I'll man up...today I was a bonehead

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ClemBert

Bearcat
Okay...so I'll man up and confess I was an absolute bonehead today. I took my new girlfriend and my Ruger Single Six out to my property today to give her a lesson in shooting a handgun. I figured the Single Six was a good tool to start her out with. This particular firearm is relatively new. It is a 5.5" stainless convertible with 22LR and 22 Win Magnum cylinder.

So I'm teaching the girlfriend firearm safety among other things before I proceed to load up the Single Six with six rounds of 22LR. I tell her I'll shoot it first to show her the mechanics of firing the Single Six. I squeeze off five rounds and my aim isn't too particularly impressive on the first five shots. The last round is fired but I notice it made a weird sound kind of like it was a half loaded reject factory round. Anyhow, I proceed to show her how to eject the spent cases. I get the first five cases out relatively easy then find the last spent case impossible to get out. I end up removing the cylinder from the frame and taking a small screwdriver and a rubber mallet to knock out the last spent brass casing. Upon inspection I see the problem. The brass case was split the entire length. I tell her, that's weird...I've never had a problem like this with a 22LR round being stuck much less seeing a split case.

It dawns on me what the problem is. In my left hand I am holding a 22 Winchester Magnum cylinder not the 22LR cylinder. I had to explain to her what the problem was and hoped she didn't think I was a complete idiot but rather pleaded partial and temporary insanity. So much for the first lesson to the girlfriend about firearms....LOL! Anyhoo, I had never even fired this Single Six with the Winchester Magnum cylinder since I've never bought Magnum rounds.

I forgot that several weeks ago I had been taking pictures of all my firearms for insurance purposes. I had put the Magnum cylinder in the frame just to take a picture but failed to put the 22LR cylinder back in before putting it into the gun safe. I just assumed this morning that the Single Six was ready to go since the 22LR cylinder was the only cylinder I had ever used in it. This bonehead will never make that mistake again.

welder

Buckeye
hittman":ooabuqcj said:
Oops......easy mistake to make.

Nothing harmed but your pride and that'll mend. Actually, that's a great lesson for a newbie shooter. Those kinda mistakes can happen to even the most experienced shooters.

What Hittman said.

Cholo

Staff member
That's never happened to me, but I knew a guy who took his 9 year old boy deer scouting way back when and decided to do some plinking in a puddle on the dirt road with a Super Single Six. I, I mean he, couldn't hit the 18" puddle from 50 yards. .22lr's in a mag cylinder...

Still had some fun with my, I mean his, S&W Model 60-4 .38. Saved the day... :wink:

pawncop

Blackhawk
Glad no one was hurt. It is so easy to slip up on the many details in shooting. Good lesson, when only pride is bruised.

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
I don't have any convertible revolvers, but it is certainly one more thing to add to your safety list if you do and something I will bare in mind when I make my next purchase which will likely include a 22lr 22 mag option.

Glad no damage was done and no one got hurt and thanks for being honest enough to own up to your error, your humility could save many others from making the same mistake.

Knuckles

Buckeye
At least you were not trying to pound the 22mags into the 22LR cyl' with a tool. :lol:

rugerbh73

Bearcat
You should tell her that you were distracted by her beauty. Throw in something about how the sunlight made her hair shine, almost like a halo was hovering over her. In the future, when she starts outshooting you, she'll look back on her first handgun lesson and want to kiss you instead of teasing you about your mistake.

TreeDoc

Bearcat
Kinda reminds me of time I gave a lecture on chainsaw safety, which concluded abruptly with an ambulance ride to the hospital. :shock:

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
You should have been focusing more on the shooters and less on the hooters.

It's disturbing how much I sound like my dad right now. :shock:

scottaschultz

Bearcat
Jayhawkhuntclub":2phnqjw1 said:

Actually it is because of my father that I got into guns in the first place. Back in high school when I was getting ready for a date he would always say, "Son, make sure you have protection!"

Scott

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
scottaschultz":3kt1fzwi said:
Jayhawkhuntclub":3kt1fzwi said:

Actually it is because of my father that I got into guns in the first place. Back in high school when I was getting ready for a date he would always say, "Son, make sure you have protection!"

Scott

None of my dad's jokes are that subtle.

Latest posts