I'll never trust a Trijicon product again.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ConradM

Blackhawk
The front sight on my 1 month old XDm went dim sometime in the last 2 days....I could get it replaced for free... But do I really want something that might not work when I need it most?

Going to get a Hi-Viz installed instead when they get some in stock. Always wanted to try out FO anyway. :D

Snake45

Hawkeye
ConradM":1k6yirpb said:
The front sight on my 1 month old XDm went dim sometime in the last 2 days....I could get it replaced for free... But do I really want something that might not work when I need it most?
Everybody, even Rolls-Royce, turns out a lemon once in a while. Maybe you got the one-in-ten-thousand bad one. I'd let them replace it once and see what happened. If it went bad a second time, then I'd go shopping for something else.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Snake45":3rl4f6kb said:
ConradM":3rl4f6kb said:
Everybody, even Rolls-Royce, turns out a lemon once in a while. Maybe you got the one-in-ten-thousand bad one. I'd let them replace it once and see what happened. If it went bad a second time, then I'd go shopping for something else.

Last night when I realized it, I hopped on the XD boards and wouldn't you know someone had just made a thread about trijicon front sights... Turns out that guy has had 3 different guns where the trijicon front sight went dim.

I'm already jaded. At least with a FO you don't have to worry about some element going out of whack. and you can visibly see that the tritium inside is the sight is muddled... Weird.

kscott

Single-Sixer
Yea, I agree with Snake, Trijicon is a very reputable company and I'd easily trust them to give it another shot. I'd love to have a set of Trijicons and they'd be the first company I'd look to if I were buying night sights.

kscott

Single-Sixer
ConradM":1d9nl16o said:
Last night when I realized it, I hopped on the XD boards and wouldn't you know someone had just made a thread about trijicon front sights... Turns out that guy has had 3 different guns where the trijicon front sight went dim.

I'm already jaded. At least with a FO you don't have to worry about some element going out of whack. and you can visibly see that the tritium inside is the sight is muddled... Weird.

hmm... that is weird. I wonder if a bad shipment go tout somehow. I find it very hard to believe that a guy had 3 of them that all went out. What did he say Trijicon said about it?

Snake45

Hawkeye
I had a tritium front bead--I think it was a Meprolight brand--put on a Mossberg 500 in 1989 (because I thought there would be night shotgun shooting at LFI-II--turns out it wasn't needed). Last time I checked it about two years ago, it was dim, but still visible.

I just now checked it again in the dark basement. Had to let my eyes adjust to the darkness for about 90 seconds, and then I could just barely see a hint of a glow at about a foot, or less.

So it's dead now. Still, nearly 20 years of service isn't bad. Only about $1.50 a year. I think I'll get a replacement. :wink:

ConradM

Blackhawk
Even if they did replace it with a part that worked for 12 years... I would still rather try an FO sight... This is my first gun with night sights and I quickly learned that they're pretty much useless when used with a weapon mounted light... So this is more like a stroke of luck. Because my wife would never let me replace it otherwise. :lol:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Just checked the brand-new Midway catalog and they list the same Meprolight shotgun bead I have on my gun for $27.99. I think that's about what I paid for it in 1989! :shock: Such a deal!

Yeah, I know this doesn't have much to do with your Trijicon pistol front sight.... :?

revhigh

Hawkeye
ConradM":3e864r39 said:
Even if they did replace it with a part that worked for 12 years... I would still rather try an FO sight... This is my first gun with night sights and I quickly learned that they're pretty much useless when used with a weapon mounted light... So this is more like a stroke of luck. Because my wife would never let me replace it otherwise. :lol:

Hey Conrad !! I'd say get the FO front sight, but ALSO get the Trijicon replaced ... that way you can either sell it or use it if you don;t like the FO. One thing I'll mention ... not sure how or who installed it, but you have to be careful installing the night sights ... they can't just be hammered in like normal sights. YOu really need a sight pusher to install is safely. They're pretty fragile.

JMO

REV

pisgah

Buckeye
Suit yourself, but I'd contact Trijicon and/or Springfield and see if they can replace it. Any mass -producer of anything will let a few bad ones get out once in a while, and fiber-optic sights are notoriously fragile in comparison. I might risk a fiber-optic on a hunting gun, but never on a self-defense piece -- but again, to each his own...

ConradM

Blackhawk
The night sights were factory.

As far as FO not being night sights... I was under the impression that FO needs minimal light to be effective. + I keep a light mounted on my gun at night and I carry a flashlight. Never will I try to engage a target in complete darkness without some kind of light. So whether or not FO's glow is moot. They just have to be able to use the light off of my flashlights...

Rev, I probably will contact Springfield or Trijicon to see if they'll just ship me a new one. But I'm not sending them my slide. :lol:

ConradM

Blackhawk
pisgah":3vax5qgt said:
Suit yourself, but I'd contact Trijicon and/or Springfield and see if they can replace it. Any mass -producer of anything will let a few bad ones get out once in a while, and fiber-optic sights are notoriously fragile in comparison. I might risk a fiber-optic on a hunting gun, but never on a self-defense piece -- but again, to each his own...

Aren't HiViz sights covered in a resin overmold? Is that stuff not durable? Even still, I can't imagine a situation where I would be banging my front sight into something...

45flattop

Single-Sixer
Tritium sights from whatever maker, do have a finite shelf life, granted
that it shortens that life once they're out of a box but if that dealer got
one in that was near its usable lifespan then had it on the shelf in the
open any time at all, that could well explain the short life span you've
experienced. I've seen advertisements in the Brownell catalog for various
glow in the dark sights from several makers and as best i can recall,
they usually have around a 2 yr lifespan before new tritium tubes are
needed.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
It's more like 10-12 years, at least that is the claim. Meprolights (Tru-Dots) have a better rep as far as holding up to rough handling. I have both on many of my guns.

writwing

Single-Sixer
All these anti-Trijicon postings after the publicity about them putting Christian passages on their scopes. Interesting.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
writwing":2kuy8nu7 said:
All these anti-Trijicon postings after the publicity about them putting Christian passages on their scopes. Interesting.

writwing, I don't think it has any thing to do with religion it's more of a customer complaint. The glass tubes on Trijicons are probably less protected than Meprolights. JMO

Mike J

Hunter
Conrad, I would suggest doing some research before you go fiber optic. I have seen a lot of posts about their being fragile.
I have had Meprolights on my Ruger & my XD for a couple of years they are bright. I guess time will tell how long they last.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Mike J":1h84nmms said:
Conrad, I would suggest doing some research before you go fiber optic. I have seen a lot of posts about their being fragile.
I have had Meprolights on my Ruger & my XD for a couple of years they are bright. I guess time will tell how long they last.

Supposedly the HiViz sights are wrapped in a resin mold type deal... Maybe they're a little tougher?

Mike J

Hunter
I think the ones I was seeing posted about were truglo TFO's. A lot of people really liked them too though.