If you know P95DC very well please answer decocker question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

froggy47

Bearcat
Specific question on the decocker. When the pistol is mag in hammer down firing pin relaxed, is it normal to have about 3/8 inch loose play in the movement of the decocker(s)? All other conditions there is tension on the decocker(s) so they don't move unless YOU press them to move. Please don't guess as that makes the thread pretty useless. Thanks.

Froggy

:)

Just took mine out of the safe to see. Yes, magazine inserted and hammer down there is about 3/8" play in the movement of the decocker lever. Don't know if I would call it "loose" but it's not as "tight" as when the hammer is back. Hope this helps.

froggy47

Bearcat
That does help, 100%, seems it's normal & I just could not remember as I had not shot it in a while. Thanks a lot & thanks for your service. :)

froggy47

Bearcat
Thanks Mobuck, by loose play I would describe better as there is no resistance (by spring or other means). It just moves easily with finger pressure (like just the tip of your little finger). It's not like it has wear & tear looseness. That about what yours has? Thanks.

roylt

Hunter
I watched the reassembly vid and wonder if the decock spring is installed correctly or possibly bend or something. The decocker handles should be tight and not floppy at all. It has been some time since I tinkered with the P-guns but from my memory they should not droop like that.

Also seems to me that there is two spots on the decocker that the spring can fit in and one is right while the other is wrong. My memory isn't what it once was so not explaining this very well but I suggest you look at the decock spring closely.

I also should say I doubt it will cause any function issue the way it is.

froggy47

Bearcat
Hi roylt, thanks, I triple checked and the "leaf spring" is correct, IMO it would hard to finish assembly it it were upside down, but I did not try. If you still have a decocker/Ruger would you get it out, set it to condition as stated in first post and see if it has any movement that is not under spring tension. If you watch the video again I make a point of the right/wrong way to put the spring in. All the rest of the guys agree there is a point of movement under my specified condition, that it's not tensioned. I have fired it 100+ times since and decocked dozens of times & zero issue, so I am happy this is correct. Hope this thread helps others.

Froggy

Mine in the condition of the hammer down after decocking, there is movement but it is not movement that is loose and floppy, you can feel that it is under tension, it is NOT little finger loose. If you cock the hammer, the tension is increased and you can tell the difference in the feel.

I just rechecked the movement. At rest, decocked, when you press down the the decock lever, it moves about 1/8" then stops. To go further you would have to exert a lot more pressure. When the hammer is cocked, the lever does not move but maybe 1/32" and it does not move that amount easily, it's stiffer than when the hammer is decocked.

froggy47

Bearcat
Thanks RoninPA, I am not a gunsmith, however I think for this issue which I started, we are at a point where the differences we all feel are getting subjective, based on how strong/sensitive ones finger/grip is, maybe the lube used or how long since lubed/fired and for sure how stiff/old each individual "leaf spring" is. Even how each of us defines loose & resistance. It's clear to me there are some differences in the pressure/resistance/feel of the decocker thru it's complete travel (as it's supposed to be) and based on firearm "condition" per Cooper.

Cooper favored the Colt M1911 pistol and its variants. There are several conditions of readiness in which such a weapon can be carried. Cooper promulgated most of the following terms:

Condition 4: Chamber empty, no magazine in the gun, hammer down, safety on.
Condition 3: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down, safety on.
Condition 2: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down, safety on.
Condition 1: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on. Also referred to as "cocked and locked."
Condition 0: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off.
Condition 0 is considered "ready to fire"; as a result, there is a risk of accidental or negligent discharge carrying in Condition 0.

Also happy that mine is good to go.
Any more specifics I'll be happy to chime in, love a good firearm discussion, but for mine, I'm OK. All this hope it helps other guys with p95dc & variants.

roylt

Hunter
It has been some time for me but the "leaf" spring can not be in upside down. But the small longer end that engages the decock lever can be pocked in there on top of or under the small rod that is in the lever. I think it will still function but be floppy if not under the rod as it should be.

Hard to tell without a more specific picture but if you are satisfied and the pistol is safe to operate that is what matters.

Keep the P-guns alive!!