I went shooting this morning!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
i was able to catch up on my chores enough that I felt it would be alright to go shooting this morning. Due to Nita's illness and death, I had been unable to shoot since early February of this year. It has indeed been a very tough time for me.

I had some .45 Colt Cowboy Action loads and some .44 Special PMC ammunition that my grandson had bought and given to me while he was here for Nita's funeral. So I broke out a Blackhawk in .45 Colt and my Flat Top .44 Special and went to an indoor range.

I was very badly out of form so kept my target at ten yards. The .44 Special PMC stuff was loaded with 180 gr. JHPs. My .44 is sighted for fifteen yards with 240 gr. SWC so this load just barely cut black at six o'clock, some even dropping into the white below the bull. But my 240 gr. SWC loads were right on.

Switching to the .45, also loaded with very light, 200 gr. RNFP cowboy action loads it was only about 1/2" below center at ten yards. These are very, very mild loads and really very pleasant to shoot. I tired rather quickly, and ended up only firing a toootal of about 125 rounds, fifty .45 and 75 .44 Special.

My handloaded .44s were built around Winchester 244 powder, and I've been, or was, using this powder lately in place of Winchester 231 or Hodgdon's HP-38.

It sure felt good to get few rounds down range today, though I did cut my session short.

Bob Wright

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Good for you Bob happy you got out for a little enjoyment you skills will improve practice practice it will get better.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have often found that doing a bit of shooting therapeutic to my well being. Stress, frustration, anger, sadness or whatever seems to fade into a much calmer state of mind when I go shooting just for myself & fun.

I'm glad you finally got time to burn some powder.

Glad to hear that you were able to get out and do some shooting. I have read that you have had a difficult year and have hoped that you could get some relief by doing some shooting. I know from personal experience that shooting helps me get thru stressful times.
Prayers

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
Good to hear you got some range time in. It's great therapy. I enjoy getting out too. Put the world behind for awhile. And have some fun.

About two weeks back I bought a Sig Romeo green dot rifle sight from a fellow member here... I ended up putting it on my 79 year old evil black assault rifle.. (M1 Carbine with Choate folding stock and a scout rail on top)... took this to the range on Thursday and sighted it in at 50 yards... amazingly it was only about 4" off to the right initially. Fun to shoot...but I probably put less than 20 rounds through it. Then I ran some ammo through one of my 10/22s.... one with a fake suppressor on it... seems the urban legion that a fuel sediment collector will work as a supressor is just that... I can't tell a difference. then again I only took my ear muffs off when shooting the Federal ammo... the CCI Green Dots might have been a tad quieter... I think they might be subsonic.

Bob, that's a lot of shooting in a 44 & 45 for me.... I would be totally worn out after half of that.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I/we stopped at a neighbor's trap range for some blasting last evening. Grandson is shooting with the 'senior' (high school FFA) trap team this year and needed some private tune up before going public. About all I did was push the 'go button' on the thrower and give advice on which direction the miss went. Son dragged out his new FRANCHI O/U and found it much different than what he was used to--he likes it but wasn't hitting well.
When all the shooting was done, I asked for 3 shells and my old Mossberg 9200 that Grandson has been shooting. I have to shoot left handed since my right shoulder can't handle the recoil of a 12ga and hadn't shot for a year but I broke 1, knocked a chip off 1, and missed one. Guess that's not so bad. They said I broke 2 of 3 last year. I could do a bit better if standing directly behind the thrower rather than at the 16 yard line--gives me more time to get lined up before the bird is out of range.

Latest posts