I Thought My Gun Was Clean

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Teslong borescope proved me wrong. I cleaned my Black Mamba with my brass brush and patches until they came out white but just for fun I looked through the bore with my new Teslong borescope and found that I needed to do some more work.

There were still small chunks of lead in the barrel and the breach was pitiful. I grabbed my brush, some MPro-7 and patches and went at it again. After about 10 passes and 20 patches I looked again and the barrel was fine. The breach face also looked much better.

Looks like I'll be doing a better job in the future.

I have had a Teslong for about a month. Amazing what is inside a clean barrel. Clean at least with solvent and looking at patches followed up with the eye ball look down the muzzle.
I am going to make a post later when finished with tests on a 94 in 3030. Short version it has pitting every few inch's all around in the bore. I shot at 50yds, 4 of 5 shots are about 1 inch and with a flyer I called about an inch from that group using a peep sight. Today I mounted an optic sight on the rifle. After some shots at 25 yds moving the elevation up and down to get a zero. 3 of a 5 shot group cloverleafed the other 2 about an inch away. From a barrel that is clearly no good when you borescope it. If you seen the condition of the bore I doubt anyone would give me a penny for it.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Yes, with the revolver the cylinders have to be very clean so that when I make a reload the bullets drop right into them. It also affects accuracy.

As an example of getting the cylinders clean today I shot a ICORE revolver match where I had to do reloads under the clock. Each time, my bullets went into the cylinders without me having to push them in with my thumb. If they were dirty I'd have to give them a gentle nudge to get them all the way in.

all too often MOST folks have not idea "how clean" their chambers and bores actually are,,,,in the beginning we used to use mercury (tsk, tsk..) , then along came the Lewis Leader remover, ta daa do that to a "clean" bore and see what happen,,,,especially in 22s , many folks just polish it all down and make it "shiny....... :rolleyes: :cool:;)

I think the safest way to clean a badly fouled barrel is to swab out the fouling and fill it with kroil for a few days. Then any metal fouling should come out in chunks. I just use a bucket and seal it between uses.

I seldom, very seldom take a brush to a Barrel. I use Wipe-out foam and RamRodz. Tough cotton that fits the bore perfectly.

i8fxleY.jpg

About every 7th range session I use my Sonic Cleaner. One of the best investment I have made in the gun world. Does a great job on mags as well. In this batch I am using Ballistol Milk. Leaves a super slick film on them. Crud floats to the top and the ballistol is still milky clear underneath.
h93n1Pn.jpg

Last edited: