I wanted a rugged reliable LCR to use but screwed up

Help Support Ruger Forum:

piratedude

Single-Sixer
I wanted a rugged reliable LCR to carry with me on hikes in the woods, but accidentally bought a Ruger Old Army instead. I just hope the RoA can withstand the punishment of the trail and holds up as reliably as the LCR would have.

piratedude

Single-Sixer
sdoyl123":2gdfvph6 said:
Wow that is quite a difference. On the Old Army, is it a 5.5 inch barrel or the 7.5?

5.5" Stainless. I was just joking about wanting an LCR actually. :D

piratedude

Single-Sixer
Sonnytoo":1fijzect said:
Actually, there are some similarities.
Sonnytoo

Like they are both firearms.... err actually I guess the ROA isn't a firearm... per se.... so I take that back.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Nothing against the Old Army, but I'd have a hard time carrying a black powder as a trail gun when you might need to use it and having misfires and caps fall off. I had an 1858 Remington, so maybe the OA is better made and doesn't have those problems.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
mattsbox99":2nkzx2fl said:
Nothing against the Old Army, but I'd have a hard time carrying a black powder as a trail gun when you might need to use it and having misfires and caps fall off. I had an 1858 Remington, so maybe the OA is better made and doesn't have those problems.

Somehow, my old armies and open top colt are much more reliable than my 1858 new army. Not sure why, but I have yet to have a misfire with either model, while my 1858 is lucky to get off six in a row.

Anyway, good choice! I'd love to carry the Old Army on the trail!

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
mattsbox99":3qyfctk8 said:

If caps are falling off your 1858 Remington, and you are using # 11s, try # 10s. Or spring for a new set of nipples. My 1858 Remington replica by Uberti is a darn reliable gun and I prefer it to my Colt replica and my ROA. My 1858 is certainly as reliable as the Colt/OA.

I can't get too excited about the OA. I just prefer the 1858 Remington altho I certainly shoot and use my OA.