If I had to decide on ONE Ruger Revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rex Driver

Bearcat
Guys, I was wondering, if you had to get rid of all of your revolvers except for one to rely on for sport and self defense, what would it be?

Caliber, model, barrel length and why.

After having shot many revolvers to include most of the Rugers and many Smiths, I would have to say that I would most likely settle on the 4" GP 100. I believe this gun to be tank strong, versital and a blast to shoot. It also can be loaded for great home defense.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Tough call, but it would probably be the 5.5" Redhawk in 45 Colt. Absolutely adequate for any sporting use. Yeah, it would be a monster for a CCW, but would surely make an impressive statement if revealed out of necessity!

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
I have many Smiths and Rugers too. I believe if I had to get rid of them all but one I would keep my Ruger Police Service Six 4 inch blued. I have a GP100 and many Smiths like 686, 28, 66 and a model 10 but my Service Six is heavy enough to shoot about any 357 round but light enough and balanced enough to be carried. The gun is like my Smith model 10. Fixed sights simple. Again, everything you need and nothing you don't need. Here is my best all around gun.
Thanks,
roaddog28
RugerServiceSix.jpg

Hugh

Buckeye
My 4" Ruger Security Six in .357 Magnum. It can take down all but the largest/meanest animals in the lower 48 and is easily concealed. For me that means it can do it all.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Same as my first handgun. GP-100 - 357mag. - 4" - SS. Gee, what a surprise. :D :D

Come'on give me a second choice? Ba, Ba, Bisley 357mag. 7.5 Blue. Thanks. :D :D

...Jimbo

Although I'd have to agree with Flatgate that the Freedom Arms guns are mighty nice, I'd stick with the "Ruger only" nature of the original question and go with an OM .45 Blackhawk, likely with a 7-1/2" barrel. I like the 4-5/8" guns, but the question was for only one . . . darn it.

:mrgreen:

Edited to add: If Ruger made a blue 4" Redhawk chambered in .45 Colt, that would make my decision-making much more difficult.

;)

maxpress

Buckeye
4 5/8 blackhawk convertable in 45acp/45colt. ammo is getting harder to find so i want to have a multi claiber gun. the acp would be great for house and intown SD and stout .45colt would work in the woods.

yeah i know its a single but i dont feel undergunned with one.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
KurtC":1mutlb3n said:
I've already trimmed down to just one. A .45 Colt Redhawk with a .454 cylinder :)

Redhawk002.jpg

KurtC,
Interesting gun. Is that cylinder from a SRH? Who did the work? If I'm not being too nosy, ballpark cost?
EarlFH

KurtC

Single-Sixer
Interesting gun. Is that cylinder from a SRH? Who did the work? If I'm not being too nosy, ballpark cost?
EarlFH

It is a SRH cylinder. I fitted it to a standard 4" Redhawk, then sent if off to Hamilton Bowen for the round butt conversion, the interchangeable sights and the bead blast. His fees are posted on his web site. The .454 cylinder, is of course, priceless. You have to find a take-off from a SRH conversion, as they are not available from the factory.

I will probably send the original cylinder off for a moon clip conversion, so I can fire the .45 acp and .45 WinMag as well.

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
Several years ago I came up with a "forum game" that allowed everyone to answer that question. Almost everyone who participated admiitted to being surprised at what the believed at the start of the "game" and what they learned at the end. (The game is played over several days.)

Anyway...

If indeed I had to choose one and only one handgun for all purposes from now "until", my choice would be.....

Ruger Bilsey Vaquero in 44 magnum with the 4 5/8" barrel.

FWIW I'd be every bit as happy with the same piece in 45 Colt...

further, I have one of each of those in my safe (jis' in case :wink: )

sebtool

Blackhawk
contender":10ymxzm3 said:
I refuse to pick only one.

What he said! Consider me a conscientious objector! :twisted:

That being said, and realizing that you were only talking about center fire guns, I'd have to say my blued, 4", GP100, just because 41 mag ammo can be such a p.i.t.a.

And that would be OK, because I'd still have my OM single six for heavy work.... and I'm sure no-one would notice my SP101, or my .44 Bulldog, as they'd be concealed :wink:

I don't know or care how, I'd be the cheatin'est handgun owner in (TBD) :shock: At least until I could get ahold of the bastid that keeps tryin' to make these stinkin' rules! :evil:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Thread title says Ruger (I don't own any Ruger revolvers), but the OPs question doesn't limit selection to Ruger, so:

Either my 6.5" Smith 29, or this one, 3" Smith 66. Why? It will do anything any 4" .357 will do (just not as long with heavy loads), and it will do it in a compact, efficient package that fits my hand really well.

M66a.jpg

dougader

Hunter
A GP44 in the Bowen style with a 4 inch barrel and chambered for 454, 475 L, 480 Ruger or 500L.

BowenGP44500Linebaugh.jpg