I would like to know why Ruger reduced the cylinder capacity of the .480

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RRM

Single-Sixer
Dunno. I have two and they both are six shooters.

I know the single action Bisley is 5.

RRM

Single-Sixer
I understand there was a run of SRH with 5 shot cylinders at one time. Supposedly there were some concerns over cylinder wall thickness. I think that was then dismissed and they went back to 6. I've heard some say they want the 5 shot for collector purposes, as not a lot produced.

It may be that the 5 shot cylinder coincided with the fairly massive SAAMI spec increase for chamber pressure. When the cartridge first came out the spec was in the .44 mag range. It was increased far over that later. I know that caused Dave Clements to cease converting Marlin 1895s to 480 Ruger.

On the SBH I thought it was just to keep the cylinder in proportion to the frame.
Sure wish they'd make another run of the SBH Bisleys.

Last edited:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
My initial thought is to keep things on the safe side. With too many that think "oh, it's a Ruger, I can super load this" mentality and the sue-happy society we live in where nothing is the individual's fault, it could very well have been a cya thing due to that ignornace. 5 or 6...never a big deal to me.

RRM

Single-Sixer
My initial thought is to keep things on the safe side. With too many that think "oh, it's a Ruger, I can super load this" mentality and the sue-happy society we live in where nothing is the individual's fault, it could very well have been a cya thing due to that ignornace. 5 or 6...never a big deal to me.

The chamber pressure change took it from 44 mag range into 475 Linebaugh territory (it is a "baby" 'baugh, after all). I'd imagine some liability issues went into it until it was realized the cylinder was plenty strong. I'm not saying you can't blow up a SRH cylinder, but you'd have to work at it. It'll handle the Casull too so you know it's stout.

Last edited:

Latest posts