I would like to see Ruger or one of the Ruger Clone makers come out with a interchangeable barrel system for MK series pistols.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I would like to see Ruger or one of the Ruger clone makers come out with a interchangeable barrel system like Dan Wessons have for MK series pistols. Sure you can buy a upper receiver with a different barrel, but then you have the ATF paperwork and the extended time to get it. It would be so nice to go to your local gunshop to get one or buy one online. I know it could be done. I have several ideas myself, but I am not a machinest and nor do I have the money to pay one to create my ideas. I am still new here and I am sure somebody has done it before. Maybe a barrel that threads into the receiver, bottoms out to properly index it and then locked with a set screw. Maybe a setup like a 10/22 uses ? Yes I know Ruger already threads the barrels into the receiver and torques them in place. They were not ment to be removed, but as we all know it's been done many, many times. Years ago I bought new take off barrels from Clark Custom Guns and Volquartsen. I also bought the tools from Brownell's to property work on Ruger Mk. series pistols. I have a 1976 Liberty pistol, a MK.2 grip frame and a new 6 inch tapered barrel that need to be joined.

CHEVYINLINE6.

Last edited:

eveled

Hawkeye
Flip side - they are buying MK's in droves why cut sales?
I agree not profitable for Ruger, but a third party might be able to make it work.

You could get barrels that Ruger doesn't offer.

Ruger doesn't seem to want to make a lot of different MKIV's.

They made lots of different MKII's

hittman

Staff member
Well, there's 8 different variations of the MKIV on Ruger's web site now. No idea if there have been others or if more are to come.

However, it's been a bit of an unusual time in America for manufacturers these past 2 or 3 years. Might be that unforeseen issues with employees, raw materials, deliveries and/or shut-downs had some effect. Or maybe not.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I find it interesting that you can find MKIV uppers for cheap-real cheap. But a MKIV lower- the non-serialized part- costs almost as much as a complete gun.
The uppers are a great deal if your FFL doesn't charge you a lot of money to do the transfer. I guess if more gun parts makers started making more lowers, the price would come down. Besides Ruger as far as I know, only Volquartsen and Tandemkross are the only others making lowers. I recently bought a MK.2 lower off of Numrich Arms and had to pay $141.00 plus tax and was happy to pay that. At the same time there was two Mk lowers on eBay that sold very quickly for much more. Years ago I paid less than $141.00 for complete MK. pistols. Years ago AMT made whole pistols and I believe sold uppers seperate, but Ruger sued them to stop making them.

CHEVYINLINE6.

I have found affordable MKII lowers but the MKIV lower seems to be gold plated. My FFL charges $25 for the check, reasonable in my book. I bought a second threaded upper complete with bolt, original box and paperwork from Volquartsen for less than I would have paid to have mine threaded.

Right now they're selling 10 uppers, no bolts or boxes, for $150.

That's why I went with a S&W 22A. I have multiple barrels set up for different classes. Scoped, Red dot custom irons etc. I've found that a shared lower grip/FCG makes training easier. I have one grip and trigger for stock through unlimited class. Not to mention the ambi mag release should almost be universally applied

Attachments

• 22a Dotted.jpg
    22a Dotted.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 67

contender

Ruger Guru
High Standard used to make a .22 with interchangeable barrels. But they haven't been in business in a long time,, except for a brief period when a different group tried to revive them.
Older HS pistols are very well made & when you find one with a spare barrel or two, or the balance weights,, they aren't cheap. Their design was very different than the Ruger design,, so for Ruger to try & duplicate that wouldn't be cost feasible.

Duplicating the Dan Wesson design would be silly easy. A feeler gauge is all that's needed. All you need is a lathe and any custom barrel blanks can be easily adapted!!!

Attachments

• IMAG0421.jpg
    IMAG0421.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Dan Wesson.jpg
    Dan Wesson.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 57
Years ago AMT made the Lightening pistol. A MK clone. You could buy them with several barrels. As I recall AMT serialized the lower not the upper like Ruger does. That way you could buy uppers any time you wanted without paperwork. Why Ruger never made the change to serializing the lower is beyond me. Any time they change MK's it would have been simple enough. Just make the new upper and lower incompatible with eariler MK's. No great feat needed to do that.

contender

Ruger Guru
"Alan Aronstein would be sad to hear you say this. :( "

Ok, I'm confused.
I haven't kept up with High Standard in a long time. I do not know who Alan Aronstein is, or what that means. Please educate me.
Thanks.