If speed is 1150 from 6 inch barrel , how much from 7.5 ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cbnutt

Single-Sixer
I dont reload , my boss at work reloaded me some 41 Magnums he said are supposed to do 1150 from a 6 in . barrel , what would they be doing from a 7.5 ? Thanks .

DGW1949

Hunter
The answer to that involves so many variables that simply put...aside from testing them out of your own gun, there ain't no answer.

DGW

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
The answer to that involves so many variables that simply put...aside from testing them out of your own gun, there ain't no answer.

DGW

Yep. All you get otherwise is an estimate that is often off by a hundred FPS or more depending on how involved the marketing dept. is. :wink:

Btw, 1150 is actually pretty slow for a .41mag. Not much more than a cowboy load.

Snake45

Hawkeye
GunnyGene said:
DGW1949 said:

DGW

Yep. All you get otherwise is an estimate that is often off by a hundred FPS or more depending on how involved the marketing dept. is. :wink:

Btw, 1150 is actually pretty slow for a .41mag. Not much more than a cowboy load.
Quoted for truth. Every gun and ammo combination is a law unto itself. There's no way to know without chronoing that EXACT combination.

sixshot

Buckeye
Normally, if there's such a thing as normal in reloading, we're talking 30-35 fps per inch, but don't bet the bank on it because there are "fast" barrels & there are "slow" barrels.

Dick

427mach1

Blackhawk
My 5.5" 41 mag Redhawk actually chronographs slightly faster than my 6.5" 41 mag Blackhawk using the exact same loads....

cbnutt

Single-Sixer
if the speed is pretty close to right , would 1150 with a good hollow point be ok for deer hunting , or should I have him up the power a little ?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
cbnutt said:
if the speed is pretty close to right , would 1150 with a good hollow point be ok for deer hunting , or should I have him up the power a little ?

Depends on the range, the bullet design & weight (HP is not always a good choice), how good of a shot you are, and how tough the deer is.

Disregarding your proficiency, and how tough the deer is, you can run the numbers here to get a rough idea of how much energy is deposited on the target, bullet drop, etc. at various ranges. For a standard Fed 210grn hp, the BC is approx .2 . Hornady, Underwood, Buffalo Bore, and others offer better bullets in .41mag of course, so you need to do some comparisons.

https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/ballistic-calculators/#!/

I shoot Underwood 210grn XTP for example. 6.5" NMBH.

MV is 1560 (claimed but close)BC is .182. At 50yds: Velocity is 1395fps, Energy is 908ftlbs. Bullet drop is negligible @50yds, but is about 3.5" @100yds. All of this is approximate of course. So theoretically there is enough energy to do the job with this bullet out to about 100yds (730ftlbs) - IF I hit the vitals, which at my age ain't likely. :)

contender

Ruger Guru
cbnutt,,, by the responses here,, you can see that there are a lot of variables involved. First,,, It sounds like your boss loaded some ammo,,, for you,,,, using published data from a manual. But,,, as an experienced reloader,,, I can say that each & every firearm is different, and published data is almost never "exact."
And,,, having someone else load your ammo,,, well,,,, most of us prefer to not do that. In fact,,, technically,,, if your boss loaded the ammo, & if you gave him any money,, even if just for the cost of the components,,, it could be classified as a commercial loading,,, by the ATF. A license is required to do that. (I know, I know,,, a lot of folks do it.)
Next,,, your desires to use the load for hunting deer. As a long time deer hunter with a handgun, I can say I agree with the above info about the variables involved here.
But,, in general,,, here are some things to consider.
A jacketed HP bullet isn't the best all around bullet choice.
Only your gun can determine what is accurate in it. That requires a lot of testing.
Accuracy first,,, as you have to hit the target before the bullet can do it's work.
In the 41 magnum,,, if jacketed bullets are used,, I'd suggest a reputable brand, in a flat soft nose design. Use factory ammo if you do not reload personally.
A better idea would be for you to get your boss to teach you how to reload yourself. In fact, you buy a manual,,, study it, and then select some components suggested by the manual as being accurate. If possible,,, buy 2-3 or more manuals. STUDY your caliber info. You will see a pattern of info on what they found to be accurate.
And if saving money to allow you to shoot more is why you wish to use reloads,,, then by all means,, learn to reload yourself. Let your boss be your mentor.
Lastly,,, I have found that in general,,,, in the 41, 44, 45 & most big bores like that, a well made, cast bullet,, pushed in the 1000-1200 fps velocity will take deer anywhere on this continent.

And you will get a lot more satisfaction if you do the loading yourself.

All I'll add is PRACTICE a lot & be willing to pass on a shot that you do not know you can make.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
If I was going deer hunting with a 41 magnum I would buy a box of ammo something like these.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/386913/federal-power-shok-ammunition-41-remington-magnum-210-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20

mikld

Blackhawk
FWIW; If I were to hunt deer with a 41 Magnum I'd use a lead semi-wadcutter or a lead round nose flat point (like Ranch Dog's bullets) around 200 gr., running a minimum of 1,100 fps. I would limit my range to how far away I could keep a cylinder full inside a 4" circle.

I too am of the "don't shoot anyone's reloads" camp. It could ruin a good relationship...