta wait till payday) a stainless gripframe.

I like the ballance of a heavier GF on my SA... I have a Brass on one, thought I'd try a stainless on the other. see how I like it.

I'll post pictures when I get it and put it on.

Yep, you can find OM XR3RED's for a decent price.

But just try to find an OM SBH "Dragoon" grip frame for under $100, or the original "brassies" as B.L. mentions. Big bucks!!

Makes 'gate's adapter look quite attractive, allowing NM parts to be used.

:)

flatgate

Hawkeye
85490282.jpg

Original 10" .44 Flattop "shooter". New Model Super Blackhawk grip frame with a rounded trigger guard. Homeboy Bisley hammer. Cheap, cheap, cheap.....

flatgate

to "alter your triggernometry postulate" drill the hole in a down ward angle ever so slightly,hell the factory has it off to the side on an angle anyway..... 8)

and yes, without a drill press, drill from BOTH sides , (the cross pin hole) ,EXACTLY as flatgate descibed it above.......... :wink:

I had a smoother trigger with the block. Drill the hole as Dan said. Alan Harton suggests after fitting to epoxy the block in place. I used Gorilla glue. Worked great. Just a dab.
You can make three of them using aluminun for the time it takes using steel.
Eric