I went to the bank yesterday

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Actually both my father and mother were substitutes for a while and when school was not in session I would ride the route with them.... I wonder how many rules that broke? This was a truly rural route all through the county and actually quite fun.... often folks would meet you out at their mail box and buy stamps or even a money order and put in in the mail.

My Granddad was the first rural mail carrier in this community. Before that folks just picked up mail at the train depot or the general store. In the 1950's Dad was the Postmaster, Grandad was a rural carrier, and 2 of my Uncles were the substitute carriers--sort of a family affair. Between 1916 and 2009 there was only a short period that one of our 3 generations was not working in an area Post Office.
I rode many trips around the route in the jump seat of Grandad's old Model A Ford.

Bear Paw Jack said:
.....Big government has proposed rule that would require banks, credit unions and other cash transaction accounts to report any transaction of $600 in a year to the IRS.
Since I have accounts in two locations (a credit union and a bank) I could keep someone busy, wondering what I was up to, by transferring $601.00 from one to the other once each month. I don't see that proposal making much headway.

Ron IL

Bearcat
Our banks don't want change in rolls. They have to break them open and dump them into a counting machine. Now I just hand them a bag. If you are a customer there is no charge. I know if you buy a car and use some cash over a certain amount they have to fill out a special form for the government.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Needed a document notarized. Went to credit union. Young lady needed IDs and TWO witnesses as to our ID???

A bit later I went to a teller, gave her my acct # and withdrew 2 grand w/ NO ID???

I made sure that both the teller and notary 'clerk' knew I thought that was a little odd.

langenc

Single-Sixer
We use the local credit union.

Recently we had to have a document notarized. I needed to provide ID AND 2 witnesses that would say we are who we say we are!!!

After the document was notarized I stepped out of an office to a tellers window and withdrew $2500. and no questions asked--NO ID requested!! amazing.

toysoldier

Hunter
vito said:
Here in anti-gun Illinois it is perfectly legal for me to carry in a bank, unless the bank itself has decided to ban guns. I rarely go to the bank, but likely will be going today to pick up coin rolls. I have a container full to the brim, and have been told that neither of the banks I deal with will take unrolled coins. I refuse to pay 11% at the coin machine in my supermarket. But when I go to the bank I will be armed in case a thief tries to steal the paper rolls before I get home to use them.

The last time I took coin rolls to the bank, they were all broken open and the coins dumped into an automatic sorter.

When I worked for a bank we had a gun store s a customer. The owners brother ha some disabilities. One day he sent him to the bank with a deposit but he decided he needed a gun. At the time the bank had locked doors and we buzzed in customers. He shows up with a gun in his belt banging at the door. The police once they understood the situation we quite understanding.

Sapo

Single-Sixer
I ended up rolling over $250 worth of coins and bringing them back to my bank for a deposit. Bank services are not what they used to be.
Agree about services. Went to the bank to place a POD on an account. The bank person told us we could do that from our phone and proceeded to explain how. So today I started the process of changing banks.

Paul B

Hunter
I saw an article yesterday where the government is making large changes in the way we do banking. I didn't have time to read the whole thing but it don't look good. Seems to me, they figure your money is now theirs and not yours. Supposedly the the change will occur on Jan 1,2024. Brings to mind a popular song from WW2. "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition."
Paul B.

A friend was telling me about his doctor, who went to his credit union, to withdraw $100,000, and he had much more than that in the credit union. It took them over 2 weeks to get his money. Not sure what took so long or the reason he gave them for needing the money. Although I think it's a good practice to keep a substantial amount of (just in case) cash, but is it legal to have that much cash?

Last edited:

RSIno1

Hunter

Attachments

• armed.jpg
    armed.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 26