If Ruger Kept Only One Style Frame...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1ruger

Single-Sixer
Just for fun...
If Ruger was to keep only one style frame between the Blackhawk or the Vaquero which do you prefer they keep? I guess the real question is do you prefer fixed sight of adjustable sight single action revolver from Ruger?

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The Blackhawk with its adjustable sights is far and away the best choice in my opinion. Adjustable sights not only allow precision adjustments, but a much better sight picture also.

Bob Wright

Rclark

Hunter
Adjustable sights over fixed. More versatile. That said, I do like my fixed sighted revolvers too. In fact the last few outings the .45 Colt New Vaquero has been the go to gun... so I want both styles of sights :) . Both have there place.

The frames are are going to depend on the cartridge being used, whether small, medium, or the large frame, so not sure how that enters this discussion.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
As Rclark posted, you can't get every cartridge chambering in the large or medium Blackhawk frames or in the New Vaquero medium frame.

And although you can get the 45 Colt in any of the three different frames, you can only shoot the level 3, 45 Colt in one of the frames.

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
This is a tough one as I love the Vaquero for Cowboy Action Shooting and just plain fun shooting.

That said, can I vote for the three screw large frame?

If a revolver shoots to point of aim, how often do you adjust the sights? I agree with Bob, they are easier to see (or view.) However, my New Model Vaauero is a joy to shoot. The front blade is thin and it shoots where I point it. Plus I like the size better. It's not heavy and seems more rounded, not as "squared off" as the Blackhawk.

I'd love to have the New Vaquero with the Bisley frame in 357.

And I have big hands.

gak

Buckeye
Kevin said:
If a revolver shoots to point of aim, how often do you adjust the sights? I agree with Bob, they are easier to see (or view.) However, my New Model Vaauero is a joy to shoot. The front blade is thin and it shoots where I point it. Plus I like the size better. It's not heavy and seems more rounded, not as "squared off" as the Blackhawk.

I'd love to have the New Vaquero with the Bisley frame in 357.

And I have big hands.

I'll be the other odd man out here and agree. For my predominately plinking, trail, camp and admiring (the other 90% of the time) purposes, I prefer the fixed sight for its smooth lines - for looking or handling/holstering....and at the distances I shoot and most of these guns excel (I do little "serious" handgun hunting) the sights are adequate. I will say I would find a (so far hypothetical) midframe in the Blackhawk topstrap/sight configuration--vs the more "exposed" flattop--as the ideal "one gun" or "one frame" set up for us mid bore/mid power fans .32-20, .38/.357, .38-40, .40/10mm, .41M, .44Sp, .44-40...Ruger, maybe someday will see the light on this -- and, my bet, sell a bundle of.