I swerved into the other lane a little.. Another Showed up!?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
Joined
Nov 20, 2009
Messages
731
Location
MN
Well, she arrived today..... lookin good, but it's just not BLUED!! I love Blued guns so...... we'll see how long i keep her around!

205s6xv.jpg







Don't be too hard on me! I saw this and had to have it!! I was looking for a Blue one (29) but then this came along at a great price!

This is a Smith & Wesson 629, no dash. Pinned and recessed. 99% new and in the box! Mmmmm Mmmmmm!! Blue would have made me happier but..... again, the price was right!

Now I need some smaller, more concealable grips! If it was blue I would have bought Ivory (eventually) but I'm not sure that would look as good on Stainless!

2564rx2.jpg

a07y1d.jpg
 

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Joined
Mar 18, 2002
Messages
2,113
Location
Cape Cod, MA, USA
We won't be too hard on you. Too hard... ;)

Nice gun!

If I might recommend Kim Ahrends for grips, I've been very happy with the ones I've got. Craig Spegel, too.

-- Sam
 

pyth0n

Buckeye
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
1,452
Location
Florida
50 lashes with a wet noodle!

Nice find. I know what you mean about the Blue. Colt and Smith had the best bluing, IMO. Enjoy.
 

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
Joined
Nov 20, 2009
Messages
731
Location
MN
I was told by a guy on the SW forum, that they only made this one for ONE YEAR (4" Pinned/Recessed) and that I probably should not shoot it!

Hmmmmmmmm Well, we'll see. I either sell it or shoot it a lot! I never had one I wouldn't shoot.
 

pyth0n

Buckeye
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
1,452
Location
Florida
ShortBBL said:
Don't be too hard on me! I saw this and had to have it!! I was looking for a Blue one (29) but then this came along at a great price!

This is a Smith & Wesson 629, no dash. Pinned and recessed. 99% new and in the box! Mmmmm Mmmmmm!! Blue would have made me happier but..... again, the price was right!

Now I need some smaller, more concealable grips! If it was blue I would have bought Ivory (eventually) but I'm not sure that would look as good on Stainless!

2564rx2.jpg

a07y1d.jpg

According to the Blue book, Thirty First Edition, "During 1978, approx. 100 pre-production revolvers were made with pinned barrels & recessed cylinders, serial range is N629,062 - N629-200, includes wood box. Prices range from $650-$750, depending on condition."
 

Cholo

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
8,455
Location
Georgia
Stoots said:
Sweet! I've been looking hard at a 629 Classic 5 incher!

:D

I've got a 29 Classic with a 6 1/2" barrel, the last year they made them whenever that was. I like the pinned/recessed Smiths of old, but they did turn out some pretty nice pre lock guns! I've never seen a 5" 629 Classic, but then again I've never seen Jessica Alba naked in my bed either :wink:

ShortBBL, shoot it, just go easy on it. It will look just like it does now if you take care of it and won't be worth any less.

pyth0n, I just saw your post. They're going for more than that where I live. Doesn't everything :cry:
 

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
Joined
Nov 20, 2009
Messages
731
Location
MN
pyth0n said:
ShortBBL said:
Don't be too hard on me! I saw this and had to have it!! I was looking for a Blue one (29) but then this came along at a great price!

This is a Smith & Wesson 629, no dash. Pinned and recessed. 99% new and in the box! Mmmmm Mmmmmm!! Blue would have made me happier but..... again, the price was right!

Now I need some smaller, more concealable grips! If it was blue I would have bought Ivory (eventually) but I'm not sure that would look as good on Stainless!

2564rx2.jpg

a07y1d.jpg

According to the Blue book, Thirty First Edition, "During 1978, approx. 100 pre-production revolvers were made with pinned barrels & recessed cylinders, serial range is N629,062 - N629-200, includes wood box. Prices range from $650-$750, depending on condition."

This one isn't a pre-production gun. This is a 629. They only made the 629 Pinned/recessed 4" bbl in 1981.

The collectors on the S&W Forms said up to $900 (or crazier on gun broken) in this shape.

I may just keep it anyway.
 
Joined
Mar 24, 2002
Messages
6,387
Location
Oregon City, Oregon
ShortBBL said:
Don't be too hard on me! I saw this and had to have it!! I was looking for a Blue one (29) but then this came along at a great price!

This is a Smith & Wesson 629, no dash.

Looks to me like you made it back into the correct lane. 8)

That is quite nice.

WAYNO.
 

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Joined
Mar 18, 2002
Messages
2,113
Location
Cape Cod, MA, USA
The guys on the S&W forum would have you put every pre-1980 gun away in Cosmoline if they had their way...

Shoot it. Even if it was something super rare and worth twice what you paid for it, or you got a GB-silly price for it, you'd have what, $1500? Hardly enough to retire on. Think of how much more fun it would be to shoot.

-- Sam
 

toolman

Bearcat
Joined
May 31, 2009
Messages
95
Location
warren mi
SWEEEEEET been looking for a good used one for some time thats a beauty a nice addition to any collection
 

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
Joined
Nov 20, 2009
Messages
731
Location
MN
Yosemite Sam said:
The guys on the S&W forum would have you put every pre-1980 gun away in Cosmoline if they had their way...

Shoot it. Even if it was something super rare and worth twice what you paid for it, or you got a GB-silly price for it, you'd have what, $1500? Hardly enough to retire on. Think of how much more fun it would be to shoot.-- Sam

That's some good thinkin right there! I probably "could" sell it and make a little... but then I'd replace it with one for cheaper, and not in such great shape... and then wish i had kept it.

I think this ones stickin around!!
 

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
Joined
Nov 20, 2009
Messages
731
Location
MN
I just wonder how Ivory would look on this one? I really wanted a blue 29... with ivory! Hmmmm
 

jgt

Buckeye
Joined
Jul 30, 2008
Messages
1,008
Location
coleman texas
I put smooth target S&W grips on mine and they feel great. I have small hands and for some reason the smooth grips are easier for me to shoot than the same in checkered. Mine is a six inch so not as rare as a four. Nice find. Enjoy.
 
Top