Idaho Survival Kit

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
I saw my Mailman red faced and sweaty as he lugged the large Priority Mail Box in his arms. I heard him drop it on my porch with a heave and thud as he rang the door bell and walked back to his jeep. I wasn't expecting any packages and was curious as to what was in the box. As I picked the box up and placed it on my countertop, I saw it was from good friend Dick "sixshot" Thompson. What the heck did he send me? It was too small a box for callshot to fit in for a cheap trip back east. Imagine my surprise when I opened the box and saw it over flowing with my Idaho Winter Survival Kit! Spuds! Big ones! Nothing like fresh Idaho taters! These will be put to good use. Mostly in the form of "sixshot" dutch oven taters that Dick taught me how to make years ago.

It's going to be a nice winter eating these low calorie spuds thinking of my Idaho friends!

Hugh

Buckeye
In a skillet (or Dutch oven), stovetop or fire medium heat:

One cut up large Idaho potato
Three or four cut up carrots
One or two quartered yellow onions
One can cream of mushroom soup
One packet Lipton onion soup mix
One cut up turnip (or another potato)
Half cup water
Tablespoon salt (or not)

Cover the skillet and cook for one-half hour, give it a stir every ten minutes or so.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Dang; I just went and looked on my front porch; but I guess the Mailman hasn't been through yet; mine have not arrived!
Slice some thin for a quick, hot drop in some oil; hit with some salt, and throw that store bought bag of chips in the trash.

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
bearskinner, you are right! I made a few baked spuds the other night and they were awesome! The skin got real crispy and the inside flakey as powder snow. I guess fresh taters just don't have the starch as the older store bought ones.

callshot

Blackhawk
To grow Idaho Famous Potatoes you need to have hot days with cool nights and volcanic ash in the soil. They just tast different if grown in those conditions and of course they have to be grown in Idaho. I have seen them on the menu in the Edenrock Hotel restaurant in Durban, South Africa in 1966 at Rand 10.00 each. The farmers also plant the rows in the direction that they get the same amount of sunshine all day long and not to be in the shade of other plants. Just some of my worthless information. Steve :D